Ford 390 engine interchangability

Old March 23rd 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim[_23_]

Default Ford 390 engine interchangability

Now that I'm finally semi-retired the first project is putting another
engine in my 74 F-100. It originally had a 360 from the factory and
later two different 390's. It currently has a 390 from a junk LTD and
appears to have a cracked block. Used to be 332/390 series engines
were a dime a dozen, all I had to do was find a junk Mercury or LTD
station wagon. I'm hearing the thing to do now is put in a 460 in it.
Is the 460 an easy in and out engine swap?? Or is there any other
late Ford V-8's that will be an easy in and out job?? Thx in advance
for any advice, it is really appreciated, Jim

Old March 23rd 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

FE's (390) have a different transmission bolt pattern/mount from the 460, so
you will need a 460 automatic transmission or a 460 bell housing as well...

Other than that on the '74 F-100 you my need 460 accessory mounting
brackets, exhaust parts and pieces, motor mounts and stands, and a truck oil
pan?

Good luck

ups.com...

Old March 24th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Antique Muscle

Jim,

The 360/390 series block is from the FE family of Ford blocks. The 460 is
from the 385 series. They are not as similar as you would guess. The 460
is an excellent choice, but it will take some work getting there. You will
need to find a bell housing for the 385 series pattern. This would include
the 335 series (i.e. cleveland blocks). If you are dealing with an
automatic, this may not be a big issue. If you can get an engine/tranny
combo, this will help with flywheel issues as well.

There are some other issues you will need to deal with. bottom line is the
390 and the 460 are from different engine familys and are not direct bolt
in.

ups.com...

Old March 25th 07, 09:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"Antique Muscle" > wrote in message
t...
> Jim,
>
> The 360/390 series block is from the FE family of Ford blocks. The 460 is
> from the 385 series. They are not as similar as you would guess. The 460
> is an excellent choice, but it will take some work getting there. You
> will
> need to find a bell housing for the 385 series pattern. This would
> include
> the 335 series (i.e. cleveland blocks). If you are dealing with an

No, the 385 series engines have a bigger bell housing bolt pattern, all of
the the original 1970-1974 335 series "Cleveland" engines have a "small
block bolt pattern, just like the 302/5.0 that will not fit the 460 block.
Some of the early 1974ish 351M/400 blocks had the small block bell housing
bolt pattern as well. All of the later 400's were the same "big block" bell
housing bolt pattern as the 460.

Old March 26th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
alphonso

All FE motors (330 -28) use the the same bellhousing pattern.

221, 260, '64 early 65 289 use unique 5 bolt pattern.

Mid '65 and on 289, 302, 351W, 351C, as well as 250 and 300 6cyl share a
common pattern.

351M, 400M, 429 and 460 share a common pattern; the 385 series mount.

--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.