squeaking clutch at friction point

Old February 10th 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default squeaking clutch at friction point

hello--

last month, i purchased a 2000 miata with 23k miles on it (was the
weekend car for the couple that owned it previously). about 2 weeks
ago, i started noticing a squeak while the clutch passed through the
friction point. this happens in first and reverse while starting from
a standstill. i haven't heard it in other gears during shifts while
moving.

the squeak is emitted toward the latter end of clutch engagement. if i
let off the clutch quickly, no noise is made; but if i accelerate hard
through the clutch release, then i get a squeak for perhaps a second or
two (or three). the squeak is low frequency--not like squealing of
tires or brake....more like the creaking of a rusty metal something.
it sounds like its coming from the transmission area, but sometimes it
sounds like it's closer to the diff.

all the info i've found on this newsgroup and miata.net about squeaky
clutches seem to deal with just the clutch linkages (i.e. the clutch
pedal, master & slave cylinder and other linkages)--this noise seems to
be related to the clutch itself (clutch plate and fly wheel?). if the
engine is off, releasing the clutch makes no noise.

i'm suspecting a worn out clutch, but it seems a bit early for only 23k
miles. i did "test" the clutch by letting it out slowly with the
e-brake on...its a bit hard to tell, but i felt that i could let the
clutch out more than i was expecting before the engine would start to
die. i did get some squeaking during one of the "tests".

any ideas on what this might be? throw out bearing? worn clutch? any
recommendations for a mechanic in san francisco (or nearby)?

many thanks for any advice,

sandheep

Old February 10th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article .com>,
"sandheep" > wrote:

> the squeak is emitted toward the latter end of clutch engagement. if i
> let off the clutch quickly, no noise is made; but if i accelerate hard
> through the clutch release, then i get a squeak for perhaps a second or
> two (or three).

In other cars I've owned, this noise has seemed to be a symptom of
infrequent use. My Accord did it for awhile, but now at 180k miles its
original clutch is still going strong.

I'd turn up the radio and forget about it.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old February 10th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers > wrote in
:

> I'd turn up the radio and forget about it.

Why not do like everyone else, talk on your cell phone while driving,
that should fix it.... :-(

Old February 10th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E wrote:
> Lanny Chambers > wrote in
> :
>

>>I'd turn up the radio and forget about it.

> Why not do like everyone else, talk on your cell phone while driving,
> that should fix it.... :-(

Now here is something that we agree about! I was actually almost hit by
a bicyclist who was talking on their cell phone yesterday, they were
moving fast and never saw me.

I don't do resolutions as a rule, but I promised myself absolutely no
more talking on the phone while operating the car, not even for just a
few seconds. It is hard not to look at it to see who is calling when it
rings, but I have resisted even that so far, at least until I come to a
complete stop.

It's not like an artery isn't going to get sewn up or people in power
won't receive the secret codes if they don't get hold of me right away.
I can call back like the good ole days, except that all I have to do is
pull over instead of look for a pay phone.

As much as I hate adding even more laws, I would support any ban on
using cell phones while driving, with significant fines and real
enforcement.

Pat
Old February 10th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> I'd turn up the radio and forget about it.

Lanny,
I didn't think that you listened to the radio while driving. You
mentioned the Accord, but wouldn't turning up the radio be the same fix
in the Miata?

I think that you just could not resist that latest Ashlee Simpson CD and
must hear it as often as possible. ;-)

Pat
Old February 10th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

There is a squawk that can come from bushings in the drive train. perhaps
that is what you are hearing. Usually sounds like it might be from the rear
suspension.

oups.com...

Old February 10th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> I don't do resolutions as a rule, but I promised myself absolutely no
> more talking on the phone while operating the car, not even for just a
> few seconds. It is hard not to look at it to see who is calling when it
> rings, but I have resisted even that so far, at least until I come to a
> complete stop.

Are you having trouble locating the OFF switch?

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old February 10th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> I didn't think that you listened to the radio while driving.

I don't. It was a suggestion based on an assumption that he's more
"normal" than me. BTW, I don't own a cell phone, either.

> I think that you just could not resist that latest Ashlee Simpson CD

Never heard of her. Is that Homer's sister?

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old February 10th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> Are you having trouble locating the OFF switch?

No, but my brain has had trouble remembering to turn it back on. I do at
least always remember to turn it off during movies, jury trial
selection, etc.

The thing usually goes in the trunk on any extended trip, and I didn't
even have one for about 2 years until a few months ago, so I don't think
that we have much to argue about here.

Pat

Old February 10th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> I don't. It was a suggestion based on an assumption that he's more
> "normal" than me. BTW, I don't own a cell phone, either.

Well, him being more normal than you is a very easy and understandable
assumption to make. ;-)

I didn't have a cell phone either for a long time until recently. We got
by for many years without them, but they can be quite handy in emergencies.

I have called in a non life-threatening injury accident myself when I
was first on the scene with my last cell phone a few years back. Nobody
in either wrecked car had one to call with.

They are also great for people, men or women, who are being followed,
they allow obvious drunk drivers to be called in immediately, hits &
runs, etc., the things have their uses.

The problem is that the most common use is to jabber and be distrated
from driving, but any item can be misused.
That is why I want laws that are actually enforced. If you are seen
talking and driving, it should be an emergency that you are reporting
which is easy enough to verify.

> Never heard of her. Is that Homer's sister?

Might be, Ashlee Simpson sings about as well as Homer Simpson performs
his job.

Surely you jest, and yes, I am calling you surely..........(I hope you
at least got that one). :-)

Pat (back to work)

97 TJ 4.0L Clutch Won't Release - Throw Out Bearing Gone? Tqm Jeep 20 January 19th 06 02:04 AM
Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 02:33 AM
95 Jeep Wrangler Shifting problems [email protected] Jeep 12 January 21st 05 06:56 PM
Clutch question XS11E Ford Mustang 8 December 9th 04 06:12 PM
Alpha 156 2.4 JTD clutch biting point Nick Alfa Romeo 6 July 7th 04 03:48 PM