Volkswagen PCV(?) valve question

Old February 4th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

Default Volkswagen PCV(?) valve question

I'm currently still working on the girlie's Corrado G60... reason for
current thrash is a bad noise from some belt driven accessory, combined
with copious amounts of oil throughout the intake piping, supercharger,
intercooler, etc.

I have removed a big square breather looking thing from the valve cover.
It for all the world looks like some kind of PCV valve assembly but it
is perfectly hollow inside, and is essentially a big hollow passage. I
am thinking that this can't possibly be correct, because then when the
return line to the SC intake is pressurized (as can happen at closed
throttle/high RPM) the crankcase would then be pressurized. Am I right?
I'm guessing I need to buy a new one but would like confirmation
before I do so.

Bentley manual, online searches show nothing... "a certain program"
shows this part as a "pressure regulating valve" and this one certainly
does not regulate pressure, so I'm thinking that a previous owner gutted
it for unknown reasons, and also for unknown reasons no mechanic has
caught the error?

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 6th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Daryl Bryant

Superchargers pressurizes the intake air above atmospheric pressures - the
hollow part is made of some sort of metal alloy - Aluminum?
Not plastic - Sounds right to me!!

What's the reason that you're dismantling engine parts??

--
Bing Bang Boom Voila Done!

Old February 6th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

Daryl Bryant wrote:
> Superchargers pressurizes the intake air above atmospheric pressures - the
> hollow part is made of some sort of metal alloy - Aluminum?
> Not plastic - Sounds right to me!!
>
> What's the reason that you're dismantling engine parts??

eh, the factory boost tubes were plastic... so are the end caps on the
intercooler... car is in surgery because of a bad rotating accessory
noise and copious amounts of oil in the intake, I suspect this may be a
sign the supercharger is leaking more than boosting and needs to be
rebuilt... I've fired the engine with the serp. belt off and the intake
disconnected and aside from the sucking noises from the throttle body it
sounded a lot better, so I'm thinking I'm on the right track.

nate