1998 Dodge Caravan- Headlight issue

Old December 7th 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Flip

Default 1998 Dodge Caravan- Headlight issue

Okay Dodge pros, here's what I got:

For a while, the headlights would come on after jiggling the headlight
switch a little bit.

Then, one day I found the battery was dead. Jump started it, and now
headlights do not come on with the switch at all. No lights. No parking
lights. Rolller switch does not turn on the interior lights, either.
Both headlight switch and roller switch for dome lights will still cause the
"ding" when turned on while the key is in the ignition.
I can get the high beams to come on with the highbeam switch (flicking the
directional handle back).

Here's what I've done- I checked the fuses, but not the relays. There are
two relays, one for high beam, and one for low beam. Since I have neither
with the switch, and highbeams with the highbeam switch, I don't think it's
the relays. I could be wrong.

I've changed out the headlight switch (See prior post on getting the dash
board apart) However, I was given a switch that includes fog lights, and my
car does not have fog lights. The parts store is ordering the other part to
see if that is it. I don't suspect that will make much difference.

A little history- A few years ago, the battery died. I changed it out, and
had a bunch lights around the Rear wiper buttons, rear wash button, ac
button, rear defrost button and re-circulation button flashing. I brought it
to a shop that was able to reduce the flashing lights to just those around
the rear wiper buttons. I have no idea what is up with that, and really
don't care, as it didn't affect the way the car ran. After driving the car
for 30 mins, the lights went out anyway.

Recently, the FM signal on the radio started to fade in and out.

Anyone out there have any clue as to what's going on with this car? Ghosts
in the machine? Gremlims (Not the AMC type!). Or is there some logic to
all this that someone can make sense of ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance the forum can offer.

12vman

Old December 7th 06, 09:01 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Flip" > wrote in message
> Okay Dodge pros, here's what I got:
>
> For a while, the headlights would come on after jiggling the headlight
> switch a little bit.
>
> Then, one day I found the battery was dead. Jump started it, and now
> headlights do not come on with the switch at all. No lights. No parking
> lights. Rolller switch does not turn on the interior lights, either.
> Both headlight switch and roller switch for dome lights will still cause

the
> "ding" when turned on while the key is in the ignition.
> I can get the high beams to come on with the highbeam switch (flicking the
> directional handle back).
>
> Here's what I've done- I checked the fuses, but not the relays. There are
> two relays, one for high beam, and one for low beam. Since I have neither
> with the switch, and highbeams with the highbeam switch, I don't think

it's
> the relays. I could be wrong.
>
> I've changed out the headlight switch (See prior post on getting the dash
> board apart) However, I was given a switch that includes fog lights, and

my
> car does not have fog lights. The parts store is ordering the other part

> see if that is it. I don't suspect that will make much difference.
>
> A little history- A few years ago, the battery died. I changed it out,

and
> had a bunch lights around the Rear wiper buttons, rear wash button, ac
> button, rear defrost button and re-circulation button flashing. I brought

it
> to a shop that was able to reduce the flashing lights to just those around
> the rear wiper buttons. I have no idea what is up with that, and really
> don't care, as it didn't affect the way the car ran. After driving the car
> for 30 mins, the lights went out anyway.
>
> Recently, the FM signal on the radio started to fade in and out.
>
> Anyone out there have any clue as to what's going on with this car?

Ghosts
> in the machine? Gremlims (Not the AMC type!). Or is there some logic to
> all this that someone can make sense of ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance the forum can offer.
>
> 12vman

The multifunction switch is more then likely the cause of your problem.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech