Info wanted, importing vintage car into Canada

Old September 27th 03, 03:03 AM
Don

Default Info wanted, importing vintage car into Canada

What is the procedure for buying an 45 yr. old car (has registration
but it's disassembled and in boxes) from the States. The American owner
is prepared to deliver it all to the border or across if necessary. If
he declares to Canada Customs that he's bringing it across for a
pre-arranged sale, is he penalized in any way? Do we have to conduct our
biz right at Canada Customs at the border or can he bring it across and
we can load it all into my trailer, do the paperwork/money dealings and
I take the paperwork to Customs to get the duties/taxes sorted out?
Also, isn't there a reduced duty or tax break for cars in pieces or as
parts?

I'll be talking with Canada Customs on Monday morning but I'll bet
someone here in the NG has all the answers that will take me hours
trying to get from Canada Customs' automated voice messaging BS.

Thanks in advance

Don

Old September 27th 03, 03:06 AM
Don

Forgot to say, please remove the spamoff from the above addie to reply
via Email

Old September 27th 03, 02:04 PM
dodgeboy

Since there are no duties any more that answers that question. They rip
you for the PST And GST applicable in your Province. If the vender
brings it across the border he has to pay the GST And PST. If they get
honory he could be in for some Income Tax hassles. They (Canada Customs)
are the best source for the true rules and regs
Dodgeboy

Old September 27th 03, 02:56 PM
Bob Paulin

Don > wrote in article
> What is the procedure for buying an 45 yr. old car (has registration
> but it's disassembled and in boxes) from the States. The American owner
> is prepared to deliver it all to the border or across if necessary. If
> he declares to Canada Customs that he's bringing it across for a
> pre-arranged sale, is he penalized in any way? Do we have to conduct our
> biz right at Canada Customs at the border or can he bring it across and
> we can load it all into my trailer, do the paperwork/money dealings and
> I take the paperwork to Customs to get the duties/taxes sorted out?
> Also, isn't there a reduced duty or tax break for cars in pieces or as
> parts?
>
> I'll be talking with Canada Customs on Monday morning but I'll bet
> someone here in the NG has all the answers that will take me hours
> trying to get from Canada Customs' automated voice messaging BS.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Don

Don:

Here is my singular experience in selling a vehicle across the border.

I sold a non-running, 92 Astro van to my cousin in New Brunswick.

On the U.S. side, I had to get the title to U.S. Customs at least 72 hours
prior to my cousin towing the van across the border. I stopped at the U.S.
Customs with the original title on one of my frequent Canadian trips. On a
45-year-old car, the title may be moot.

They copied it and returned it to me, saying that they only needed to
verify the authenticity of the title. They would/could have held the title
until the vehicle crossed, but I gave it to my cousin when he picked the
vehicle up.

When he crossed, he stopped on the U.S. side for them to verify the title
versus the V.I.N. (5 minutes)

When he crossed, he stopped at Canadian Customs to pay the various taxes
that were necessary. They even charged him an additional $100 luxury tax
because the van had A/C. he spent something like 20 minutes on the Candian
side, but says that 10 of those minutes were waiting for the agent to get
off the telephone.

I believe the whole keyt o the transaction was that I had called the U.S.
Customs to see what was necessary, and my cousin had called Canadian
Customs to see whatr they required.

Overall, he said there was really no hassle, in spite of warnings from some
of his friends that it would be a bureaucratic nightmare.

Call both U.S. and Canadian Customs to determine exactly what they will
require, prepare to meet those requirements, and if everything is in order
when you go to cross, it should be just a couple of simple procedures.

Neither of us spent an inordinate amount of time with either U.S. or
Canadian Customs on the telephone, and the time taken was well worth it -
with a simple, problem-free border crossing.

Bob Paulin
Old September 27th 03, 09:21 PM
Don

Thanks, Bob
Your experience sounds textbook perfect and what I kind of expect.
After all, there are probably thousands of vehicles every year going one
way or the other. There are vintage/classic/old cars being brought into
Canada from the US daily. Doesn't seem that any of those guys are
watching this newsgroup. Too busy truckin' cars or counting their money

Don

Old September 29th 03, 10:13 PM
Steve Sears

Don,
You might check out the web page at:
http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/.../rc4140-e.html
It's Canada Customs' web site, and the info for bringing a car in is
there...except it glosses over one important detail (note in the paragraph
near the addresses on the page , about regulations in the US and other
countries):
If you bring a vehicle _OUT_ of the US, you _MUST_ let US Customs know 72
hours in advance. US Customs will probably require that the _original_
documents are presented, not faxed or photocopies.
Check out the US Customs web page at:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/export/ex...or_vehicle.xml
There are a number of things that Customs can get you for - a friend of mine
shipped in an Audi ur-Quattro from Germany and they required that the car be
"cleaned" - what he described as a "bio/chemical warfare kind of wash" - it
cost him $150:
http://www.quattro.ca/1985UrqCanada/00001.JPG
Now you're bring in a car over land from the US (not by ship like he was),
but make sure you talk to somebody at Canada Customs (not just voicemail),
get their name, and make sure you have everything crystal clear before you
proceed. Maybe have the vendor do the same on that side of the border.
Remember that if the frontline staff make a decision, their supervisors will
seldom reverse it (that's why you should get a name in advance)
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5000CD quattro
1980 Audi 5000S
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - 64 from Penn. (BTDT, Part I),
62 from Mass. (BTDT, Part II - have the scars to prove it)

Old April 7th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
WhatsinAname !

In August I purchased a 1968 GTO from Arizona and had it trucked up.

The 72 hours is mandatory.My agent thought the owner(he says)
contacted customs and the owner showed me an email from my carrier
saying they would do it.Either way my car went into a warehouse for a
week while the carrier and customs argued the point.I of course was
the one that waited anyway so the point I am trying to make is this.

You call customs at least 72 hours before the product comes across and
you should be okay. I was told that only the car was across the
border.Anything else in the trunk or in the car , other than a spare
tire and jack could be sent back to Arizona.Be prepared to pick your
stuff up at a" customs warehouse" in a major city, not at the actual
border as they insist on at least one day at $75.00 per day, usually
two days to snoop thru your stuff.This was how it went with a private
carrier that "specialized" in cross border carrys.

Hope this helped.

One more thing.If it has air conditioning it is $100.00 more.

Old April 7th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.antique

Hi Don.

As far as I know, a vehicle in pieces is exaclty that ... car parts. There
should be no requirement for a lawful Title to bring car parts into Canada.
Having said that ....

In August of '06 I exported a 1920 Ford into Saskatchewan. First things first:
make sure the vehicle you're after IS NOT on the 'banned vehicles list' in
Canada.

http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

The proper procedure for EXPORTING INTO CANADA was that the owner had to fax 3
copies of the vehicle's Title to whatever US border crossing I was coming back
thru. Also, and there was a technical term for this, but the faxes basically
had to come from a lawyers office. The minimum amount of time the Title should
be faxed ahead of your arrival at the border crossing with the vehicle is 72
hours ... but 4 or 5 or 6 days ahead is better. When I entered the US to buy
the vehicle, I asked the USA border agents if they had received the faxes and
they said yes, but they hadn't received word back yet from whoever they forward
the copies to (for the missing/stolen vehicle search). These border guys were
very nice and said they'd make a phonecall. They told me to go ahead and
continue on my way but to call them before I started heading back to the border
crossing with the vehicle. So I inspected and bought the vehicle, made the
phonecall and headed back up. They confirmed the VIN# which on this old vehicle
was the engine or frame serial number (I don't recall which at the moment),
stamped the Title as 'Exported' and sent me over to the Canadian side. All the
Canuck guys want is to see the Bill of Sale in order to assess the GST I had to
pay. After paying I was on my merry way home.

Here's the condensed version:

1. Get the owner to fax atleast 3 copies of the Title to the USA border
crossing you are coming back thru, atleast 3 days or more if possible ahead of
your arrival at the border with your newly purchased vehicle. Get the owner to
fax the copies from a lawyers office (not the local Starbucks cafe).

2. If you purchase the vehicle, there are questions on the back of the Title
that MUST be filled out by the seller. You won't get thru US Customs if the
back of the Title is blank.

3. Make sure you get a Bill of Sale from the USA owner. It must be a proper
Bill of Sale, and not something scribbled on a cafe napkin. The seller can
probably get a blank form at whatever lawyers office they faxed the Title from.
Make sure the Bill of Sale has the proper date, purchase amount, your name (and
possibly address) and the sellers name and address on it.

4. On your way home, at the border crossing you go to the USA side first, give
them the Title, and let them check the VIN# on it against the vehicle. They
will stamp the Title, hand it back to you, and then instruct you to proceed to
the Canadian office.

5. On the Canadian side you hand over the BIll of Sale and pay whatever GST
they calculate (probably a few hundred dollars) ... yeah, they have a card
swipe machine. They hand the Bill of Sale back to you and .... they also will
issue you a document which requires the vehicle to be inspected within 45 days.
You take the vehicle and the document to your Provincial auto-insurer or what
ever business/mechanic who may be an accredited inspector.

6. Yer done !!!

MUST DO's
Make sure the seller faxes 3 copies of the Title from a lawyers office.
Make sure YOU get the Title from the seller.
Make sure YOU get the Bill of Sale from the seller.
Make sure the owner fills out the back of the Title.
Make sure the VIN# on the Title matches the vehicle.

The USA vehicle Title is a living document. For Americans the Title lives as
long as the vehicle. Once the vehicle is wrecked then the Title expires and a
Junkers Certificate is issued, which again is a living document. Without either
of these pieces of paper .... a vehicle is pretty much useless (un-licenseable)
in the USA unless it stays on private property. It's a good idea to put the
Title in your safe or safe deposit box at the bank to keep it safe. It may be
needed if you wish to sell the vehicle back into the USA.

Once you get back home with the vehicle it is YOUR responsibility to have the
vehicle safety'd (inspected).

http://www.moverscanada.com/vehicle_...tructions.html

Regards,
Garnie

Old April 7th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Grumpy AuContraire

wrote:

> [...]
>>>side, but says that 10 of those minutes were waiting for the agent to get
>>>off the telephone.
>>>
>>>I believe the whole keyt o the transaction was that I had called the U.S.
>>>Customs to see what was necessary, and my cousin had called Canadian
>>>Customs to see whatr they required.
>>>
>>>Overall, he said there was really no hassle, in spite of warnings from some
>>>of his friends that it would be a bureaucratic nightmare.
>>>
>>>Call both U.S. and Canadian Customs to determine exactly what they will
>>>require, prepare to meet those requirements, and if everything is in order
>>>when you go to cross, it should be just a couple of simple procedures.
>>>
>>>Neither of us spent an inordinate amount of time with either U.S. or
>>>Canadian Customs on the telephone, and the time taken was well worth it -
>>>with a simple, problem-free border crossing.

So, what happens if the vehicle is imported from a state that does not
title vehicles over ten years of age such as Rhode Island?

JT