Lightweight 4x4, flip down windshield (I bought a Sami!)

Old April 23rd 04, 08:31 PM

Default Lightweight 4x4, flip down windshield (I bought a Sami!)

in rec.autos.4x4,
Jack Daynes > wrote:
>> Tippy? Na, it depends if you try and tip it or not....
>> http://www.island4x4.com/temppic/floplj1.jpg
>> Check out that angle... It went about 20 feet before going for a nice
>> flop

>=================================
>Ouch!
>=================================

Not really, it's seen worse plus, that is half the fun of having it off
road!

>Well I decided on the Samurai. At about 1800 lbs.
>(vs. about 3700 for the Jeep or Toyota) it seems
>to fit my needs. I found one locally that had 96K
>on it (probably much of it towed), not an oil leak
>to be found, very clean, straight body, no after
>market gear (YET), 4 extra leaf springs (in case I
>decide to lift it), very smooth running, new hoses
>and belts (including timing belt), two piece
>removable fiberglass top, and glass rear window
>(with electric defogger).
>
>Some might suggest that I paid too much ($3400),
>but I felt good about the way this individual
>represented the rig to me.
>
>Two items in my immediate future are the
>windshield kit ($99 at Rocky-Road Outfitters)
><http://www.rocky-road.com/zukmisc.html> and a tow
>bar. I'm thinking that I'll keep the rig mostly
>stock for now and see how I like it. Later I may
>go for a lift and bigger tires, but if I see the
>need, I'll cross those bridges.

Sounds like you got a really nice rig! I really liked the CJ5 springs
that were under the sami that I was driving, I think it was a little work
to re-locate the spring hangers. That and a bit larger shackel and
31" tires fit no problems. Other tips, when you are putting on your
springs and shackel bolts, us the ny-lock nuts, tighten them to about 20
ft/lbs it lets them move around and flex a litte more. Also open up the
spring clamps, there is 2 clamps that hold all the leafs together, open
them up on the top so they form a U with an open top, lets things drop a
little more then normal.

Enjoy your new toy!
~Brian

Old April 23rd 04, 09:07 PM
Jack Daynes

> in rec.autos.4x4,
> Jack Daynes > wrote:
>
>>>Tippy? Na, it depends if you try and tip it or not....

http://www.island4x4.com/temppic/floplj1.jpg
>>>Check out that angle... It went about 20 feet before going for a nice
>>>flop

>>=================================
>>Ouch!
>>=================================

> Not really, it's seen worse plus, that is half the fun of having it off
> road!
>

>>Well I decided on the Samurai. At about 1800 lbs.
>>(vs. about 3700 for the Jeep or Toyota) it seems
>>to fit my needs. I found one locally that had 96K
>>on it (probably much of it towed), not an oil leak
>>to be found, very clean, straight body, no after
>>market gear (YET), 4 extra leaf springs (in case I
>>decide to lift it), very smooth running, new hoses
>>and belts (including timing belt), two piece
>>removable fiberglass top, and glass rear window
>>(with electric defogger).
>>
>>Some might suggest that I paid too much ($3400),
>>but I felt good about the way this individual
>>represented the rig to me.
>>
>>Two items in my immediate future are the
>>windshield kit ($99 at Rocky-Road Outfitters)
>><http://www.rocky-road.com/zukmisc.html> and a tow
>>bar. I'm thinking that I'll keep the rig mostly
>>stock for now and see how I like it. Later I may
>>go for a lift and bigger tires, but if I see the
>>need, I'll cross those bridges.

> Sounds like you got a really nice rig! I really liked the CJ5 springs
> that were under the sami that I was driving, I think it was a little work
> to re-locate the spring hangers. That and a bit larger shackel and
> 31" tires fit no problems. Other tips, when you are putting on your
> springs and shackel bolts, us the ny-lock nuts, tighten them to about 20
> ft/lbs it lets them move around and flex a litte more. Also open up the
> spring clamps, there is 2 clamps that hold all the leafs together, open
> them up on the top so they form a U with an open top, lets things drop a
> little more then normal.
>
> Enjoy your new toy!
> ~Brian

Thanks for the tips Brian. I'm filing your advice
right now, so when I get ready to make a decision,
I'll exploit your ideas.

I've also begun a search for a lockable WP storage
box to fit where the back seat now sits. I did
find this one: <http://www.thejeep.com/jeepbox/>,
but I'd like to get something that opens from the
middle (hinges on each end and overlap at the
center) so access from from *OR* rear would work.

Do I need to build my own?
--
-- Jack --

Old April 23rd 04, 09:07 PM