RSC and their mods

Old August 20th 05, 11:13 AM
Steve Simpson

Some nice stuff on your web site there
Old August 20th 05, 11:36 AM
jon

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in message
news:4RANe.100042$E95.69983@fed1read01...

> First a RSC moderator edits a post of my to delete a link to a widely
> available (back in 2002) video of David Coulthard doing a qualifying
> lap back from 2002. I had a yellow warning avatar attached to all my
> posts, and a private email stating it was because in that moderator's
> opinion, that any video showing a F1 car would be copywrighted. Another
> person posted in a thread asking why I got a yellow warning.
>
> I responded to the moderator that the video in question had been in the
> public domain for a long time,

How do you figure it was in the public domain? I would imagine that most,
if not all, F1 footage from recent years is (c) FOA. For example, see
http://www.f1onboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=6703

Old August 20th 05, 12:00 PM
Jeff Reid

> Some nice stuff on your web site there

Thanks, it's a shame that no one can ever post a link to any
of those videos at RSC anymore. However feel free to copy
and/or rehost anything you find on my web site. That stuff is
there to share, and I'm not worried about getting credit for
it. It's sort of a hobby of mine.

Old August 20th 05, 12:30 PM
Jeff Reid

>> First a RSC moderator edits a post of my to delete a link to a widely
>> available (back in 2002) video of David Coulthard doing a qualifying
>> lap back from 2002. I had a yellow warning avatar attached to all my
>> posts, and a private email stating it was because in that moderator's
>> opinion, that any video showing a F1 car would be copywrighted. Another
>> person posted in a thread asking why I got a yellow warning.
>>
>> I responded to the moderator that the video in question had been in the
>> public domain for a long time,

> How do you figure it was in the public domain? I would imagine that most, if not all, F1 footage from recent years is
> (c) FOA. For example, see http://www.f1onboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=6703

I don't think it came from an actual F1 event. It's a on-board video of David
Coulthard doing a solo run of a single lap at Spa, probably a demonstration for
the broadcaster and not an actual F1 qualifying lap (although the time was quick).
The commentator has an English accent, but I don't remember what country the
broadcaster was located. At the time I downloaded the video, I was pretty sure
that the web site hosting the video mentioned that the video was released by
the broadcaster, or David Coulthard himself, into the public domain (which is
why I believe that it wasn't an F1 event, since the broadcaster or David
Coulthard was releasing this video). This was over 3 years ago, and I don't
remember that URL anymore, although I've seen it at other web sites. You can
download this video from the link, and let me know if you recognize it. This
video has been around at many sites since 2002, and other than the passing
of time and lack of interest, I assume it's still around at many sites, just
harder to find.

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/spaf1.wmv

Old August 20th 05, 12:45 PM
whooo

Jeff Reid wrote:
>>>First a RSC moderator edits a post of my to delete a link to a widely
>>>available (back in 2002) video of David Coulthard doing a qualifying
>>>lap back from 2002. I had a yellow warning avatar attached to all my
>>>posts, and a private email stating it was because in that moderator's
>>>opinion, that any video showing a F1 car would be copywrighted. Another
>>>person posted in a thread asking why I got a yellow warning.
>>>
>>>I responded to the moderator that the video in question had been in the
>>>public domain for a long time,

>>How do you figure it was in the public domain? I would imagine that most, if not all, F1 footage from recent years is
>>(c) FOA. For example, see http://www.f1onboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=6703

> I don't think it came from an actual F1 event. It's a on-board video of David
> Coulthard doing a solo run of a single lap at Spa, probably a demonstration for
> the broadcaster and not an actual F1 qualifying lap (although the time was quick).
> The commentator has an English accent, but I don't remember what country the
> broadcaster was located. At the time I downloaded the video, I was pretty sure
> that the web site hosting the video mentioned that the video was released by
> the broadcaster, or David Coulthard himself, into the public domain (which is
> why I believe that it wasn't an F1 event, since the broadcaster or David
> Coulthard was releasing this video). This was over 3 years ago, and I don't
> remember that URL anymore, although I've seen it at other web sites. You can
> download this video from the link, and let me know if you recognize it. This
> video has been around at many sites since 2002, and other than the passing
> of time and lack of interest, I assume it's still around at many sites, just
> harder to find.
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/spaf1.wmv

That's Brundle doing the commentary. It must have been a morning
practice session. As if Bernie E was ever going to sue RSC for link to a
video clip. Some people are so stupid. I suspect some mods just love to
use their powers!
Old August 20th 05, 01:20 PM
Dave Henrie

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in

>> If I were given a warning for something I posted, rather than lashing
>> out at the moderators, I'd re-examine my own behavior and if I felt
>> the warning was unwarranted I would contact the moderators privately.
>> I'm certain doing that would provide a positive result in all but
>> the most extreme cases.

> Extreme cases, like mine:
>
> First a RSC moderator edits a post of my to delete a link to a widely
> available (back in 2002) video of David Coulthard doing a qualifying
> lap back from 2002. I had a yellow warning avatar attached to all my
> posts, and a private email stating it was because in that moderator's
> opinion, that any video showing a F1 car would be copywrighted.
> Another person posted in a thread asking why I got a yellow warning.
>
> I responded to the moderator that the video in question had been in
> the public domain for a long time, but agreed not to post a link to it
> at RSC. The moderator insisted on leaving the yellow warning unless I
> got the FIA to mail a letter to RSC stating I had permission to host
> the video. I responded back that this was the equivalent of being
> "assumed guilty until proven innocent" and that it was also the
> equivalent of defamation of character.
>
> Then a RSC moderator responded that I could no longer post a link to
> any video, including the videos I personally made (I've made
> a lot of racing game videos, and have posted these at many forums).
>
> About the same time, Mbrio privately mailed to me that my reference to
> "defamation of character" was "extremely serious", and unless I sent a
> written letter agreeing to their policies within 24 hours, I would be
> banned. I responded that I never agreed to having a warning avatar
> attached to my posts, that I no longer wanted to be a member of RSC,
> and wanted all of my posts deleted, as I considered my posts to be
> copyrighted, and because of their violation of the original member
> agreement, I was no longer giving them permission to host my posts.
> Mbrio later sent me a regular email stating that I had been banned
> and that all my posts were deleted as requested.

Thats it? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING? All this angst, all this
indignation over a yellow warning icon? Gosh. It is a wonder your kids
haven't been run out of school, or that your wife still walks down the
street in public with you. I'm suprised that grocers sell you food since
EVERYONE knows you have a yellow icon.

I'm sorry I ever got involved in this thread. I'm done. I cannot
believe that this is the reason for all these posts. Good day to all.
Ask me a question about a sim, ask me how to be a really slow sim driver,
but don't expect me to contribute to this drivel any further.
dave henrie
Old August 20th 05, 01:58 PM
Jeff Reid

>> I don't think it came from an actual F1 event. It's a on-board video of David
>> Coulthard doing a solo run of a single lap at Spa, probably a demonstration for

>> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/spaf1.wmv

> That's Brundle doing the commentary. It must have been a morning practice session. As if Bernie E was ever going to
> sue RSC for link to a video clip. Some people are so stupid. I suspect some mods just love to use their powers!

Yeah, now I remember that the announcer was Martin Brundle. Also, if I
remember correctly, the video was from a broadcast (or rebroadcast) from ITV.

I think my posts about Live For Speed weren't sitting well with the mods
at RSC, and I was getting a bit of extra attention. I complained about the
physics in S1 making cars like the LX6 unstable (this wasn't popular
with the die-hard Live For Slow fans). When S2 alpha was released, I
was asking for two things. Slicks for all cars (there's a mod for this
now, only 15kb in size, just do a web search), and faster shifters for
the race cars. I posted a link to two videos, one of a BMW 320 E36 race
car in action with a very fast sequential shifter. Turn down the speakers
on this first video, the rear end is really loud (high pitch squeal
at high speeds). It's a cool video because there are 4 classes of cars
running, and this very fast car is starting from the back of the pack
because of a qualifying issue:

Click on the Rolf Van Os in een BMW ... E36 link he
http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/videos.asp

and I posted a link to that DC (David Coulthard) video, as an example
of a fast autoshifter. I had posted the link to that DC video
several times before at RSC, without any issue. I think that my LFS
suggestions were the real reason I was getting so much attention
from the moderators, but it could have just been coincidence that
this was the first time they noticed this video.

Regarding the LFS stuff, posting this video regarding the quality
of LFS collision physics probably didn't help me win over any
LFS fans (energy charged walls?):

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/lfsbmpr.wmv

Old August 20th 05, 02:13 PM
Jeff Reid

> > Extreme cases, like mine:

> Thats it? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING? All this angst, all this
> indignation over a yellow warning icon?

It started as a yellow warning icon (which I still feel is wrong),
but the moderators escalated this by making demands that I agree
to never post a link to another video again, even if it was a
video that I had made myself. Then Mbrio responds to my comparing
the of the warning icons to defamation of character (I was
referencing their stated rule 4.1), and demands that I mail
a hand written letter that I agree to allow the warning icons
within 24 hours or be banned.

That is what I would call extreme.

In the words of Rambo, "they drew first blood".

Please note that I didn't start this thread. The orignal complaint
is that the moderators are deleteing or closing threads, and
issuing more warnings than they used to. I was just pointing out
my specific case as an example of things getting carried away.

Old August 20th 05, 02:22 PM
whooo

Jeff Reid wrote:
>>>I don't think it came from an actual F1 event. It's a on-board video of David
>>>Coulthard doing a solo run of a single lap at Spa, probably a demonstration for

>>>http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/spaf1.wmv

>>That's Brundle doing the commentary. It must have been a morning practice session. As if Bernie E was ever going to
>>sue RSC for link to a video clip. Some people are so stupid. I suspect some mods just love to use their powers!

> Yeah, now I remember that the announcer was Martin Brundle. Also, if I
> remember correctly, the video was from a broadcast (or rebroadcast) from ITV.
>
> I think my posts about Live For Speed weren't sitting well with the mods
> at RSC, and I was getting a bit of extra attention. I complained about the
> physics in S1 making cars like the LX6 unstable (this wasn't popular
> with the die-hard Live For Slow fans). When S2 alpha was released, I
> was asking for two things. Slicks for all cars (there's a mod for this
> now, only 15kb in size, just do a web search), and faster shifters for
> the race cars. I posted a link to two videos, one of a BMW 320 E36 race
> car in action with a very fast sequential shifter. Turn down the speakers
> on this first video, the rear end is really loud (high pitch squeal
> at high speeds). It's a cool video because there are 4 classes of cars
> running, and this very fast car is starting from the back of the pack
> because of a qualifying issue:
>
> Click on the Rolf Van Os in een BMW ... E36 link he
> http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/videos.asp
>
> and I posted a link to that DC (David Coulthard) video, as an example
> of a fast autoshifter. I had posted the link to that DC video
> several times before at RSC, without any issue. I think that my LFS
> suggestions were the real reason I was getting so much attention
> from the moderators, but it could have just been coincidence that
> this was the first time they noticed this video.
>
> Regarding the LFS stuff, posting this video regarding the quality
> of LFS collision physics probably didn't help me win over any
> LFS fans (energy charged walls?):
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/lfsbmpr.wmv

Well, telling some fanboys that their game isn't realistic is one thing,
but to post a link to a vid proving it! You only had yourself to blame.

In that Rolf Van Os vid, I think his car has an Xtrack box. Very fast
sequential shifter those things. Did the cars in LFS have Xtrack boxes?
Old August 20th 05, 03:07 PM
Jeff Reid

> In that Rolf Van Os vid, I think his car has an Xtrack box. Very fast sequential shifter those things. Did the cars in
> LFS have Xtrack boxes?

No, all cars shift at the same rate. The first verion of LFS was mostly
low powered street cars, no slicks, the fastest being a Lotus 7 replica
(I own such a car, a Caterham SV). Later they added a MRT5, a very
light racing car but restricted to 65hp (this is a real and licensed
car in LFS), but it had slicks, and a mod was created to allow
slicks on the other cars. The standard tire model in S1 was unstable,
but the slicks were better, so it the slick mod was a definate
improvment to the game.

LFS is supposed to be the king of racing sims (at least according to
it's fans), but is lacking in some areas. For the most part, LFS
version 1 (S1) was Live for Slow.

The release of S2 (version 2) includes true racing type cars, some
similar to the E36, and a 3 liter Forumula V8 car, "FO8" (similar to the
now gone Formula 3000 class, except the LFS versions supposedly have
tunnel effects on the underside of the bodies which isn't allowed on
the Formula cars (They get skidboards instead)). With the "FO8"
the game finally has some real speed to it, but the slow shift
rate of the car (and possibly the powerband of the engine), results
in a situation where it's faster to setup a car to only use
3 or 4 gears on a track, instead of all 6.

This was my complaint or suggestion for improvement to S2. That the
all out racing cars should have very fast shifters. I want to use
all 6 gears on a car (or 7 in the case of the Ferrari in F1C 99-02).

I guess I'm a shift fan, here's a video of a lap at Spa with
F1C99-02 RH2004 season mod (very fast manual shifting being used here):

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/f1cspa.wmv

My other suggestion was to allow slicks on all cars in S2, but it
doesn't matter as a mod to do this was quickly created after
the release of S2 alpha.