2K GT engine problem (with video)

Old July 29th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark G7#9

Default 2K GT engine problem (with video)

If any of you gents have a minute, can you look at the below vid
please :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdbbLLgud6Q

Car was fine on the ride home, but right before pulling into the
garage, something happened (it started shaking, making a tractor sound
and stalled).

All fluids are ok. Belts look fine. Can't see any leaks. No Service
Engine indication.
Car has 105K and the only thing ever changed was the clutch.

The car starts ok but makes a horrible noise, shakes a bit and stalls
after 45 seconds (see vid).

Thanks
Mark
Old July 29th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_9_]

Mark G7#9 wrote:
> If any of you gents have a minute, can you look at the below vid
> please :
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdbbLLgud6Q
>
> Car was fine on the ride home, but right before pulling into the
> garage, something happened (it started shaking, making a tractor sound
> and stalled).
>
> All fluids are ok. Belts look fine. Can't see any leaks. No Service
> Engine indication.
> Car has 105K and the only thing ever changed was the clutch.
>
> The car starts ok but makes a horrible noise, shakes a bit and stalls
> after 45 seconds (see vid).
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Sounds like you popped a spark plug. Pull the coils off, see if one is
not loose.
Old July 29th 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-07-29, GILL > wrote:
> Mark G7#9 wrote:
>> If any of you gents have a minute, can you look at the below vid
>> please :
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdbbLLgud6Q
>>
>> Car was fine on the ride home, but right before pulling into the
>> garage, something happened (it started shaking, making a tractor sound
>> and stalled).
>>
>> All fluids are ok. Belts look fine. Can't see any leaks. No Service
>> Engine indication.
>> Car has 105K and the only thing ever changed was the clutch.
>>
>> The car starts ok but makes a horrible noise, shakes a bit and stalls
>> after 45 seconds (see vid).
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mark

> Sounds like you popped a spark plug. Pull the coils off, see if one is
> not loose.

I was going to say the same thing without even listening... sure enough
that's exactly what it sounds like. That a plug has ejected itself.

There are a number of kits on the market specifically for the 4.6 to
restore the thread with the head on the car. I used the helicoil one on
a '99 GT. No drilling required with that kit (the tap is designed to
remove the minimum amount of material). Just went slow and easy
with lubricant on the tap, taking it out frequently to clean off chips
so they didn't fall inside the cylinder. Once tapped a vacuum cleaner
with a small hose attached to it (homemade attachment) did a good job of
sucking out the few chips that did fall in. Turning over the engine
with the coils upluged was another step to eject anything that may have
been left out the open spark plug hole.

The downside is that the kit is $200. But the tool and the tap is
specially designed to get down the deep spark plug wells.

Those with superchargers and such might want to consider one of the kits
with more robust inserts. But those require drilling the hole larger,
which means more chips, etc and so on.

Old July 29th 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark G7#9

On Jul 28, 9:42*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2009-07-29, GILL > wrote:
>

> > Mark G7#9 wrote:
> >> If any of you gents have a minute, can you look at the below vid
> >> please :

> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdbbLLgud6Q

> >> Car was fine on the ride home, but right before pulling into the
> >> garage, something happened (it started shaking, making a tractor sound
> >> and stalled).

> >> All fluids are ok. Belts look fine. Can't see any leaks. No Service
> >> Engine indication.
> >> Car has 105K and the only thing ever changed was the clutch.

> >> The car starts ok but makes a horrible noise, shakes a bit and stalls
> >> after 45 seconds (see vid).

> >> Thanks
> >> Mark

> > Sounds like you popped a spark plug. Pull the coils off, see if one is
> > not loose.

> I was going to say the same thing without even listening... sure enough
> that's exactly what it sounds like. That a plug has ejected itself.
>
> There are a number of kits on the market specifically for the 4.6 to
> restore the thread with the head on the car. I used the helicoil one on
> a '99 GT. No drilling required with that kit (the tap is designed to
> remove the minimum amount of material). Just went slow and easy
> with lubricant on the tap, taking it out frequently to clean off chips
> so they didn't fall inside the cylinder. Once tapped a vacuum cleaner
> with a small hose attached to it (homemade attachment) did a good job of
> sucking out the few chips that did fall in. Turning over the engine
> with the coils upluged was another step to eject anything that may have
> been left out the open spark plug hole.
>
> The downside is that the kit is $200. But the tool and the tap is
> specially designed to get down the deep spark plug wells.
>
> Those with superchargers and such might want to consider one of the kits
> with more robust inserts. But those require drilling the hole larger,
> which means more chips, etc and so on.- Hide quoted text -

If so, why is there no ODB code set. I would imagine a misfire would
be detected by the computer.

Old July 29th 09, 06:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-07-29, Mark G7#9 > wrote:
> On Jul 28, 9:42*pm, Brent > wrote:

>> > Sounds like you popped a spark plug. Pull the coils off, see if one is
>> > not loose.

>> I was going to say the same thing without even listening... sure enough
>> that's exactly what it sounds like. That a plug has ejected itself.
>>
>> There are a number of kits on the market specifically for the 4.6 to
>> restore the thread with the head on the car. I used the helicoil one on
>> a '99 GT. No drilling required with that kit (the tap is designed to
>> remove the minimum amount of material). Just went slow and easy
>> with lubricant on the tap, taking it out frequently to clean off chips
>> so they didn't fall inside the cylinder. Once tapped a vacuum cleaner
>> with a small hose attached to it (homemade attachment) did a good job of
>> sucking out the few chips that did fall in. Turning over the engine
>> with the coils upluged was another step to eject anything that may have
>> been left out the open spark plug hole.
>>
>> The downside is that the kit is $200. But the tool and the tap is
>> specially designed to get down the deep spark plug wells.
>>
>> Those with superchargers and such might want to consider one of the kits
>> with more robust inserts. But those require drilling the hole larger,
>> which means more chips, etc and so on.- Hide quoted text -

> If so, why is there no ODB code set. I would imagine a misfire would
> be detected by the computer.

It takes awhile for the code to show up. On that '99 it didn't show up
right away. When a coolant was shorting one of the plugs on my '97 it
took miles of driving and purposely accelerating hard enough to make it
happen before the MIL came on.

Old July 29th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark G7#9

On Jul 29, 1:22*am, Brent > wrote:
> On 2009-07-29, Mark G7#9 > wrote:

> >> I was going to say the same thing without even listening... sure enough
> >> that's exactly what it sounds like. That a plug has ejected itself.

> >> There are a number of kits on the market specifically for the 4.6 to
> >> restore the thread with the head on the car. I used the helicoil one on
> >> a '99 GT. No drilling required with that kit (the tap is designed to
> >> remove the minimum amount of material). Just went slow and easy
> >> with lubricant on the tap, taking it out frequently to clean off chips
> >> so they didn't fall inside the cylinder. Once tapped a vacuum cleaner
> >> with a small hose attached to it (homemade attachment) did a good job of
> >> sucking out the few chips that did fall in. Turning over the engine
> >> with the coils upluged was another step to eject anything that may have
> >> been left out the open spark plug hole.

> >> The downside is that the kit is $200. But the tool and the tap is
> >> specially designed to get down the deep spark plug wells.

> >> Those with superchargers and such might want to consider one of the kits
> >> with more robust inserts. But those require drilling the hole larger,
> >> which means more chips, etc and so on.- Hide quoted text -

> > If so, why is there no ODB code set. I would imagine a misfire would
> > be detected by the computer.

> It takes awhile for the code to show up. On that '99 it didn't show up
> right away. When a coolant was shorting one of the plugs on my '97 it
> took miles of driving and purposely accelerating hard enough to make it
> happen before the MIL came on.- Hide quoted text -

I've Googled this issue and some say that rethreading is only
temporary. Called the local Ford dealer and he also said that usually
they replace the head (a couple of grand he told me).

Is replacing the head something I can do in the garage? How much will
it cost for 2K GT?
I don't want to junk it just yet since I just had a new clutch kit put
in and new tires as well :-(

Thanks
Mark
Old July 29th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_9_]

Mark G7#9 wrote:

> I've Googled this issue and some say that rethreading is only
> temporary. Called the local Ford dealer and he also said that usually
> they replace the head (a couple of grand he told me).
>
> Is replacing the head something I can do in the garage? How much will
> it cost for 2K GT?
> I don't want to junk it just yet since I just had a new clutch kit put
> in and new tires as well :-(
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Find a shop and have them put the Heli-coil or time-sert in it. Be done
with it!
Old July 29th 09, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-07-29, Mark G7#9 > wrote:
> On Jul 29, 1:22*am, Brent > wrote:

>> > If so, why is there no ODB code set. I would imagine a misfire would
>> > be detected by the computer.

>> It takes awhile for the code to show up. On that '99 it didn't show up
>> right away. When a coolant was shorting one of the plugs on my '97 it
>> took miles of driving and purposely accelerating hard enough to make it
>> happen before the MIL came on.- Hide quoted text -

> I've Googled this issue and some say that rethreading is only
> temporary. Called the local Ford dealer and he also said that usually
> they replace the head (a couple of grand he told me).
>
> Is replacing the head something I can do in the garage? How much will
> it cost for 2K GT?
> I don't want to junk it just yet since I just had a new clutch kit put
> in and new tires as well :-(

I put a regular sparkplug helicoil in an '89 MX-6 GT (that's a turbo
charged car), and was fine for the rest of the car's life.

Old July 29th 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

Old July 30th 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark G7#9

On Jul 29, 5:10*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2009-07-29, Mark G7#9 > wrote:

> >> It takes awhile for the code to show up. On that '99 it didn't show up
> >> right away. When a coolant was shorting one of the plugs on my '97 it
> >> took miles of driving and purposely accelerating hard enough to make it
> >> happen before the MIL came on.- Hide quoted text -

> > I've Googled this issue and some say that rethreading is only
> > temporary. Called the local Ford dealer and he also said that usually
> > they replace the head (a couple of grand he told me).

> > Is replacing the head something I can do in the garage? How much will
> > it cost for 2K GT?
> > I don't want to junk it just yet since I just had a new clutch kit put
> > in and new tires as well :-(

> I put a regular sparkplug helicoil in an '89 MX-6 GT (that's a turbo
> charged car), and was fine for the rest of the car's life.- Hide quoted text -

You guys were right. The plug closest to the passenger is out. The
coil boot is shredded but the coil itself looks ok.
How can I tell if the threads are damaged or is it a given? (It's hard
to see into that far hole.) Should I just try to install a new plug
and see if it's tight. I did find a local guy that said he'll put a
new helicoil for around $200 plus I'll need about $100 for tow.