Is the six speed manual tranny better than the five speed on gasmiles?

Old March 28th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Xegunda

Default Is the six speed manual tranny better than the five speed on gasmiles?

Is the six speed manual tranny better than the five speed on gas
miles? Just wondering?
Old March 28th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article
Xegunda > wrote:

> Is the six speed manual tranny better than the five speed on gas
> miles? Just wondering?

On an NB, no. The 6-speed has a shorter overall final drive ratio, so
the engine turns slightly more rpm at the same speed in top gear.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old March 29th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Default Is the six speed manual tranny better than the five speed onga...

Lanny, I don't think that is true. The 6th gear on my 2003 LS is an over
drive at something over .??? to 1 and the rear end is taller too. The
later NB's will give you a little better MPG than a regular 6 speed.

I will see if I can find the chart and get the correct numbers.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old March 29th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Ok, I found the chart for 5 speed and 6 speed ratios.

The 5 speed in " 4th" is 1:1
The 5 speed in " 5th" is .814:1

The 6 speed in " 5th" is 1:1 (all 99 and later)
The 6 speed in " 6th" is .843:1
The 6 speed rear end ratio is 3.90, with an option in Ozze Land of 3.636
:1

4th gear in the 5speed is the same as 5th grar in the 6 th speed, -----
1:1

So, the 6 speed is just a little taller than the 5 speed in final gear.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old March 29th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Geary Morton

In article >,
Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article >,
> (BRUCE HASKIN) wrote:
>
> > The 5 speed in " 4th" is 1:1
> > The 5 speed in " 5th" is .814:1
> >
> > The 6 speed in " 5th" is 1:1 (all 99 and later)
> > The 6 speed in " 6th" is .843:1
> > The 6 speed rear end ratio is 3.90, with an option in Ozze Land of 3.636
> > :1
> >
> > 4th gear in the 5speed is the same as 5th grar in the 6 th speed, -----
> > 1:1
> >
> > So, the 6 speed is just a little taller than the 5 speed in final gear.

> True, if you're comparing different cars that came so equipped. I was
> assuming the OP was thinking about swapping his OEM 5-speed for a
> 6-speed, keeping his 4.1 or 4.3 differential.

Uh, if we're talking just the tranny, isn't .814/1 'taller' than .843/1,
or am I missing something here? Seems like the 5-speed tranny is taller
in top gear. The difference is probably no more than what you would
realize from simply running slightly larger tires, though. I'm thinking
the only practical way to gear up is to change the rear end - cheaper,
easier (maybe).

Here's another question: Is the clutch, pressure plate & throw-out
bearing life ~20% less on the 6-speed? I'm sure it makes talking on
your cellphone in traffic ~20% harder. :-0

Geary
Old March 29th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Bruder

In article >,
Geary Morton > wrote:

> In article >,
> Lanny Chambers > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > (BRUCE HASKIN) wrote:
> >
> > > The 5 speed in " 4th" is 1:1
> > > The 5 speed in " 5th" is .814:1
> > >
> > > The 6 speed in " 5th" is 1:1 (all 99 and later)
> > > The 6 speed in " 6th" is .843:1
> > > The 6 speed rear end ratio is 3.90, with an option in Ozze Land of 3.636
> > > :1
> > >
> > > 4th gear in the 5speed is the same as 5th grar in the 6 th speed, -----
> > > 1:1
> > >
> > > So, the 6 speed is just a little taller than the 5 speed in final gear.

> > True, if you're comparing different cars that came so equipped. I was
> > assuming the OP was thinking about swapping his OEM 5-speed for a
> > 6-speed, keeping his 4.1 or 4.3 differential.

> Uh, if we're talking just the tranny, isn't .814/1 'taller' than .843/1,
> or am I missing something here? Seems like the 5-speed tranny is taller
> in top gear. The difference is probably no more than what you would
> realize from simply running slightly larger tires, though. I'm thinking
> the only practical way to gear up is to change the rear end - cheaper,
> easier (maybe).
>
> Here's another question: Is the clutch, pressure plate & throw-out
> bearing life ~20% less on the 6-speed? I'm sure it makes talking on
> your cellphone in traffic ~20% harder. :-0
>
> Geary

If *ANYTHING* can be done to make using a cellphone harder, I'm all for
it... Your (generic you) phone call isn't worth my life - I don't give a
damn who you are, or who you're calling/who's calling you *NO* phone
call you could possibly be involved with, to or from anybody, is worth
my life. So hang up and drive, dammit!

Yes... Despite falling squarely into the "radical libertarian" range on
most of the various "what's you political view?" tests, I'd be all for
the concept of it being mandatory that every cell phone be GPS-capable,
and that they be programmed to continuously check their speed. If
they're moving faster than walking speed, they should automatically
direct all incoming calls to voice-mail and behave as if they are
powered down until such time as they aren't moving faster than a walking
speed.

--
Don Bruder -
- If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
Old March 29th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Yes Lanny, he wouldn't change much by just going to a 6 speed. I think
5 speeds are more fun for the average driver anyhow.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old March 29th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

The difference is, Mazda had an opportunity to do it right with the 6 speed
and just blew it. The car should have a tall cruising top gear which would
allow the engine to relax (loaf) a bit and get measurably better gas mileage
(at least in the real world). In my opinion they totally blew it but then
again I'm the guy who keeps harping that they blew it with the 5 spd for the
same reason.

Oh ya, I forgot "people might have to occasionally downshift on inclines"
heaven knows Miata folks hate to shift and that would be a disaster!
(dripping sarcasm!) I stand corrected.

Chris
99BBB

> IMHO, the 6-speed was only offered to keep up with a fad. Just like 18"
> wheels on the NC, where lighter 16-inchers fit over the brakes just
> fine. Yet another triumph of fashion over function...or marketing over
> engineering.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

4-speed tranny leaking neildomo Ford Mustang 2 March 12th 07 04:29 AM
5or6 speed tranny R G 4x4 0 January 30th 06 05:14 PM
___ Slipping guts out of a '91 3-speed tranny :-) 'Curly Q. Links' Chrysler 0 December 4th 05 06:11 AM
1987 honda civic 4 dr sedan manual 5 speed tranny kerikweenb28 Honda 0 November 13th 05 09:07 PM
5-speed tranny whine-'03 TJ 4.0L Ken Knapp Jeep 7 February 6th 05 03:26 PM