New 1976 Owner with Limited Skills

Old November 28th 07, 01:11 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Just another guy

Default New 1976 Owner with Limited Skills

If the temperature gauge is reading low, you may need a new thermostat.
Replace it. Costs less than $20. You need the engine to be at working
temperature before you'll get any heat.

Old November 28th 07, 03:01 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Elbert

Well it may be as simple as manual heater control valve that's in line
on the heater hoses. You turn it off in the summer and on in the
winter. Whomever designed the nice heater setup on the 70's GM
products needs to go back to school, I'm sure that person is most
likely not around any more. My 78 Z28 pumped hot air into the car in
the summer when the A/c was not on. I finally got tired of that and
installed the above referenced manual heater control valve. I don't
believe that the camaros or corvettes had a vaccum or other type
heater control valve on the heater hoses during the late 70's.

(1) check to see that the heater hoses are connected to the firewall,
there are two.

(2) check coolant level to make sure car is full.

(3) let engine run and get to operating temperature (what is that
temp?)

(4) check to see if both heater hoses at the fire wall are hot...after
engine runs a while.

(5) check to see if previous owner installed a manual heater control
valve or "by-passed" the heater core.

(6) if all good above....then look for issues with the A/C -heater
control head, broken cables, broken temp door, etc. I'm not sure on
that model but it may have vaccum operated heater and A/C temp door
controls, or it may be the old school pure manual setup.

You have to "have" hot coolant at the heater core....for heat, that's
the first thing to verify.

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:07:22 -0500, Bob G. <rg327_remove_comcast.net>
wrote:

>VetteGuy:
> Actually I am betting that the heater has been bypassed ...
>Honestly these cars do not get driven in cold weather much anymore and
>can get really "warm" inside in the summer... so many ...if not most..
>owners bypass the heater..
>
>BUT ... I would check out the C3 registry (www.c3vr.com) and take a
>free ride for a month or pay all of 10 bucks for a years membership...
>
>Honestly it is the absolute best source of info(AND FREE ADVICE) on
>68-82 Corvettes ..I own 3 C's and am a LIFETIME menber ONLY because
>everytime I had a problem I GOT ANSWERS...
>
>Enjoy the car.... and BTW...they are very simple to work on... mo high
>teck computers ...only real problem that the very first step to do any
>repair usually is DISMANTLE THE ENTIRE CAR... LOL
>
>Seriousl check out the registry...its full of forums that deal with
>everything from electrical to mechanical problems.. I did not drop the
>money to become a lifetime menber just for the fun of it...I got so
>much help with my first C3 that I saved lots of Time BUT also lots of
>money...
>
>Bob G.
>64 72 & 98 Convertibles
>76 & 79 Coupes...
>
>============================
>
>On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 06:30:45 -0800 (PST), 1976VetteGuy
> wrote:
>
>>On Nov 26, 10:15 pm, Just another guy > wrote:
>>> What's the temperature gauge read?

>>> --
>>>

>>The temperature guage reads pretty low. It barely creeps up, but I
>>don't even know if it works or not...
>>
>>This group rocks!
>>
>>Thanks to everyone so far...good stuff!

-----------
Elbert

Old December 5th 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
1976VetteGuy

On Nov 26, 3:23 pm, "'Key" > wrote:
> --
> 'Key
> =====
>
> "1976VetteGuy" > wrote in message

> > The temp slider does move, but I don't know if it's doing
> > anything.
> > Is there an easy way for me to tell if it's actually
> > moving the proper
> > door?

> you should be able to hear it working the door. if the cable
> is broken you should feel nearly no tension
> on the slider and hear nothing.
>
> > As far as the heater core being bypassed...I have no idea
> > and don't
> > really even know what that means, so any enlightenment
> > would be
> > helpfull!!!!

> > Thanks

> sometimes when a heater core goes bad (leaks) folks will
> bypass the heater core.
> you can look under your hood and see the heater hoses.
> the heater core is located on the passenger side if your
> car.
> follow your heater hoses, from you water pump, and see if
> they go directly in and out of the fire wall where the
> heater core is located.
> if the heater core was bypassed? you should see the bypass.
>
> g'luck
> --
> 'Key

Thanks...I don't think it was bypassed, but not sure. I actually
don't even know where the heater core is located...I assume it's
behind the firewall??? So if you have the time, can you get more
detailed and tell me how to check this as I have replaced the
thermostat and made sure it has enough coolant. I'm pretty sure it
either a hose or heater core problem of some sort. I wouldn't know
what the bypass would look like. I can't even find the damn water
pump. I bout a new one, but my future father-in-law says that I would
know if it was bad as it would be noisy and the car would overheat.
So I need to find that so I can follow the hoses to the heater core?
The guy at Autozone said that I should try to clean/flush out the
cooling system...to try to clean out any gunk or rust that may be in
there???? I bought a kit and a solvent to flush it with, but don't
want to go throughg the trouble if I don't have to....???? It would
be a cheap fix if it worked...

Is the heater core hard to get to???

Thanks for your help...
Old December 6th 07, 12:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Eagle

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:04:38 UTC, 1976VetteGuy > wrote:

> Is the heater core hard to get to???

The other possible solutions are much easier to try. I've done the
heater coil, A/C, and pretty much everything else on my 1982. The
heater coil fits through the firewall. The first step in the
repair manual is to remove the seats, dash, and everything over
the interior part of the heater coil. The second step involves
removing the parts in the way under the hood. A good mechanic
will charge about $500-700 for the day it will take to replace it.
Start by finding a repair manual for your 1976.

David
Old December 6th 07, 01:19 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
1976VetteGuy

On Dec 5, 6:13 pm, "Eagle" > wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:04:38 UTC, 1976VetteGuy > wrote:
> > Is the heater core hard to get to???

> The other possible solutions are much easier to try. I've done the
> heater coil, A/C, and pretty much everything else on my 1982. The
> heater coil fits through the firewall. The first step in the
> repair manual is to remove the seats, dash, and everything over
> the interior part of the heater coil. The second step involves
> removing the parts in the way under the hood. A good mechanic
> will charge about $500-700 for the day it will take to replace it.
> Start by finding a repair manual for your 1976.
>
> David

I bought the C3 (it says like 1966-1976 Shop Manual in red on the
cover) Shop Manual, but am very disappointed in the content. What are
the best shop manuals out there?
Old December 6th 07, 01:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Eagle

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 01:19:24 UTC, 1976VetteGuy > wrote:

> I bought the C3 (it says like 1966-1976 Shop Manual in red on the
> cover) Shop Manual, but am very disappointed in the content. What are
> the best shop manuals out there?

I have both the 1982 Shop Manual and Chilton's. They do leave much
to be desired. My mechanic subscribes to the Mitchell Repair Manuals
as well as many others. Perhaps Mitchell has a limited distribution
you could buy. I'd suggest finding a local mechanic (Master Auto
Technician) and asking him/her. They will likely help describe
the process or let you look at manuals. My mechanic would let you
do it yourself, off hours, with his tools for a pittance.

David
Old December 6th 07, 02:46 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
charlie

"Eagle" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 01:19:24 UTC, 1976VetteGuy > wrote:
>
>> I bought the C3 (it says like 1966-1976 Shop Manual in red on the
>> cover) Shop Manual, but am very disappointed in the content. What are
>> the best shop manuals out there?

> I have both the 1982 Shop Manual and Chilton's. They do leave much
> to be desired. My mechanic subscribes to the Mitchell Repair Manuals
> as well as many others. Perhaps Mitchell has a limited distribution
> you could buy. I'd suggest finding a local mechanic (Master Auto
> Technician) and asking him/her. They will likely help describe
> the process or let you look at manuals. My mechanic would let you
> do it yourself, off hours, with his tools for a pittance.
>
> David

my local library subscribes to the mitchell database. one can use it for
free at the library.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Old December 7th 07, 12:58 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Elbert

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 17:19:24 -0800 (PST), 1976VetteGuy
> wrote:

>On Dec 5, 6:13 pm, "Eagle" > wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:04:38 UTC, 1976VetteGuy > wrote:
>> > Is the heater core hard to get to???

>> The other possible solutions are much easier to try. I've done the
>> heater coil, A/C, and pretty much everything else on my 1982. The
>> heater coil fits through the firewall. The first step in the
>> repair manual is to remove the seats, dash, and everything over
>> the interior part of the heater coil. The second step involves
>> removing the parts in the way under the hood. A good mechanic
>> will charge about $500-700 for the day it will take to replace it.
>> Start by finding a repair manual for your 1976.
>>
>> David

>I bought the C3 (it says like 1966-1976 Shop Manual in red on the
>cover) Shop Manual, but am very disappointed in the content. What are
>the best shop manuals out there?

The GM shop manual is the only manual I've ever found that worth
buying. The others skip to much material or leave key steps and areas
"unexplained"..
-----------
Elbert

Old December 7th 07, 01:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
1976VetteGuy

On Dec 6, 6:58 pm, Elbert > wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 17:19:24 -0800 (PST), 1976VetteGuy
>

> > wrote:

> >> The other possible solutions are much easier to try. I've done the
> >> heater coil, A/C, and pretty much everything else on my 1982. The
> >> heater coil fits through the firewall. The first step in the
> >> repair manual is to remove the seats, dash, and everything over
> >> the interior part of the heater coil. The second step involves
> >> removing the parts in the way under the hood. A good mechanic
> >> will charge about $500-700 for the day it will take to replace it.
> >> Start by finding a repair manual for your 1976.

> >> David

> >I bought the C3 (it says like 1966-1976 Shop Manual in red on the
> >cover) Shop Manual, but am very disappointed in the content. What are
> >the best shop manuals out there?

> The GM shop manual is the only manual I've ever found that worth
> buying. The others skip to much material or leave key steps and areas
> "unexplained"..
> -----------
> Elbert

Where can I get the GM shop manual?
Old December 7th 07, 04:20 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Elbert

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:26:06 -0800 (PST), 1976VetteGuy
> wrote:

>On Dec 6, 6:58 pm, Elbert > wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 17:19:24 -0800 (PST), 1976VetteGuy
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >I bought the C3 (it says like 1966-1976 Shop Manual in red on the
>> >cover) Shop Manual, but am very disappointed in the content. What are
>> >the best shop manuals out there?

>> The GM shop manual is the only manual I've ever found that worth
>> buying. The others skip to much material or leave key steps and areas
>> "unexplained"..
>> -----------
>> Elbert

>Where can I get the GM shop manual?

http://www.helminc.com

They are relatively expensive but it you have a car you plan to keep
and would like to learn about the car or do the work yourself. The GM
shop manuals are the best. A 76 corvette would be for the most part
basic stuff, but everyone has to start somewhere. A GM shop manual
is a good investment. You might hunt around E-Bay too. I would not
waste my money on a CHILTON or Haynes unless that's the only thing
you can get.
Elbert