New 1976 Owner with Limited Skills

Old November 26th 07, 09:36 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
1976VetteGuy

Default New 1976 Owner with Limited Skills

Group - I just bought my first Corvette -1976. I have no experience
with working on cars at all, but am a fast learner. I drove it home
last night and found out that the heat doesn't work. I'm not sure
where to begin to search for the problem. Is this something that I
can fix myself or should I take it to a mechanic?

For diagnostic purposes - the fan blower works and both dials on the
control panel move and air flows both at the top and bottom. I put it
on defrost, heater, and vent and had the same frigid results.

Any help will be appreciated...
Old November 26th 07, 09:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"1976VetteGuy" > wrote in message
> Group - I just bought my first Corvette -1976. I have no
> experience
> with working on cars at all, but am a fast learner. I
> drove it home
> last night and found out that the heat doesn't work. I'm
> not sure
> where to begin to search for the problem. Is this
> something that I
> can fix myself or should I take it to a mechanic?
>
> For diagnostic purposes - the fan blower works and both
> dials on the
> control panel move and air flows both at the top and
> bottom. I put it
> on defrost, heater, and vent and had the same frigid
> results.
>
> Any help will be appreciated...

what about the temp slide bar ? Does it work ?
are you sure that the heater core has NOT been bypassed ?

--
'Key
=====

Old November 26th 07, 10:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
1976VetteGuy

The temp slider does move, but I don't know if it's doing anything.
Is there an easy way for me to tell if it's actually moving the proper
door?

As far as the heater core being bypassed...I have no idea and don't
really even know what that means, so any enlightenment would be
helpfull!!!!

Thanks

Old November 26th 07, 10:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

--
'Key
=====

"1976VetteGuy" > wrote in message
> The temp slider does move, but I don't know if it's doing
> anything.
> Is there an easy way for me to tell if it's actually
> moving the proper
> door?

you should be able to hear it working the door. if the cable
is broken you should feel nearly no tension
on the slider and hear nothing.

> As far as the heater core being bypassed...I have no idea
> and don't
> really even know what that means, so any enlightenment
> would be
> helpfull!!!!
>
> Thanks

sometimes when a heater core goes bad (leaks) folks will
bypass the heater core.
you can look under your hood and see the heater hoses.
the heater core is located on the passenger side if your
car.
follow your heater hoses, from you water pump, and see if
they go directly in and out of the fire wall where the
heater core is located.
if the heater core was bypassed? you should see the bypass.

g'luck
--
'Key

Old November 27th 07, 05:15 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Just another guy

What's the temperature gauge read?

Old November 27th 07, 11:39 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
WayneC

Here's some diagrams that might help you understand what's in your car:
http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/AC-VAC2.PDF

Look at the diagram at the bottom center of the page and note the
unlabeled device at the top of the picture... that's a metal diverter valve
that sits in the engine compartment and has heater hoses connected to it.
The heater hoses are attached to the nipples shown at the top and right
coming out of that valve, the small hose shown as white in the diagram is a
vacuum hose that actuates the diverter valve to send hot water through
to the
heater core under the dash when you turn on the heater, or to bypass the
heater core and send the hot water back to the engine.

note: This particular picture shows a system without a/c, but I believe
that same
valve is present on cars that DO have a/c as well, but they just don't
show it
on the a/c diagram (upper left on the page), they only show the airflow
door actuators.
I don't have a C3, so I can't verify that.

That valve can stick or become disconnected from the vacuum hose, or
there could
be a leak in the vacuum system that prevents sufficient vacuum from
reaching the valve.
It is a common point of failure. The valve is not particularly expensive
to replace.

It could be checked by applying vacuum directly to the valve to see if
the heater
then works (you should be able to feel that the water hose from the
diverter
to the heater is cool before vacuum is applied, then heats up with
vacuum applied).
You may need a vacuum pump to test with, or you can "borrow" vacuum from
another vacuum source on the engine by "Tee"ing into that good vacuum
source.
(Simply sucking on the hose orally is not likely to produce sufficient
vacuum.)

You could also disconnect the two water hoses from the diverter valve
and clamp
them to opposite ends of one short section of copper tubing (5/8" I
believe) to bypass
the valve for the winter, then reattach them to the diverter valve in
the spring.

Good luck.
Old November 27th 07, 11:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
WayneC

Well, I may have lied a bit...after some reflection, I think what I called
the "diverter" valve simply stops water from passing through to the heater,
rather than diverting it back to the engine.

Old November 27th 07, 03:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
1976VetteGuy

On Nov 26, 10:15 pm, Just another guy > wrote:
> What's the temperature gauge read?
>
> 1976VetteGuy wrote:
> > Group - I just bought my first Corvette -1976. I have no experience
> > with working on cars at all, but am a fast learner. I drove it home
> > last night and found out that the heat doesn't work. I'm not sure
> > where to begin to search for the problem. Is this something that I
> > can fix myself or should I take it to a mechanic?

> > For diagnostic purposes - the fan blower works and both dials on the
> > control panel move and air flows both at the top and bottom. I put it
> > on defrost, heater, and vent and had the same frigid results.

> > Any help will be appreciated...

> --

The temperature guage reads pretty low. It barely creeps up, but I
don't even know if it works or not...

This group rocks!

Thanks to everyone so far...good stuff!
Old November 27th 07, 03:36 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
1976VetteGuy

On Nov 27, 4:39 am, WayneC > wrote:
> Here's some diagrams that might help you understand what's in your car:
> http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/AC-VAC2.PDF
>
> Look at the diagram at the bottom center of the page and note the
> unlabeled device at the top of the picture... that's a metal diverter valve
> that sits in the engine compartment and has heater hoses connected to it.
> The heater hoses are attached to the nipples shown at the top and right
> coming out of that valve, the small hose shown as white in the diagram is a
> vacuum hose that actuates the diverter valve to send hot water through
> to the
> heater core under the dash when you turn on the heater, or to bypass the
> heater core and send the hot water back to the engine.
>
> note: This particular picture shows a system without a/c, but I believe
> that same
> valve is present on cars that DO have a/c as well, but they just don't
> show it
> on the a/c diagram (upper left on the page), they only show the airflow
> door actuators.
> I don't have a C3, so I can't verify that.
>
> That valve can stick or become disconnected from the vacuum hose, or
> there could
> be a leak in the vacuum system that prevents sufficient vacuum from
> reaching the valve.
> It is a common point of failure. The valve is not particularly expensive
> to replace.
>
> It could be checked by applying vacuum directly to the valve to see if
> the heater
> then works (you should be able to feel that the water hose from the
> diverter
> to the heater is cool before vacuum is applied, then heats up with
> vacuum applied).
> You may need a vacuum pump to test with, or you can "borrow" vacuum from
> another vacuum source on the engine by "Tee"ing into that good vacuum
> source.
> (Simply sucking on the hose orally is not likely to produce sufficient
> vacuum.)
>
> You could also disconnect the two water hoses from the diverter valve
> and clamp
> them to opposite ends of one short section of copper tubing (5/8" I
> believe) to bypass
> the valve for the winter, then reattach them to the diverter valve in
> the spring.
>
> Good luck.

wow...thanks for the detailed answer. I'll check that out tonight
when I get home...
Old November 27th 07, 08:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_2_]

VetteGuy:
Actually I am betting that the heater has been bypassed ...
Honestly these cars do not get driven in cold weather much anymore and
can get really "warm" inside in the summer... so many ...if not most..
owners bypass the heater..

BUT ... I would check out the C3 registry (www.c3vr.com) and take a
free ride for a month or pay all of 10 bucks for a years membership...

Honestly it is the absolute best source of info(AND FREE ADVICE) on
68-82 Corvettes ..I own 3 C's and am a LIFETIME menber ONLY because
everytime I had a problem I GOT ANSWERS...

Enjoy the car.... and BTW...they are very simple to work on... mo high
teck computers ...only real problem that the very first step to do any
repair usually is DISMANTLE THE ENTIRE CAR... LOL

Seriousl check out the registry...its full of forums that deal with
everything from electrical to mechanical problems.. I did not drop the
money to become a lifetime menber just for the fun of it...I got so
much help with my first C3 that I saved lots of Time BUT also lots of
money...

Bob G.
64 72 & 98 Convertibles
76 & 79 Coupes...

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 06:30:45 -0800 (PST), 1976VetteGuy