Sim "world championship" musing

Old November 25th 04, 06:13 PM
mcewena

Default Sim "world championship" musing

There was an article in Racer magazine recently talking about the
"glory days" when the top drivers such as Mario, Jimmy Clark, AJ
etc. used to routinely run in a variety of series throughout the
year(F1, F2, sports cars, Nascar, short tracks etc..), they went on to
hypothesize about what current races would make up such a (highly
theoretical) "world championship" today. I can't remember the
exact list but I think it was Monaco F1, Indy 500, Daytona 500, Monaco
WRC, Lemans, Eldora sprints, maybe Pikes Peak, and I think there was
Champ car race (Long Beach?) in the list as well.

I started thinking about how that would work in sim racing, if you
start by assuming full length events (2hr GPs, 500 mile Ovals etc.),
full damage and a comon point structure the "season" would take a
year to run and might be something like:

1) 2 GPL events at venues like Monaco & Nurburgring

2) 2 rounds using NR2003 maybe Daytona (premiere series venue) and
Martinsville (classic short track).

3) 2 modern F1 rounds (say Spa and Suzuka) using F1C? I plead
ignorance into the current state of modern F1 online titles.

4) 2 Rally rounds, again I plead ignorance as to the sim to use (CM4?),
"online Rallying" is sort of an oxymoron but assume there's a
title out there were others can be reasonably assured your reported
time was cheat free? Venues: Monaco? Pikes Peak? RAC? Africa? Pick
any 2.

5) Lemans 24hrs using the PWF or TPTCC mods to NR. dEEL proved it can
be done, obviously you'd have to be 1 member of a team to
participate.

Of course this list still leaves out significant real life events like
Bathurst, Indy 500, Macao F3 and certain types of racing altogether
like Sprint cars, dragsters and even MotoGP. But you get the idea.

Now if some bright spark were to organize that and get some racing
school to put up one of their advanced courses as a prize it could be
something to watch...
If so, send my royalty check to....

Art.

Old November 26th 04, 07:54 PM
Malc

"mcewena" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Now if some bright spark were to organize that

And here you answered your own question ;-)

All it takes is someone to organise it, you don't need prizes or sponsorship
(nice to have but not essential). Why don't you have a go & set it up?

Malc.

Old November 26th 04, 08:35 PM
mcewena

>All it takes is someone to organise it, you don't need prizes or
sponsorship
>(nice to have but not essential). Why don't you have a go & set it up?

I'm more of an idea man

I think if it were to be any more then "just another league" it needs a
sense of commitment to the organization to properly advertise/recruit
and run it objectively. In order to be legitimately crowned "world"
champ, I think you'd need to recruit a few hundred drivers to compete
and not a few dozen. Some tangible goal (prizes) would help.

Plus it would be worth knowing if somebody who could accell at all
these sim disciplines could do so in a real car... (teams are always
looking for drivers).

Old November 26th 04, 09:02 PM
mcewena

>teams are always looking for drivers

Sorry, meant to say teams are always looking for the next magic
Sennalike talent...

Old November 27th 04, 07:17 PM
EldredP

In article .com>, "mcewena"
> writes:

>I started thinking about how that would work in sim racing, if you
>start by assuming full length events (2hr GPs, 500 mile Ovals etc.),
>full damage and a comon point structure the "season" would take a
>year to run and might be something like:

This league doesn't do full length of every event, but it's similar to your
'multi-discipline' suggestion:

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/iicc/index.html

We've done full races in the past, as well as a 44 lap race at the Ring...

Eldred
--
http://www.umich.edu/~epickett

GPLRank -6.0 MoGPL rank +267.80
Ch.Rank +52.58
Hist. +82.34
N2k3 rank: -1.182
Slayer Spektera lvl 79 assassin
Slayer Spectral_K lvl 44 Necro
US East

largest Audi centre in the world just opened in scotland u.k news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 1 November 2nd 04 11:20 AM
another world out there? himes BMW 6 October 30th 04 10:34 PM
Dodge Magnum RT 2005 Real World Mileage GRL Dodge 2 September 24th 04 09:06 AM
FS: 1991 "Classic Cars" (Of The World) Cards with Box J.R. Sinclair General 0 May 27th 04 07:31 AM
FS: 1992 All-World "1992 Indy-Car World Series" PROMO Sheet J.R. Sinclair General 0 March 21st 04 07:23 AM