first dead battery, now no radio. code ? what code ?

Old January 4th 05, 07:24 PM
Scott

Default first dead battery, now no radio. code ? what code ?

hey, A guy I work with had a dead battery, now thats it's charged his radio
won't work.

He needs a code to put into the radio to get it to work.

any idea how the hell to do it without sending it to audi repair shop @ $105
an hour ?

Old January 4th 05, 07:47 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"Scott" > wrote:

> hey, A guy I work with had a dead battery, now thats it's charged his
> radio won't work.
>
> He needs a code to put into the radio to get it to work.
>
> any idea how the hell to do it without sending it to audi repair shop
> @ $105 an hour ?

Yep - you refer to the User Manual for the radio and follow the
instructions to enter the 4-digit number which came on a little tear-off
card attached to the manual.

Old January 4th 05, 08:38 PM
Scott

thanx, but it's missin...

dummy buyin a used audi..whats he thinkin ?

is it perhaps marked anywhere inside the auto perhaps ?

what does an auto repair shop do when they unhook the battery ?

Old January 4th 05, 08:53 PM
curmudgeon

They wire a 9volt battery do-hickey into the cigarette lighter.

Old January 4th 05, 08:56 PM
Scott

ok...I'll bite.......

What the hell you talkin about ?

Old January 4th 05, 09:14 PM
Steve Sears

Scott,
Radio Shack sell them - as does JCWitless and various other supply places.
You can make one fairly easily from a 9 volt lead , a cigarette lighter plug
and a (ok...memory failing on the name electrical device) thingey that keeps
the car battery from trying to charge the 9v cell while it's plugged in
(blocks current from flowing into cell).
Of course, all this doesn't help your friend with the dead radio, does it?
If he takes the car to his local Audi dealer, with the radio serial number
and the car's VIN, they can give him the code for the radio (provided that
it's the original radio in the car). Depending on the year and model of the
radio, you can use the method described in Ti Kan's web site to enter to
code in the radio:
http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/radios.html
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes

news

Old January 4th 05, 10:01 PM
Scott

thanx, but his site says, if you lose the code, take it to a dealer lol

Old January 4th 05, 10:23 PM
Steve Sears

Scott,
I went to my local dealer with a radio from a VW that was sitting "one foot
in the crusher" at the wrecking yard that I frequent (hey, with an
"inventory" like mine, you hafta bee on a first-name-basis with at least a
couple dismantlers). With the radio out, I had the serial # (printed on the
tag) and the VIN of the car which I took down after I removed the radio -
they provided the 4 digit code for free. I just followed Ti's instructions
to get it unlocked. If the car is a new model, where nearly everything is
done via VAG-COM, then you may be able to find a non-dealer in your area
that has the connection and software to help you out. You might check on
the audiworld newsgroups to see how others have unlocked their radios.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old January 5th 05, 05:51 AM
LIW

"Scott" > wrote in message
> hey, A guy I work with had a dead battery, now thats it's charged his

radio
> won't work.
>
> He needs a code to put into the radio to get it to work.
>
> any idea how the hell to do it without sending it to audi repair shop @

$105
> an hour ?

His radio code is either on a card in his pocket that he took out of the
owner's manual, or it's still in the owner's manual, right where the
instructions are for how to input the radio code.

The guy who owned my S8 before me, wrote the code on a cross member in the
trunk so it couldn't be lost. Fairly clever, I thought.

Old January 5th 05, 05:55 AM
LIW

"Scott" > wrote in message
> thanx, but it's missin...
>
> dummy buyin a used audi..whats he thinkin ?
>
> is it perhaps marked anywhere inside the auto perhaps ?
>
> what does an auto repair shop do when they unhook the battery ?

The dealer can get it for him as a courtesy if he brings it in. They can
check the VIN and his ownership papers, and they push some magic buttons in
their computers.

Alfa Romeo 156 alarm won't turn off problem Alfie Norks Alfa Romeo 14 October 23rd 04 04:33 AM
lost radio code mickt Alfa Romeo 4 October 4th 04 08:23 PM
Source for radio code, 1990 V8 Quattro. John Audi 4 August 29th 04 12:50 PM