Rfactor will not run...

Old September 7th 05, 04:46 PM
PlowBoy

RK,

I have both those tools, things seem to be clean, plus: like I said the
YAHOO security suite, {maybe that makes you laugh also, I do as I type it,
as it sounds oxymoronic}

but it seems as robust as symantec's boggy suites I been exposed to, we use
NAVCE at my corporate job. BTW, in the Yahoo stuff, the only let down is
the fact that if you are not logged on as the ADMINISTRATOR in xp with the
Accounts Administrator logon (for dsl and et al accounts therein) you dont
have much of a 'dashboard'. again I am used to trying to figure out what is
wrong on MS operating systems.

At home I admit the time to muck with this has dwindled, to not as much as
time I wanted to ENJOY the games I have or install on there. Last week I
got 1 of the 2 things to go, 1st was Trouble Shooting the GTLegends demo and
gettting it to operate: and installing rFactor, which would NOT run.

FYI, I finally found the obscure link to re-enable it the child web software
and run several utils including the 2 you mention plus hijack this. All of
that that took about 2 hours of my usuall 3 to 4 hours to "play" a week,
plus the lockup and rebooting due to rFactor. So trying to speed up the
trial and error process of elimination and trouble shooting, I enlisted the
help in RAS. Like I said, I dont usually just do stoopid stuff, like whine
at 1st glance, I know that is unusuall around here at times, and I admit I
spaced off the AV sw (see the post about GTLegends I made?). but I am
digging into all of it, more than I wish I had to.

So can you tell me what should be happenging, I launch the game via ICON, I
get small imagespace & sound, black screen with Rfactor showing, that is
all... 1st time it took what seemd like eternity to go from Image space &
sound "splash" screen to the RFactor full screen lockup, subsequently PC is
toast and reboot is inevitable (however I have NOT had the time to see how
long until, MAYBE it continues finally?) Hate to think I would have to call
home at noon to have the little woman launch the game so I can finally play
at say 8m that evening...

thanks for the suggestion, and the chance to clarify and add to my delema.
I am semi sure it is a decently clean system.

Old September 7th 05, 06:06 PM
Larry

There's a difference here...

This is about Copy Protection getting in the way of someone enjoying what
they PAID for.

The other stuff was actual game issues.

-Larry

Old September 7th 05, 07:41 PM
Praxiteles Democritus

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 07:50:09 -0500, "PlowBoy" >
wrote:

>Praxiteles,
>
>There's a start and thanks. hopefully I can try something by this weekend.
>I get my information by reading here and RSC, and I havent read anything
>that is shedding light on this but I posted at midnight my time. Can anyone
>shed light on what are the events that are taking place when I click the
>rfactor icon (when installed)? is it crashing trying to do intro's? is it
>supposed to check in with a website for key validation, updates, or what?
>havent seen anything act like this before on a machine that is game ready
>(hardware wise) but I recall back when some games crashed trying to view
>intro type vids and or sounds..
>
>Thanks

It should just come up with a RFactor splash screen then start. Why
don't you try starting it with your internet connection disabled. Go
to control panel/Network Connections. Right click the LAN icon and
select diabled. You are now disconnected from the inernet. Do the same
to enable your connection later.
Old September 7th 05, 08:16 PM
PlowBoy

Well,

trying to eliminate the lockup, not add to it, youwould think some kind of
pop up would ensue when it cant see what it needs, but alas if it is poping
up, I cannot see it.

I read about 2 things at rsc and here, sent links or FW: to home email to
check out later. thanks

Praxiteles Democritus enlightened us with:

Old September 7th 05, 09:51 PM
ymenard

>"Steve Whitty" > wrote
> "John Smith" > wrote
>>
>> This game has way too many bugs in it to be released or even have an
>> asking price of 40.00 bucks.

> and we didn't get people asking how to get gpl, n2k2,n2k3 etc, etc, etc
> running properly. didn't get complaints about ai in other games. didn't
> get people asking how to get their controllers working in gtr. haven't had
> anyone ask how to get fps increase in any prior games. we haven't had
> people getting ctd with other games. show me one game that has been
> released where there haven't been issues!
>
> the game ain't perfect. big difference is the devs are in the forums,
> listening, watching and offering assistance.

Steve, that was just that same guy Reggie White trolling you under another
name.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old September 8th 05, 12:41 AM
R Keating

PlowBoy wrote:
> but it seems as robust as symantec's boggy suites I been exposed to, we use
> NAVCE at my corporate job. BTW, in the Yahoo stuff, the only let down is
> the fact that if you are not logged on as the ADMINISTRATOR in xp with the
> Accounts Administrator logon (for dsl and et al accounts therein) you dont
> have much of a 'dashboard'. again I am used to trying to figure out what is
> wrong on MS operating systems.

Does the account you are running rFactor from have administrator
permission? Don't know if it needs it, ... just a thought.

> So can you tell me what should be happenging, I launch the game via ICON, I
> get small imagespace & sound, black screen with Rfactor showing, that is
> all...

After the rFactor screen you should be taken into the sim with the same
basic look as the demo (three selections on the left hand side). I have
no idea what information is being sent out. I allow rFactor.exe because
it needs to get through the firewall to play on line. I changed my
graphic driver and rF Config.exe was run when I tried to start the sim.
I was surprised that it wanted to pass through the fire wall too.

Old September 8th 05, 02:31 AM
Timmy Ferrell

"Sting32" > wrote in message
. ..
> Dilemma,

The readme file notes a problem with some Aniti-Virus programs, not the
firewalls...
I had a similar problem until I put my AV program on snooze, just until the
progam loaded ( you will see the ISPACE logo and it will not freeze up).
The readme notes a problem with this.
Hope this helps,
Timmy

Old September 8th 05, 03:24 AM
Steve Whitty

"Sting32" > wrote in message
> more info, had a second reinstalled everything, killed XP's firewall... &
> no registry entries found for rfactor or trymedia found as you
> suggested... so clicked on defaults in config utils... 800x600x16 make
> shortcut figured this time Ill let it run while did my chores. took long
> time now again, for the splash screen even another few minutes to the
> black rfacter (cusomise control connect) left then... figured it locked
> up but... 10 minutes later, I came back it was ready for me to give it a
> name (profile) with DOB (optional) and location. it was like I was
> bubble sorting 300k list on an apple2e... slow as ****, now took 3 minutes
> to get my nick in there, take one letter then forever to take next
> letter... hit accept wait 3 minutes (hardly no drive activity) and ask
> what to drive (you know the screen) wanted open wheel I thought. click
> that and crap I decided I better go back and report. Rebooot the pc and
> here I am.
>
> help anything? Im off to rsc...

yeah something definately not right there. to me it seems theres some
process going on in the background that is eating up all the resources. I
could be wrong though.

run the rfconfig again, but select windowed mode. see if you're getting any
pop up screens when the game is trying to launch.

if that doesn't work, best thing to do, as you said, you were heading to
rsc. shoot a post in the tech assistance section. hopefully the devs will
spot it shortly, or if someone else has had the same prob, can sort you out.

cheers

steve

Old September 8th 05, 04:07 AM
Sting32

Well ****,

Im onto something, A dude running Zone Alarm had same symptoms, killed ZA,
and everything is fine... But I have a fricking DSL provided freaking home
firewall, THe pos has settings but nothing like I would fk with turning off
for what game????

BTW, So, what is Rfactor doing trying to make it's own unsolicited
connection, and how come NR03, and lots of other 2 way apps all work fine,
like P2P, all the chat utils, and teamspeak and VIOP and crap, but this
game?

dont tell me it is the firewall, everything out going is being allowed ...

Disallow unsolicited inbound traffic.
NO NETBIOS
NO remote management...

that is it.

Old September 8th 05, 04:25 AM
Steve Whitty

"Sting32" > wrote in message
. ..
> Well ****,
>
> Im onto something, A dude running Zone Alarm had same symptoms, killed ZA,
> and everything is fine... But I have a fricking DSL provided freaking
> home firewall, THe pos has settings but nothing like I would fk with
> turning off for what game????
>
> BTW, So, what is Rfactor doing trying to make it's own unsolicited
> connection, and how come NR03, and lots of other 2 way apps all work fine,
> like P2P, all the chat utils, and teamspeak and VIOP and crap, but this
> game?
>
> dont tell me it is the firewall, everything out going is being allowed ...
>
> Disallow unsolicited inbound traffic.
> NO NETBIOS
> NO remote management...
>
> that is it.

the dsl supplied firewall should only be causing you problems if you're
trying to host. can you get in the game yet? if so, go to "connect" button
on left of screen, and then settings. setup a racecast account by email
addy and password. register account. exit game and restart. stay in
windowed mode looking for any pop up screens.

see if that works.

cheers
steve