1986 325es Power steering leaks

Old August 27th 07, 05:18 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 1986 325es Power steering leaks

Hi everyone,
I have a 1986 BMW 325es and I noticed that the power steering fluid
keeps leaking. I looked down and there are two hoses that come out of
the end of the resorvios, one goes to the front of the car and the
other one goes towards the steering of the car.
I looked down and the hose that goes to the power steering pump (close
to the radiator) does not leak but, the other hose that goes to the
steering culumb (I think) is the one that is leaking. Now, I do not
see the actual leak, I think I need to get under the car and check it
out.
My question is this, is it possible to get undet there and see if the
hose is busted and replace it or, it is something that a mechanic can
do( needs special tool, car needs to be lifted becase there is not
room under the car).
Has anybody done anything like this on these models? Is it easy to do?
Is ehre a picture of this somewhere where I can look and find out what
I am up against before trying to get under the car?
By the way the car is 5 speed and in US.

Thanks a bunch?

Old August 27th 07, 12:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bill[_4_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi everyone,
> I have a 1986 BMW 325es and I noticed that the power steering fluid
> keeps leaking. I looked down and there are two hoses that come out of
> the end of the resorvios, one goes to the front of the car and the
> other one goes towards the steering of the car.
> I looked down and the hose that goes to the power steering pump (close
> to the radiator) does not leak but, the other hose that goes to the
> steering culumb (I think) is the one that is leaking. Now, I do not
> see the actual leak, I think I need to get under the car and check it
> out.
> My question is this, is it possible to get undet there and see if the
> hose is busted and replace it or, it is something that a mechanic can
> do( needs special tool, car needs to be lifted becase there is not
> room under the car).
> Has anybody done anything like this on these models? Is it easy to do?
> Is ehre a picture of this somewhere where I can look and find out what
> I am up against before trying to get under the car?
> By the way the car is 5 speed and in US.
>
> Thanks a bunch

-----

First, you'll need to clean off the hoses, the reservoir, and the PS pump. I
used a car wash pressure system carefully. Then remove the pinch clamps on
the hoses and replace them with screw clamps. In the process, you may need
to cut back the hose ends to remove cracked or stiff hose to give the clamps
new grip surface (there should be enough hose for this). The fluid may need
to be drained, but can be done without draining more than the reservoir.
After this, you can tell if the hoses are OK, and if the rack itself is
leaking. The rack should be OK, it's most likely a hose leak. Those crimp
clamps are very "short-term." Make sure you get quality screw clamps, not
the cheap aluminum ones. I get a lot of mine for nothing from junkyards,
especially other BMWs.
My second BMW was an '87 325es. Great fuel economy, but not a lot of revs.
Black leather sport interior and 5speed.

Bill in Omaha
'86 535i

Old August 28th 07, 06:17 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jack[_7_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi everyone,
> I have a 1986 BMW 325es and I noticed that the power steering fluid
> keeps leaking. I looked down and there are two hoses that come out of
> the end of the resorvios, one goes to the front of the car and the
> other one goes towards the steering of the car.
> I looked down and the hose that goes to the power steering pump (close
> to the radiator) does not leak but, the other hose that goes to the
> steering culumb (I think) is the one that is leaking. Now, I do not
> see the actual leak, I think I need to get under the car and check it
> out.
> My question is this, is it possible to get undet there and see if the
> hose is busted and replace it or, it is something that a mechanic can
> do( needs special tool, car needs to be lifted becase there is not
> room under the car).
> Has anybody done anything like this on these models? Is it easy to do?
> Is ehre a picture of this somewhere where I can look and find out what
> I am up against before trying to get under the car?
> By the way the car is 5 speed and in US.
>
> Thanks a bunch?

I've been down this road with my '84 318i. The first possibility to explore
is that the leak may be happening because the hose clamp at the top end of
the hose under the reservoir may have become loose due to the rubber
shrinking from age. This is a definite possibility if your car still has
the factory crimp type hose clamps which cannot be tightened. The best
evidence of a leak at this location will be that the hose will be caked with
road dirt that has stuck to the wet hose. Replacing the hose clamp with a
screw type will solve the leak if this is the cause.

Location of OXYGEN (O2) Sensor on 1986 325es bmwguy2 BMW 11 June 18th 07 05:13 PM
My 1986 325es does not start up in the morning bmwguy2 BMW 6 May 16th 07 06:46 AM
Where is fuel filter on 1986 325es? bmwguy2 BMW 1 May 12th 07 01:16 AM
1991 318is and 1986 325es BDH BMW 1 September 8th 06 09:02 PM
steering rack 325es cheska BMW 2 May 9th 05 12:13 AM