different car in r Factor

Old November 17th 04, 02:01 PM
MadDAWG

Default different car in r Factor

I was online the other night and there was a car in game that was not one of
the three. It was almost a box and the tires stuck way out. Needless to say
it blew past me, but I was using the slow standard car. Anyone else seen
this before? If so what is it?

MadDAWG

Old November 17th 04, 02:29 PM
Joe King

"MadDAWG" > wrote in message
> I was online the other night and there was a car in game that was not one

of
> the three. It was almost a box and the tires stuck way out. Needless to

say
> it blew past me, but I was using the slow standard car. Anyone else seen
> this before? If so what is it?

I had one blow my doors off last nigt as well. I'm guessing it was some
sort of development vehicle that hasn't had the skins put on it.

Old November 17th 04, 02:50 PM
Plowboy2

ROFLMAO...

that car without the "skin" is what you see when someone joins & gets on the
track, until you go into the garage... it is a generic placeholder of
sorts, why they chose that instead of the default skin is a mystery.

Joe King enlightened us with:

Old November 17th 04, 06:12 PM
Dave Henrie

"Plowboy2" > wrote in

> ROFLMAO...
>
> that car without the "skin" is what you see when someone joins & gets
> on the track, until you go into the garage... it is a generic
> placeholder of sorts, why they chose that instead of the default skin
> is a mystery.

There is a good reason for the car. In all ISI based sims, there is a
big screen freeze whenever somebody joins an online session. Even GTR has
this. Well, the ISI guys seem to have figured out a fix. They have a pre-
loaded carshape for everyone who joins. Thus the server does not have to
send out any info for that car/driver and freeze the session. I think the
car is automatically replaced when the driver goes back into the pits. So
next time out, you will see his proper car...
I'm guessing they chose such a generic shape was to conserve system
resources. Who knows, in the final release, they may have a VW Beetle or
some other unique car. I wonder if the mod guys may even be able to craft
their own server cars.

dh
Old November 17th 04, 06:51 PM
Plowboy2

I wont pretend to be a programmer, lord knows what little C++ I had in
school is long lost in my brain somewhere, but is there that much of a
resource savings, to pick the "buggy" over the generically skinned &
included with the game-> car? Yeah OK, I would have to "guess it is so"
with this "LSI? engine" I guess, seems that is what they picked to fix it...

so this whole post is more or less rhetorical then, aint it.

Dave Henrie enlightened us with:

Old November 18th 04, 02:17 AM
Scoob Droolins

"Plowboy2" > wrote in message news:<HcMmd.2308$wC.1403@lakeread08>...
> I wont pretend to be a programmer, lord knows what little C++ I had in
> school is long lost in my brain somewhere, but is there that much of a
> resource savings, to pick the "buggy" over the generically skinned &
> included with the game-> car? Yeah OK, I would have to "guess it is so"
> with this "LSI? engine" I guess, seems that is what they picked to fix it...
>
> so this whole post is more or less rhetorical then, aint it.
>

> Dave Henrie enlightened us with:
> > "Plowboy2" > wrote in
> >
> >> ROFLMAO...
> >>
> >> that car without the "skin" is what you see when someone joins & gets
> >> on the track, until you go into the garage... it is a generic
> >> placeholder of sorts, why they chose that instead of the default skin
> >> is a mystery.

> > There is a good reason for the car. In all ISI based sims, there
> > is a big screen freeze whenever somebody joins an online session.
> > Even GTR has this. Well, the ISI guys seem to have figured out a
> > fix. They have a pre- loaded carshape for everyone who joins. Thus
> > the server does not have to send out any info for that car/driver and
> > freeze the session. I think the car is automatically replaced when
> > the driver goes back into the pits. So next time out, you will see
> > his proper car... I'm guessing they chose such a generic shape was
> > to conserve system resources. Who knows, in the final release, they
> > may have a VW Beetle or some other unique car. I wonder if the mod
> > guys may even be able to craft their own server cars.
> >
> > dh

Hi -

You're right, the little yellow car is a placeholder for fast loading.
It is actually preloaded, so there is no loading overhead when
someone joins (and very little resource usage, since they are all the
same). Since the game is totally modifiable, there is really no way
to preload a potentially unknown (modified) car. The hitch
experienced when joining in the past was caused by disc access
(getting meshes, textures, etc), which we now defer until you are back
in the garage. The car was purposely made silly looking so people
would know that it was not an actual driver's model (it even says,
'return to monitor' on the skin, i guess that didn't go over too
well?). Hopefully, an even better solution will be found before
release.

joe
image space
Old November 18th 04, 04:32 AM
buster

> Hi -
>
> You're right, the little yellow car is a placeholder for fast loading.
> It is actually preloaded, so there is no loading overhead when
> someone joins (and very little resource usage, since they are all the
> same). Since the game is totally modifiable, there is really no way
> to preload a potentially unknown (modified) car. The hitch
> experienced when joining in the past was caused by disc access
> (getting meshes, textures, etc), which we now defer until you are back
> in the garage. The car was purposely made silly looking so people
> would know that it was not an actual driver's model (it even says,
> 'return to monitor' on the skin, i guess that didn't go over too
> well?). Hopefully, an even better solution will be found before
> release.
>
> joe
> image space

i just wanna say you guys rock, rfactor is becoming the perfect racing game
Old November 18th 04, 09:01 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On 17 Nov 2004 17:17:41 -0800, Scoob Droolins wrote:

> would know that it was not an actual driver's model (it even says,
> 'return to monitor' on the skin, i guess that didn't go over too
> well?). Hopefully, an even better solution will be found before

Shouldn't that be "return to mainframe"? ;-)

Cheers, uwe

PS: Gene Wolfe reference for those who haven't read "Long Sun" series

--
mail replies to Uwe at schuerkamp dot de ( yahoo address is spambox)
Uwe Schuerkamp //////////////////////////// http://www.schuerkamp.de/
Old November 18th 04, 03:56 PM
Pat

(Scoob Droolins) wrote in message . com>...
> "Plowboy2" > wrote in message news:<HcMmd.2308$wC.1403@lakeread08>...
> > I wont pretend to be a programmer, lord knows what little C++ I had in
> > school is long lost in my brain somewhere, but is there that much of a
> > resource savings, to pick the "buggy" over the generically skinned &
> > included with the game-> car? Yeah OK, I would have to "guess it is so"
> > with this "LSI? engine" I guess, seems that is what they picked to fix it...
> >
> > so this whole post is more or less rhetorical then, aint it.
> >

> > Dave Henrie enlightened us with:
> > > "Plowboy2" > wrote in

> > > There is a good reason for the car. In all ISI based sims, there
> > > is a big screen freeze whenever somebody joins an online session.
> > > Even GTR has this. Well, the ISI guys seem to have figured out a
> > > fix. They have a pre- loaded carshape for everyone who joins. Thus
> > > the server does not have to send out any info for that car/driver and
> > > freeze the session. I think the car is automatically replaced when
> > > the driver goes back into the pits. So next time out, you will see
> > > his proper car... I'm guessing they chose such a generic shape was
> > > to conserve system resources. Who knows, in the final release, they
> > > may have a VW Beetle or some other unique car. I wonder if the mod
> > > guys may even be able to craft their own server cars.
> > >
> > > dh

> Hi -
>
> You're right, the little yellow car is a placeholder for fast loading.
> It is actually preloaded, so there is no loading overhead when
> someone joins (and very little resource usage, since they are all the
> same). Since the game is totally modifiable, there is really no way
> to preload a potentially unknown (modified) car. The hitch
> experienced when joining in the past was caused by disc access
> (getting meshes, textures, etc), which we now defer until you are back
> in the garage. The car was purposely made silly looking so people
> would know that it was not an actual driver's model (it even says,
> 'return to monitor' on the skin, i guess that didn't go over too
> well?). Hopefully, an even better solution will be found before
> release.
>
> joe
> image space

I thought it was made to look so silly so that it would be obvious
(for test/debug purposes) when someone was joining a server during a
session. This would make sense since the purpose of this version of
rFactor is to test multi-player performance. I would guess that it
would be made to "blend in" a bit more with the actual default car
models when the final game is released. Is this not the case?

-Pat
Old November 18th 04, 04:20 PM
Plowboy2

Scoob,

Can you tell me more about this? is the texture (once you take yourself to
the garage) being handed to your computer, from the person who joins? or is
it like NR-papy where it is going to see if you have the "skin" in inventory
to then load it when you goto the garage?

thanks!

Scoob Droolins enlightened us with: