CLUTCH PEDAL ??

Old November 19th 04, 01:39 AM
nrutas

Default CLUTCH PEDAL ??

Hey, just got a 95 Saturn SL2. It's a 5 speed and today the car wouldn't
shift. Seems the pedal (?) rod fell away from the firewall. Is this
possible? I guess I got my cowboy boot caught on it and pulled the pedal
forward and broke the car. There are two plugs that seem to go nowhere
and the previous owner has is also nowhere to be found; disappeared after
he said "Yeah, that happened to me once." So, can you guys/gals tell me,
is there a spring that goes to this pedal, what gives it tension and where
do those plugs go? Is this a major problem or am I just lucky enough to
buy a "lemon"???

Old November 21st 04, 07:29 AM

With my sw2, 93, which is DOHC also, I replaced the hydraulic
clutch line which involved one end of it going thru the firewall
and there was the rod connecting to the pedal to deal with. That
rod requires a clip style spring retainer to keep it on the
pedal and it was hard for me to look up there, under the dash,
and get the bugger properly re-installed. I ended up using a
mirror and flashlight just to see what I was doing. I did get it
back together after awhile. It may be the clip just came off or
was missing when you got the car. Maybe it's something else too.
Good luck... See Haynes manual or some other such manual. I
don't recall any other spring being there. I doubt the 95 is any
different than the 93's.

Old November 22nd 04, 01:32 PM
nrutas

Thanks. I did find a spring in the book but couldn't on the pedal. But
that makes sense that it is in the dash; that's why I couldn't find it.

Also, strange as this sounds with the rod simply put back into the
firewall the vehicle is running again. It shifts hard. So I guess I need
to see if I can replace the spring before attempting to replace the
shifter, etc. Everyone so far is telling me that the transmission is
gone. How can that be when I am driving the vehicle??

Old November 22nd 04, 01:54 PM
Napalm Heart

"nrutas" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Thanks. I did find a spring in the book but couldn't on the pedal.

But
> that makes sense that it is in the dash; that's why I couldn't find

it.

> Also, strange as this sounds with the rod simply put back into the
> firewall the vehicle is running again. It shifts hard. So I guess

I need
> to see if I can replace the spring before attempting to replace the
> shifter, etc. Everyone so far is telling me that the transmission

is
> gone. How can that be when I am driving the vehicle??

Does "everyone" have any automotive knowledge or are they just talking
**** to try to get you geeked-up or get you to spend lots of money?

Ken

Clutch pedal vibration Norm Honda 0 November 28th 04 03:06 PM
e36 clutch pedal adjustment question P-u-h-e-k BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:41 PM
Clutch pedal effort on 96 Civic Udayan Bhapkar Honda 1 October 11th 04 02:24 PM
Heavy clutch pedal in '86 Turbo Quattro cp Audi 6 October 2nd 04 12:12 AM
Clutch pedal hard to press in hot weather (Alfa 156) Steven Spits Alfa Romeo 1 July 16th 04 12:02 PM