proper tire inflation?

Old January 16th 04, 09:37 AM
rnf2

"Roger Brown" > wrote in message
> 4000 psi wrote:
> >
> > i did the math according to this link and the pressure comes out to be

about
> > 20 psi for the load that i have ... can i seriously run the pressure

that
> > low?

> You'll likely not come up with one answer or one pressure. I've run 20-22

psi in my 33x10.50 BFGs on the highway and they do OK, no signs of
overheating. But for extended high speed driving, I generally run about 30
psi or higher. Start out with the
> suggested inflation specs for the vehilce, often in an Owner's manual,

sticker on the door jamb or glove box, etc. If that feels too soft,
increase the pressure, if too firm, decrease it. Watch the tread wear and
tread contact patch and come up with
> something that works for you, your driving style, your vehicle and tires.
>
> --
> Roger

offroad on sand and mud you can go down to 8 PSI on Troopers (31x10.5 R15)
for a period.

Old January 16th 04, 04:20 PM
4000 psi

i contacted Tire Rack where i bought the tires and they recommended 32-35
psi, the glove box sticker suggests 26 psi front and rear ... what a
discrepancy

Old January 16th 04, 04:20 PM
4000 psi

Old January 16th 04, 05:13 PM
Mike Romain

26 psi????

What are you driving one of those fords that put too low a pressure
sticker on them so the tires explode and flip the vehicles?

There is a recall for that sticker if that is the case.

That does seem low though. That said, I run 28 psi in my Jeep CJ7 with
33" tires and 32 psi in my Cherokee with p235x15 tires.

I check mine using the 'chalk method'. I set the psi then run some
chalk across the tread and drive in a straight line. I then see how
much chalk is worn away.

At 28 psi, I have about 1/4" of chalk left on the outside edges of the
tread. When the tire shop installed my tires and put 36 in them I only
wore out 3" of the center of the tread. Not a nice 'footprint'.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 16th 04, 05:13 PM
Mike Romain

Old January 16th 04, 05:28 PM
4000 psi

its an Infiniti QX4 2001 ... when you use the chalk method ... do you run
the chalk right across the entire width of the tire? then when you roll the
car forward do you examine the chalk foot print on the ground or on the
tire?

Old January 16th 04, 05:28 PM
4000 psi

Old January 16th 04, 11:47 PM
Markeau

The new tires are not far from stock. Start at the recommended 26
f/r, then go up 2lbs all around to see if that helps or hurts, etc.
Don't listen to Tire Rack, they did not engineer the vehicle.

Old January 16th 04, 11:47 PM
Markeau