Homework 10 home automotive repairs starting from an oil change and ending with engine replacement

Old October 19th 18, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default Homework 10 home automotive repairs starting from an oil changeand ending with engine replacement

On 10/18/2018 12:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I don't think #10 should be in there. Who the heck replaces engines?

Son pulled the engine from his old Corolla by standing on the fenders
with a strap over his back fastened into the headbolt holes. We built a
tripod out of pipe, muffler clamps and jackstands later on -- attach a
come-along to the jackstand at the top, push the car between the tripod
legs...

--
Cheers, Bev
Hmph. I used to have snow tires. Never again. They melted in the
Old October 19th 18, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hank Rogers[_2_]

The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/18/2018 12:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I don't think #10 should be in there. Who the heck replaces engines?

> Son pulled the engine from his old Corolla by standing on the fenders
> with a strap over his back fastened into the headbolt holes. We built a
> tripod out of pipe, muffler clamps and jackstands later on -- attach a
> come-along to the jackstand at the top, push the car between the tripod
> legs...

I remember that guy! He used his willy to press out a control arm
bushing on a 1965 ford, if memory serves.

Old October 20th 18, 10:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 1:16:51 PM UTC-10, AMuzi wrote:
> On 10/18/2018 2:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 3:07:37 PM UTC-10, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
> >> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
> >> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
> >>
> >> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a list
> >> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
> >> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
> >> replacement.
> >>
> >> Can I run by you my first list?
> >>
> >> 1. Oil & filter Change
> >> 10. Engine replacement
> >>
> >> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement
> >> 3. Flush & replace all fluids
> >> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
> >> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
> >> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
> >> 7. Cooling system overhaul
> >> 8. Starter replacement
> >> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
> >>
> >> How does that list look as a first pass?

> > I don't think #10 should be in there. Who the heck replaces engines? Certain crazy people I suppose. I have removed and re-built engines although the engine I re-built was a Mazda rotary which anybody should be able to do.. Mostly, I removed engines to replace the clutch. It was just easier that way. There was one car that didn't require me to remove the transmission or the engine to change the clutch. What car was that?
> >

> Saab?
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

You are right about that. You don't have to separate the engine from the transmission. The clutch is in the front of the car and power is transferred to the front using gears. I used to want a 900 Saab but have never owned one. The car I had was a Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV. In this car, the transmission is at the rear axle. You have to take out the driveshaft and clutch cover to get to the clutch. I'm guessing that a 924/944 Porsche would be similar..
Old October 20th 18, 10:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 3:59:41 PM UTC-10, Xeno wrote:
> On 19/10/18 6:02 am, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 3:07:37 PM UTC-10, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
> >> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
> >> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
> >>
> >> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a list
> >> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
> >> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
> >> replacement.
> >>
> >> Can I run by you my first list?
> >>
> >> 1. Oil & filter Change
> >> 10. Engine replacement
> >>
> >> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement
> >> 3. Flush & replace all fluids
> >> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
> >> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
> >> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
> >> 7. Cooling system overhaul
> >> 8. Starter replacement
> >> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
> >>
> >> How does that list look as a first pass?

> > I don't think #10 should be in there. Who the heck replaces engines? Certain crazy people I suppose. I have removed and re-built engines although the engine I re-built was a Mazda rotary which anybody should be able to do.. Mostly, I removed engines to replace the clutch. It was just easier that way. There was one car that didn't require me to remove the transmission or the engine to change the clutch. What car was that?
> >

> The GM 4 cylinder FWD unit. It was the Camira in Australia. Don't know
> what they called them in your neck of the woods but they used the GM
> Family II engine, the Camtech 16LF;
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#16LF
>
> Some models of Daewoo used the same powerplant.
>

> --
>
> Xeno
>

> Nothing astonishes Noddy so much as common sense and plain dealing.
> (with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Beats me, I've never seen one of those cars before.
Old October 20th 18, 10:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 20/10/18 8:34 pm, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 3:59:41 PM UTC-10, Xeno wrote:

>>> I don't think #10 should be in there. Who the heck replaces engines? Certain crazy people I suppose. I have removed and re-built engines although the engine I re-built was a Mazda rotary which anybody should be able to do.. Mostly, I removed engines to replace the clutch. It was just easier that way. There was one car that didn't require me to remove the transmission or the engine to change the clutch. What car was that?
>>>

>> The GM 4 cylinder FWD unit. It was the Camira in Australia. Don't know
>> what they called them in your neck of the woods but they used the GM
>> Family II engine, the Camtech 16LF;
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#16LF
>>
>> Some models of Daewoo used the same powerplant.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Xeno
>>

>> Nothing astonishes Noddy so much as common sense and plain dealing.
>> (with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

> Beats me, I've never seen one of those cars before.

I'm not sure of them. I have only worked on the automatics in them - the
THM 125 Hydramatic. It's just something I recall from 20 odd years ago.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)