D30 W/TrueTrac Drivers side wheel engaged

Old December 13th 05, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default D30 W/TrueTrac Drivers side wheel engaged

The other day the road was icy and when I pulled off the grass and onto
the road the front drivers side wheel was spinning. I was not in 4Hi or
4Lo... So what gives

There was not 4WD light on ... nothing but a new truetrac put into the
D30 over the summer...

Does this mean my Tcase is going bad?

Brian Moga
Waxhaw.Net
Old December 13th 05, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It might help if you say what flavor of Jeep you have.

If your front is locked and you were turning, one wheel will scuff the
road. Maybe it was that?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old December 13th 05, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Well, we know you were in four wheel drive, a big problem on
pavement.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 13th 05, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I'm going to guess a YJ is what yer driving, I think I heard someone saying
something about how the front right is engaged. I don't know tho.

Troy

Old December 14th 05, 08:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Front left. It wouldn't have driven the wheel though, unless the transfer
case was engaged. More poltergeists.

Earle

Old December 14th 05, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I think you may have hit the nail on the head...3" body lifts can cause all
sorts of shifting problems.

. ..

Old December 14th 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Old December 14th 05, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The 3" body lift is a problem with more than just the shifter... It
will stress out and flex big time.

I think folks have to modify the shifter when going waaay up like that.
On some there is a linkage extension you can get I believe.

You cannot drive it on pavement that way or you 'will' break something
in the drivetrain.

I got stuck on pavement in 4x4 (no place to pull off the highway) and my
T-case was stuck in 4x4 because it wound/bound up before I noticed the
snow was gone. I finally got to stop and spin the tires to release it
so it would shift to 2 WD, but I was too late. I only killed a u-joint
in the front driveshaft. Our old tennant did it in a XJ and literally
exploded his t-case....

Old December 14th 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Wait, so ya mean the front left engages when 4wd is engaged or it's engaged
all the time? Just trying to correct myself and know for sure.

Troy

m...

Old December 14th 05, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The normal torque on Jeep wheels is the right rear as the main drive
wheel in 2 WD and the left front as the secondary main drive wheel when
in 4x4.

That is why when you do a 5 tire rotation, the spare goes on the right
rear with the right rear going to the right front and the right front to
the spare.

They figure the three swapping on the main drive side will even out the
wear with just swapping the left tires front to back.

There are some differentials out there that work different, but they
usually put something like a 'LT' sticker on the vehicle or in it's name
for Left Tire drive.