C6 roadster or coupe?

Old December 4th 07, 10:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JimH[_2_]

Default C6 roadster or coupe?

I currently own my third Corvette. I had a 1971 LT1, a 1985, and now, a
1993 40th Anniversary. They have all been used when I got them, and they
have all been coupes.

I'm looking forward to getting my first new Corvette in 2010, for my
60th birthday. I'm really tempted to buy a roadster. I live in Tucson,
so much of the year is very nice weather. Obviously, the summer is far
too hot for an open vehicle, but even today in early December, it is in
the 70's.

The thing that holds me back is that I see roadsters (Corvette, and
other sports cars), and the roof is closed almost all of the time. What
do roadster owners think? Would you do it again? How is the car to drive
regularly with the top down? Why do so many people put their top up? How
is the car to drive with the top up?

Thanks for your input.

-Jim-
Old December 5th 07, 02:19 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

Most of the miles on our '03 are top down. Top goes up at night when the
temp drops into the mid 60's. Or during the day if it get much over 100.

Old December 5th 07, 12:11 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_2_]

Jim:
I currently own 63 72 & 98 Convertibles...and 76 & 79
Coupes...sold my 95 coupe last year....

Both my wife and I are 63...

Traveling...(like on trips) Both of us want a roof over our heads...
Just that after 4-5 or 6 hours at highway (interstate) speeds (75-80
mph) we prefer to arrive a little more refreshed...

Local trips" completely different story...Tops Down unless the sun is
blistering (usually between noon and 6 PM) ... Early morning and any
evening there is no way that darn top is going to be up.. No way
ever.

Many owners of coupes say they can enjoy the convertible feeling by
removing the roof panel(s).. well they may... BUT after you own and
drive a Convertible you know that the feeling is just not the same
....nor is it even close .. no way no how... its very different.

Do not get me wrong I enjoy my coupes and actually prefer them when I
want to put the hammer down between point A & point B ...and I am not
in the sight seeing mode... But when I want to really enjoy the
weather, the car, and the scenery I take a convertible...

Just my personal "thing"...if I was restricted to owning just one
Corvette it would be a Convertible...

Bob G.

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:33:30 -0700, JimH

Old December 6th 07, 03:56 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
M[_2_]

My first Vette was a 67 'Vert & it had a hard top.
I loved the exhaust sound from the drivers seat with the top down -not to
mention the sun & all..
Also had 4 Stingray T-Tops. Best of both worlds tops off , convenient
storage.
My most recent previous 02 C5 Z06 ( hardtop) No sun there but didnt miss
it THAT much
Now I have '06 C6 coupe -Targa roof. I wont say I prefer the T-Tops but the
one piece roof is kind of a pain to remove & store alone ( not that heavy
but prone to getting scratched on shirt buttons , watches jewelry etc...
I always love a drop top but a few years ago I had a Rag Top IROC with only
liability insurance & some mall hoodlums decided to "Zorro" the thing with a
box cutter.. It was a prime factor in determining which vette to go with..
Another thing to consider is the additional weight involved with a
convertible.
But hey, On a beautiful sunny day It don't get any better than driving a
Corvette convertible

Good luck with your choice
final note - very few cars are so drop dead gorgeous that they look great
with or without a top..i.e. Volkswagen Beetle , Porsche, Saab hahaha they
all look like they have a growth blooming from the trunk

Old December 6th 07, 05:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ACAR

On Dec 4, 5:33 pm, JimH > wrote:

> The thing that holds me back is that I see roadsters (Corvette, and
> other sports cars), and the roof is closed almost all of the time.

I really like a roadster for back roads. I really hate them for
highway travel, especially in traffic. So I bought a coupe. And I
agree with the poster who said a removable roof panel is NOT a
substitute for a convertible roof.

So how do you intend to use your car? Could it be that you're spending
most of your time on highways where top-down driving isn't that much
fun?

Old December 6th 07, 11:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JimH[_2_]

ACAR wrote:
> On Dec 4, 5:33 pm, JimH > wrote:
>
>> The thing that holds me back is that I see roadsters (Corvette, and
>> other sports cars), and the roof is closed almost all of the time.

> I really like a roadster for back roads. I really hate them for
> highway travel, especially in traffic. So I bought a coupe. And I
> agree with the poster who said a removable roof panel is NOT a
> substitute for a convertible roof.
>
> So how do you intend to use your car? Could it be that you're spending
> most of your time on highways where top-down driving isn't that much
> fun?

Thanks for all the comments. I think based on what I've read here, I'll
end up buying a coupe.

The roadster seems like it would be a lot of fun in some circumstances.
I can remember driving through back roads in Pennsylvania and upstate
New York. In particular, I can remember riding in a friends Alfa Romeo
Spider Veloci about 1975. It was great, but I had long hair, and it got
knotted badly by the wind. That wouldn't be a problem anymore. I've got
a full head of hair, but it isn't long anymore.

The back roads around here are mostly dirt roads, and the rest are
either highways or crowded high speed roads. That is probably why I
always see the tops up.

Another question then... I have a little extension for the rear hatch
latch in my '93 coupe. It opens the hatch a crack for driving with the
top off. It reduces the turbulence inside the car. The C6 has body
panels in addition to the glass in the hatch lid. Do these things work
with the C6, or have they resolved the turbulence of driving with the
top off?

Thanks again.

Jim
Old December 7th 07, 10:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Skip Collinge

I have an '04 Z06 hardtop and a '90 ZR 1, and it takes 5 minutes to get half
the roof off!! I fondly remember my '95 convertible and I had the top down
all the time. I live in Los Angeles, and while summer days are definitely
for air conditioning, early mornings and nights are made for convertibles.

But like anything else in life, it's always a matter of preference.

Skip