Engine cuts off after starting

Old September 23rd 04, 03:53 PM
derek

Default Engine cuts off after starting

Hey guys,
Just checking ideas on whats causing the following symptoms (Automatic 96
Accord EX). This just started this morning.

- I drove to work no problem (30mins). Parked and turned off the car, then
decided i needed to straighten up a bit, so started the car and after
starting, it cut off.
I restartd the car, it cutoff. Starting again worked... straightened up the
car then stopped it. I decided to test it again... restarted the car and it
cutoff.

What are your thoughts? (i have a 500 mile drive tomorrow, so hoping its
nothing big)
Thanks

Old September 23rd 04, 05:26 PM
Hamish

"derek" > wrote in message ...
> Hey guys,
> Just checking ideas on whats causing the following symptoms (Automatic 96
> Accord EX). This just started this morning.
>
> - I drove to work no problem (30mins). Parked and turned off the car, then
> decided i needed to straighten up a bit, so started the car and after
> starting, it cut off.
> I restartd the car, it cutoff. Starting again worked... straightened up

the
> car then stopped it. I decided to test it again... restarted the car and

it
> cutoff.
>
> What are your thoughts? (i have a 500 mile drive tomorrow, so hoping its
> nothing big)
> Thanks

Just found this as it relates to my sons Prelude problem, I am not sure if
it will affect your 96 as in the UK it does say 97-2000

Honda Stung By Monster Recall

n electrical fault that could cause engines to stall without prior
warning has forced Honda into its biggest ever UK recall.

A staggering 50,000 drivers are affected by the problem, caused by a
contact point in the ignition switch. It was found to be faulty by US
engineers, and could cause

a high-speed stall, although no accidents have been reported.

The recall affects certain cars built between 1997 and 2000. Models
hit are the last-generation Accord, Civic and CR-V, plus the Prelude. A
spokesman for Honda's UK arm said that owners would be contacted in due
course.

Attached Images
File Type: gif 1pix.gif (43 Bytes, 98 views)
File Type: gif _A.gif (451 Bytes, 104 views)
Old September 23rd 04, 09:56 PM
Rollers Loft+

I believe you need to look for fuel pump, rotor and rotor cap. These
are main cause of cutoff
Old September 24th 04, 07:28 AM
Red Cloud

"derek" > wrote in message >...
> Hey guys,
> Just checking ideas on whats causing the following symptoms (Automatic 96
> Accord EX). This just started this morning.
>
> - I drove to work no problem (30mins). Parked and turned off the car, then
> decided i needed to straighten up a bit, so started the car and after
> starting, it cut off.
> I restartd the car, it cutoff. Starting again worked... straightened up the
> car then stopped it. I decided to test it again... restarted the car and it
> cutoff.
>
> What are your thoughts? (i have a 500 mile drive tomorrow, so hoping its
> nothing big)
> Thanks

Did you modified the car? It probalby has to do with computer chip that
upgraded.
Old September 24th 04, 06:53 PM
Nolimit50420001

Or it could be the whole distributor not just the cap or rotor this same exact
thing happened to my 95 integra
Old September 25th 04, 08:58 AM
Frank Boettcher

Try starting it then don't let the key come all the way back to the
run position. See if it keeps running. Then let it come back and see
if it stalls. My 90 was doing that. Turned out to be the ignition
switch.