Dead car! Won't start.. :(

Old September 29th 04, 02:13 AM
Chris Garcia

Default Dead car! Won't start.. :(

Well, looks like our '91 Civic made its last stand.. After a week and a
half of not using it, it won't start anymore..

My plans are to sell it as soon as possible.. Gonna buy my boss's '01
Toyota Highlander (it would make an excellent family car) ..

But, I'd like to get it working again before selling it.. My question to
the group is: Are there some simple things I can check with a limited
amount of tools and a basic understanding of car mechanics? I have
screwdrivers, a socket set, and a multimeter.

Thanks in advance!

--
-Chris
http://www.ChrisGarcia.com - My Homepage
Old September 29th 04, 03:07 AM
motsco_ _

Chris Garcia wrote:
> Well, looks like our '91 Civic made its last stand.. After a week and a
> half of not using it, it won't start anymore..
>
> My plans are to sell it as soon as possible.. Gonna buy my boss's '01
> Toyota Highlander (it would make an excellent family car) ..
>
> But, I'd like to get it working again before selling it.. My question to
> the group is: Are there some simple things I can check with a limited
> amount of tools and a basic understanding of car mechanics? I have
> screwdrivers, a socket set, and a multimeter.
>
> Thanks in advance!

===========================

If it was running, but now it just spins but doesn't start, it's likely
flooded. Read your owner's manual to see how to start it. (it's in the
chapter about cold weather / high altitude starting).

Run some Techron injector cleaner thru it, or a couple tanks of gasohol
(in the manual).

My Odyssey did it after sitting overnight. 'Curly'

Old September 29th 04, 03:11 AM
Bill

In article >, Chris Garcia
> wrote:

>Well, looks like our '91 Civic made its last stand.. After a week and a
>half of not using it, it won't start anymore..
>
>My plans are to sell it as soon as possible.. Gonna buy my boss's '01
>Toyota Highlander (it would make an excellent family car) ..
>
>But, I'd like to get it working again before selling it.. My question to
>the group is: Are there some simple things I can check with a limited
>amount of tools and a basic understanding of car mechanics? I have
>screwdrivers, a socket set, and a multimeter.
>
>Thanks in advance!

Check the obvious things like-
Does it have spark/
Do you hear the fuel pump come on?
Old September 29th 04, 03:17 AM
Chris Garcia

"motsco_ _" <"motsco_ > decided to join the conversation
on 28 Sep 2004 with message :

> If it was running, but now it just spins but doesn't start, it's
> likely flooded. Read your owner's manual to see how to start it. (it's
> in the chapter about cold weather / high altitude starting).
>
> Run some Techron injector cleaner thru it, or a couple tanks of
> gasohol (in the manual).
>
> My Odyssey did it after sitting overnight. 'Curly'

Oops yeah .. It cranks, but won't start (forgot to mention that).. I
don't have the manual for the car.. I have the one for my '96 somewhere..
It really should be in the car, but I brought it in to read it and never
put it back in the car... Would the instructions be the same as any other
fuel injected car? If so, I know exactly where the one for my parents'
'99 cr-v is ..

Thanks!

Old September 29th 04, 03:32 AM
motsco_ _

Chris Garcia wrote:
> "motsco_ _" <"motsco_ > decided to join the conversation
> on 28 Sep 2004 with message :
>

>>If it was running, but now it just spins but doesn't start, it's
>>likely flooded. Read your owner's manual to see how to start it. (it's
>>in the chapter about cold weather / high altitude starting).
>>
>>Run some Techron injector cleaner thru it, or a couple tanks of
>>gasohol (in the manual).
>>
>>My Odyssey did it after sitting overnight. 'Curly'
>>

> Oops yeah .. It cranks, but won't start (forgot to mention that).. I
> don't have the manual for the car.. I have the one for my '96 somewhere..
> It really should be in the car, but I brought it in to read it and never
> put it back in the car... Would the instructions be the same as any other
> fuel injected car? If so, I know exactly where the one for my parents'
> '99 cr-v is ..
>
> Thanks!
> +++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's the short version... the engine needs AIR, so hold the pedal to
the FLOOR while you crank it. When it starts to run, let off the gas. It
will blow soot and smoke for a few seconds.

Same trick for starting in extreme cold (-40), when car will barely turn
over.

'Curly'

Old September 30th 04, 06:07 PM
Chris Garcia

Gerald Fay > decided to join the
conversation on 30 Sep 2004 with message
t:

> If the battery is over 3 years old it could need some xtra juice.
> Turn the headlights on and crank up the engine. If those lights get real
> dim you probably need to get a boost or charge up the battery.

Battery is maybe 3 or 4 months old at the most ...