Poetic Justice

Old August 18th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
DYM[_1_]

Default Poetic Justice

"Mike T." > wrote in
reenews.net:

>> I rode the bus in HS, I had a job in HS.
>> I rode the bus home and got a ride to work.
>>
>> It just continues to amaze me that what was a common everyday
>> experience for me is now 'punishment'.

> You're confused, brent. The punishment is, and always was, the
> activity that happened in the several hours preceding the bus ride
> home. Seriously, prior to college (and some would argue even during
> college years) did anybody learn anything at all that they would EVER
> use outside of a school environment? -Dave

You bet!

Both my kids came out of high school with some tools for later in life.
They learned to read and comprehend, they learned to critically
desconstruct a argument and disprove it point by point without it getting
peronal (Debate Team). They learn to write, both technical papers and
creative writing. They also have some very practical tools. Both are
proficient using Powerpoint to give presentations, Word and Excel.
Musical education, one violist, one singer. One lettered on the soccer
team. Both work also. They have to, to pay for books for college. Oh
yeah, they both went on to college.

Dave, you are too cynical.

Doug
Old August 18th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Mike T. wrote: <brevity snip>

> Seriously,
> prior to college (and some would argue even during college years) did
> anybody learn anything at all that they would EVER use outside of a school
> environment?

LOL! Where did you learn to write that sentence?
-----

- gpsman

Old August 18th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

"gpsman" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Mike T. wrote: <brevity snip>
>
>> Seriously,
>> prior to college (and some would argue even during college years) did
>> anybody learn anything at all that they would EVER use outside of a
>> school
>> environment?

> LOL! Where did you learn to write that sentence?
> -----
>
> - gpsman

Well good reading skills often lead to good writing skills, with no further
writing education necessary. The books I was supposed to read (through high
school level anyway) were so boring that I never bothered. I still remember
the look on my 10th-grade science teacher's face when I turned in the
textbook at the end of the year. She went to inspect it (for damage,
defacing, etc.) and the spine cracked like many new hardcover books do,
because that inspection at the end of the year was the FIRST time that brand
new textbook had been opened. I got a "B" in that class, btw. But not
having any interest in required reading material doesn't mean I never read
anything. I read a lot of books and magazines that were interesting to me,
but not on any public school curriculum. Consequently, I was already
reading and writing at college level before the end of 6th grade.

Of course, these days, the average college student is functionally
illiterate, so being able to read and write at college level by 6th grade
would no longer be anything to brag about. -Dave

Old August 18th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

> Dave, you are too cynical.
>
> Doug

Really? I'll take that as a complement. -Dave

Old August 18th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
DYM[_1_]

"Mike T." > wrote in
reenews.net:

> "gpsman" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Mike T. wrote: <brevity snip>
>>
>>> Seriously,
>>> prior to college (and some would argue even during college years)
>>> did anybody learn anything at all that they would EVER use outside
>>> of a school
>>> environment?

>> LOL! Where did you learn to write that sentence?
>> -----
>>
>> - gpsman

> Well good reading skills often lead to good writing skills, with no
> further writing education necessary. The books I was supposed to read
> (through high school level anyway) were so boring that I never
> bothered. I still remember the look on my 10th-grade science
> teacher's face when I turned in the textbook at the end of the year.
> She went to inspect it (for damage, defacing, etc.) and the spine
> cracked like many new hardcover books do, because that inspection at
> the end of the year was the FIRST time that brand new textbook had
> been opened. I got a "B" in that class, btw. But not having any
> interest in required reading material doesn't mean I never read
> anything. I read a lot of books and magazines that were interesting
> to me, but not on any public school curriculum. Consequently, I was
> already reading and writing at college level before the end of 6th
> grade.
>
> Of course, these days, the average college student is functionally
> illiterate, so being able to read and write at college level by 6th
> grade would no longer be anything to brag about. -Dave

You're making this up. While there are the not too bright in secondary
education, the majority of my kid's friends are well educated and can
hold their own in debate. Stop listening to the news, they only report
the out of the ordinary.

Or, it could be that we have a better high school than you went to, or
just expect more from the kids.

Doug
Old August 18th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
DYM[_1_]

"Mike T." > wrote in news:44e5bce8$0$17993$892e7fe2
@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

>> Dave, you are too cynical.
>>
>> Doug

> Really? I'll take that as a complement. -Dave

I know you'll never be disappointed. I try to look for the good in any
situation.

Bet my stress level is less than your's. ;-)

Doug
Old August 18th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Mike T. wrote: <brevity snip>
> "gpsman" wrote :
> > Mike T. wrote: <brevity snip>
> >
> >> Seriously,
> >> prior to college (and some would argue even during college years) did
> >> anybody learn anything at all that they would EVER use outside of a
> >> school
> >> environment?

> > LOL! Where did you learn to write that sentence?
> > -----

> I read a lot of books and magazines that were interesting to me,
> but not on any public school curriculum. Consequently, I was already
> reading and writing at college level before the end of 6th grade.

That seems rather unlikely since you don't read or write at the college
level now.

I'd place your analytical thinking skills at around the 8th grade
level. I'd point to your outrage about this teen being sentenced to
ride the bus as an obvious example. You've leapt so far to form your
conclusions about this case you escaped earth's gravity in less time
than it takes the space shuttle.
-----

- gpsman

Old August 18th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

> I'd place your analytical thinking skills at around the 8th grade
> level.

What does that say about you? Oh wait, I'm asking the wrong person. Never
mind

Old August 19th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Bill Funk

On 18 Aug 2006 10:56:24 -0700, "gpsman" >
wrote:

>I'd place your analytical thinking skills at around the 8th grade
>level. I'd point to your outrage about this teen being sentenced to
>ride the bus as an obvious example. You've leapt so far to form your
>conclusions about this case you escaped earth's gravity in less time
>than it takes the space shuttle.

So far, the space shuttles haven't escaped the Earth's gravity.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Poetic Justice Larry Bud Driving 3 August 14th 06 10:36 PM
Hummer vs Honda Civic................vigilante justice Hansi Honda 0 June 2nd 06 03:53 AM
Poetic Justice? Thomas Avery Driving 2 February 26th 06 03:06 PM
Justice for Sale Thomas Avery Driving 6 December 4th 05 04:24 AM
Poetic Justice at Last! Matthew Russotto Driving 20 February 23rd 05 09:04 PM