1982 Vette charging problems

Old January 8th 06, 10:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 1982 Vette charging problems

Help please,

Background...(1982 Vette) driving home the other evening and lights started
getting dim, barely made it home. Charged battery and tested Alt. Not
charging. Battery took charge. Removed Alt and took to Autozone, tested
fine. It seems I have done something that is not allowing the alternator to
charge correctly. Just prior to this I started replacing gauges with
aftermarket types, I did short a piece of the gauge backing/strip. Possible
the problem but plan on eliminating the backing. Other things to
consider, power at back of alt to battery (screw), Two wire plug - Power at
red wire, no power on brown (believe this the problem). Not quite sure what
or where the brown wire goes. Anyone out there have a suggestion?

Bob

Old January 9th 06, 02:51 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

82vette wrote:
> Help please,
>
> Background...(1982 Vette) driving home the other evening and lights started
> getting dim, barely made it home. Charged battery and tested Alt. Not
> charging. Battery took charge. Removed Alt and took to Autozone, tested
> fine. It seems I have done something that is not allowing the alternator to
> charge correctly. Just prior to this I started replacing gauges with
> aftermarket types, I did short a piece of the gauge backing/strip. Possible
> the problem but plan on eliminating the backing. Other things to
> consider, power at back of alt to battery (screw), Two wire plug - Power at
> red wire, no power on brown (believe this the problem). Not quite sure what
> or where the brown wire goes. Anyone out there have a suggestion?
>
> Bob

Hi Bob,

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Don't have the wiring diagrams for the '82 but on the '79 thru '81, that
wire goes to the GEN warning light. The other side of the GEN light
goes to the return for the gauges. From there, the instrument panel and
cluster returns get involved with other indicator lamps, the choke relay
and the tach. Best to get an '82 diagram to work from since there's
some solid state stuff involved.

Inside the alternator, the terminal from the brown wire connects to a
pair of transistors in the regulator circuit. I don't have enough
detail to tell what that circuit does but I suspect that the changes in
gauge wiring have disturbed the ground resistance in the GEN light
circuit and may be shutting down your alternator.

--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe
Old January 9th 06, 05:27 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Aftermarket ammeters (amp gauge) are often real ammeters and measure actual
current. Factory amp gauges measure a voltage drop across a known
resistance and do not have actual current through them. So you could have
blown something with a real amp gauge.

The alternator for an '82 is an internal regulator (1969-up) and is easily
damaged, often by transient spikes such as during jumping another car, loose
battery connections (arcing a cable to a terminal), and so on.

What frequently happens is that you lose one phase on the alternator. This
will test find on the crude analog testers in the typical parts store. It
will usually only show slightly under a heavy load. But what happen is if
you imagine three sine waves 60 degrees apart so that you have evenly spaced
peaks. On full wave rectified, you have three peaks, then the lower half is
flipped on top by the rectification and you have peaks 4,5, and 6. This
brings you back to the beginning of the cycle.

Now if you lose a phase or if one phase rectification goes out, you will
either have peak, peak, zero, peak, peak, zero on voltage or you will have
peak, peak, peak, peak peak, negative peak. Either of these will allow a
cheap tester to show a full 12 - 14 volts but the actual voltage and current
is severely diminished.

Return your gauges and wiring back to original, replace the alternator.

"PJ" > wrote in message ...
> 82vette wrote:
>> Help please,
>>
>> Background...(1982 Vette) driving home the other evening and lights
>> started getting dim, barely made it home. Charged battery and tested
>> Alt. Not charging. Battery took charge. Removed Alt and took to
>> Autozone, tested fine. It seems I have done something that is not
>> allowing the alternator to charge correctly. Just prior to this I
>> started replacing gauges with aftermarket types, I did short a piece of
>> the gauge backing/strip. Possible the problem but plan on eliminating the
>> backing. Other things to consider, power at back of alt to battery
>> (screw), Two wire plug - Power at red wire, no power on brown (believe
>> this the problem). Not quite sure what or where the brown wire goes.
>> Anyone out there have a suggestion?
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Hi Bob,
>
> Sounds like you are on the right track.
>
> Don't have the wiring diagrams for the '82 but on the '79 thru '81, that
> wire goes to the GEN warning light. The other side of the GEN light goes
> to the return for the gauges. From there, the instrument panel and
> cluster returns get involved with other indicator lamps, the choke relay
> and the tach. Best to get an '82 diagram to work from since there's some
> solid state stuff involved.
>
> Inside the alternator, the terminal from the brown wire connects to a pair
> of transistors in the regulator circuit. I don't have enough detail to
> tell what that circuit does but I suspect that the changes in gauge wiring
> have disturbed the ground resistance in the GEN light circuit and may be
> shutting down your alternator.
>
> --
> …PJ
> ’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe

various problems with my MX nytrex Mazda 6 February 7th 05 07:08 PM
Just bought my first vette!!!!! Questions... jameson Corvette 82 October 20th 04 07:17 PM
charging problems Eric Goforth Mazda 2 October 13th 04 02:48 PM
These problems normal for a 5-year-old Saturn? Philip Nasadowski Saturn 7 August 30th 04 03:55 AM