1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "Quadra Trac"

Old June 14th 09, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brad[_8_]

Default 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "Quadra Trac"

Hi Toyota,

This has a three position transfer lever as you described.

I will look for that tag you described.

Thanks, Brad

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:26:44 -0700 (PDT), in rec.autos.tech you wrote:

>On Jun 12, 7:42*am, (Brad) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> * *I recently bought a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "Quadra Trac" (4 wheel
>> drive system). *I read the OM, but did not find anything regarding putting
>> this vehicle into two wheel drive. * Note: *There is another version (not
>> mine) called "Select Trac" that allows you to set two wheel drive.
>>
>> * *I have to assume that I have no control over two or four wheel drive, which
>> means this is an "automatic" system. *I am aware of the display that shows
>> two or four wheel drive status, but it seems to be in four wheel drive much of
>> the time, when it really isn't needed.
>>
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * Thanks in advance, *Brad
>>
>> * Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
>> *be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

>I assume you have the 3 position lever for full time high, neutral,
>and full time low. The original Jeep ZJs (93 to 98 body style) had
>many variations of transfercase / differential combo. You can look at
>the rear vertical surface of your transfer case and you'll find a
>silver and red circular tag that will say New Process (possibly New
>Venture) and then a three digit number like 249. This is the best way
>to start your quest for info on Jeep 4WD systems. For sure if you
>have Quadra-Trac I (not called "I" until "II" came out) then you have
>a viscous coupling that helps push the front axle all the time. If
>there is significant fron/rear differential in speed then it will
>attempt to grab more solidly. It is there to allow normal around town
>full time 4WD driving without the severe binding of a conventional
>transfer case. The drawback is that it isn't particularly well suited
>for serious offroading. Later versions incorporated a gear lock in
>4WD low that would bypass the viscous slippage for maximum pulling
>power.
>
>Toyota MDT in MO

Jeep Grand cherokee "replacing a Body Control Module"? Pytha Jeep 2 October 10th 15 12:18 AM
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "Quadra Trac" Brad[_8_] Technology 1 June 12th 09 09:26 PM
Does my Cherokee have Quadra-Trac? Mash Jeep 26 October 25th 07 07:55 PM
Old scan reposts (mostly bad) 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Grand Wagoneer White Frt Qtr.jpg (Easynews) 249470 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 December 6th 06 01:44 PM
"Jeep offers Grand Cherokee in three varieties" Mike Jeep 4 September 7th 06 07:20 PM