1972 Ferrari 246 GT Le Mans - rossa corsa - fvl

Old May 8th 08, 06:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_3_] Paddy's Pig[_3_] is offline
Banned

Default 1972 Ferrari 246 GT Le Mans - rossa corsa - fvl

This is a special car. The 246 is not rare in its own right but this
particular one is 1 of only 3 ever built to this spec, called Europa. I
spent a half hour with the owner - a very good guy - and he showed me a lot
about the car that sets it apart from the regular 246. It is aluminum
skinned and has steel framed doors. The engine is a blue-printed 2.4L 4-cam
V6 fitted with coated headers. Also fitted with factory supplied Speedline
magnesium wheels. It has a Le Mans hood with 24 louvres. The standard 246
GT came with 6 louvres. The engine cover has 14 louvres. Current owner has
had the car since 1972 and also owns a yellow '73 model that I shot and
posted within the past couple of weeks.
--
Pat Durkin - Creating car pictures for all to enjoy except the one who
criticizes everything I do in the foulest most uncivil language possible,

Thank you for supporting this method of keeping my work out of the hands of
a loathesome scum who doesn't deserve it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1972 Ferrari 246 GT Le Mans - rossa corsa - fvl 2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	137451
Old May 9th 08, 03:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Raoul Duke[_2_]

On Wed, 7 May 2008 22:48:12 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" >
wrote:
>This is a special car. The 246 is not rare in its own right but this
>particular one is 1 of only 3 ever built to this spec, called Europa. I
>spent a half hour with the owner - a very good guy - and he showed me a lot
>about the car that sets it apart from the regular 246. It is aluminum
>skinned and has steel framed doors. The engine is a blue-printed 2.4L 4-cam
>V6 fitted with coated headers. Also fitted with factory supplied Speedline
>magnesium wheels. It has a Le Mans hood with 24 louvres. The standard 246
>GT came with 6 louvres. The engine cover has 14 louvres. Current owner has
>had the car since 1972 and also owns a yellow '73 model that I shot and
>posted within the past couple of weeks.

It's not a special factory Ferrari, it's a 'Kalifornia Kustom'
Ferrari.

Those wheels are not Speedlines, they're Cromadoras, as seen first on
the 308s, but with retro look paint.

The inlet front fender cloisonne scudettos (shields) are a
contemporary fashion, real racing Ferraris had decals, Dinos would
have neither. The real LeMans Dino was run by NART not Ferrari.

If it was truly an aluminum skinned version it would be worth far too
much to butcher the front fenders over fashion.

206s were aluminum, very early 246s had aluminum front hood, engine
cover and trunk lid.

Europa was a Lotus.

--
"Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"
Old May 9th 08, 04:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos

"Raoul Duke" > wrote in message

> It's not a special factory Ferrari, it's a 'Kalifornia Kustom' Ferrari.

Thank you Raoul. It may be.

> The inlet front fender cloisonne scudettos (shields) are a contemporary
> fashion, real racing Ferraris had decals,

Not unlike this one: ? (Same owner)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1973 Ferrari GTS - yellow - fvl small.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	137578
Old May 9th 08, 04:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos

"Paddy's Pig" > wrote in message

>> It's not a special factory Ferrari, it's a 'Kalifornia Kustom' Ferrari.

> Thank you Raoul. It may be.
>
>> The inlet front fender cloisonne scudettos (shields) are a contemporary
>> fashion, real racing Ferraris had decals,

> Not unlike this one: ? (Same owner)

But your point is made. I know what a standard 246 looks like. I agree it
doesn't include cloisonne scudettos on the fenders. Nor does it include 24
vents in the hood or whatever your call it, Le Mans style.

All those things could be "local extras".

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dino details.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	137579
Old May 9th 08, 05:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos

"Raoul Duke" > wrote in message

> The inlet front fender cloisonne scudettos (shields) are a contemporary
> fashion, real racing Ferraris had decals, Dinos would have neither.

As stated before you by Bert Kanters. And this issue is not in dispute. I
do not claim on behalf of the owner that everything he told me is true.
Frankly it looked funny to me too. (Looked pretty good, though ).
--
Pat Durkin

Old May 9th 08, 02:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Bert Kanters[_2_]

"Paddy's Pig" > schreef in bericht
> "Raoul Duke" > wrote in message
>

>> The inlet front fender cloisonne scudettos (shields) are a contemporary
>> fashion, real racing Ferraris had decals, Dinos would have neither.

> As stated before you by Bert Kanters. And this issue is not in dispute.
> do not claim on behalf of the owner that everything he told me is true.
> Frankly it looked funny to me too. (Looked pretty good, though ).
> --
> Pat Durkin

You can stick shields on any car with double sided tape or a kind of glue or
even magnetic but the fact that the owner went to the trouble to make an
indent in the fender for the shield, you wouldn't do that to a more or less
unique ex-Lemans racer. The written description of the onwer leads me
further to think this is a regular Dino with some nice modifications, he
only claims "Lemans style hood", true, and alu skinned doors, problably true
too then. And "Europa" means it is the Euro version, not the federalised US
version with anti smog and safety things.
O, and a Dino is a brand of it's own, but is you see the plate on the door
jamb for example it says, "build by Ferrari spa". In temporary ads it read
"the Dino, almost a Ferrari".
Ferrari owners sometimes get carried away in their enthusiasm, there was a
gentleman on ferrarichat.com who rebuild a burned F40 as a F40 Lemans, with
all the mods and insisted it was a F40LM which it was not.
Attached some pictures of my '80 308GTSi that looks like a GTO, has a GTO
front airdam and driving lights, GTO fenders, GTO rear panel, GTO mirrors
and soon a GTO rear hatch. But I don't call it a GTO and it still has the
308 rear badge. Currently under the knife again.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p21.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	137673  Click image for larger version

Name:	p04.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	137674  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09416.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	137676  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09322.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	137677
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p05.jpg (188.7 KB, 32 views)
Old May 9th 08, 04:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_3_] Paddy's Pig[_3_] is offline
Banned

"Bert Kanters" > wrote in message
b.home.nl...

> Attached some pictures of my '80 308GTSi that looks like a GTO, has a GTO
> front airdam and driving lights, GTO fenders, GTO rear panel, GTO mirrors
> and soon a GTO rear hatch. But I don't call it a GTO and it still has the
> 308 rear badge. Currently under the knife again.

Boy you weren't kidding when you said "modified" were you Bert!?

But it looks great. Thanks for the pics.

You say it's currently under the knife again. Breast implants I presume?
--
Pat Durkin )

Old May 9th 08, 06:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Bert Kanters[_2_]

"Paddy's Pig" > schreef in bericht
> "Bert Kanters" > wrote in message
> b.home.nl...
>
>> Attached some pictures of my '80 308GTSi that looks like a GTO, has a GTO
>> front airdam and driving lights, GTO fenders, GTO rear panel, GTO mirrors
>> and soon a GTO rear hatch. But I don't call it a GTO and it still has the
>> 308 rear badge. Currently under the knife again.

> Boy you weren't kidding when you said "modified" were you Bert!?
>
> But it looks great. Thanks for the pics.
>
> You say it's currently under the knife again. Breast implants I presume?
> --
> Pat Durkin )

More or less...getting wider fenders it was 60 mm wider as standard now 200
mm wider = GTO width, a rear hatch opening and front hood with vents like a
GTO and a 60 mm stretched wheelbase, not quite GTO wheelbase but in between
308 and GTO.
And of course the Supertrapp exhausts hehe.

Old May 10th 08, 05:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Raoul Duke[_2_]

On Thu, 8 May 2008 20:21:40 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" >
wrote:
>"Raoul Duke" > wrote in message
.. .

>> It's not a special factory Ferrari, it's a 'Kalifornia Kustom' Ferrari.

>Thank you Raoul. It may be.
>
>> The inlet front fender cloisonne scudettos (shields) are a contemporary
>> fashion, real racing Ferraris had decals,

>Not unlike this one: ? (Same owner)

That looks like a NART sticker, could be a regular Ferrari badge
sticker.

The Dino 246 shouldn't say Ferrari anywhere other than the door jamb
plate.

The SF shield only belongs on cars the Ferrari team raced, never the
246.

The NART sticker was used on the rear of Ferraris Luigi Chinetti's
North American Racing Team raced.

--
"Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"
Old May 10th 08, 05:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Raoul Duke[_2_]

On Thu, 8 May 2008 21:04:30 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" >
wrote:
>"Raoul Duke" > wrote in message
.. .

>> The inlet front fender cloisonne scudettos (shields) are a contemporary
>> fashion, real racing Ferraris had decals, Dinos would have neither.

>As stated before you by Bert Kanters.

It's not a bloody contest.

And you're wrong all the same.

--
"Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"