Modifying a BMW Z3

Old March 30th 07, 10:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rick Hunter

Default Modifying a BMW Z3

Greetings all

Does anyone have any idea as to modifying Bimmers?

FWIW, I have '97 Z3 1.9 4cyl. It's prob worth about $15K (Australian),
and I'm not in the position to upgrade to a newer car anytime soon, as
I'll likely be going overseas in the next 2 years.

Also, sad as it sounds, I've had it since new & have a lot of memories
with the old girl, so whilst the most sensible thing would be to throw
another $10K at it & trade up to the 2.8 6cyl... i've started thinking
about keeping her, and may be modifying it.

Performance-wise, it's a 136hp engine stock, so ideally I'd like to
get about 30% more power. Would this be achievable with simple mods
like a cold air intake, extractor/exhaust work, & ECU remapping?

I'm open to suggestions - I've read/heard a lot of differing
opinions on how much/little that can be done for this engine?

I'm not too keen on forced induction - I've believe there is a
supercharger kit for this engine - as it would create some insurance
hassles; but nonetheless may consider it

Handling wise I was interested in looking uprgrading the springs &
perhaps shock absorbers. I'd also like an opinion on the usefulness of
fitting sway bars/urethane bushes.

I'm not looking at taking the car to the track, just want it to handle
a bit better

Opinions/suggestions?

TIA

Old March 30th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TE Chea

| Does anyone have any idea as to modifying Bimmers?
add 4ws

Old April 3rd 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jackiesh

You can try putting on a 'BMW Cold Air Intake'
(http://www.coldairintakedirect.com/makes/bmw.html). I just had mine
last month. And, it’s absolutely great. :sunglasse

--
Jackiesh
Jackiesh's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=506802

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Modifying a BMW Z3 Rick Hunter General 2 March 30th 07 06:30 PM
Modifying a BMW Z3 Rick Hunter Driving 1 March 30th 07 05:17 PM
Modifying a VW for the postapokalyptic future .... Robin-Louis Clevis VW air cooled 16 December 29th 05 11:25 PM
Advice on buying new MazdaSpeed or modifying 93' Me Mazda 14 September 21st 04 12:16 AM
Modifying a TB setup with larger injectors??? AndyW 4x4 11 September 5th 04 06:41 PM