1996 Chrysler LeBaron - Weird starting issue.

Old March 5th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default 1996 Chrysler LeBaron - Weird starting issue.

Hi all,

My sister owns a 1996 Chrysler LeBaron which she's having trouble
starting.

When I first looked at the car I noticed that there was a lot of
corrosion on the negative terminal on the battery. Had her try
starting it straight up, and I heard the starter clicking but the
engine wasn't turning over. Cleaned off the terminal, hooked up a
portable jump starter, and attempted starting it. The engine cranked
over this time, but sounded really wimpy (like the starter wasn't
getting enough power).

I let it sit for a couple of minutes with the jumper attached, then
tried starting it again while pressing the gas pedal lightly. I got
it to start WITH my foot on the gas pedal. Kept running as long as my
foot was on the gas pedal, but AS SOON as I took my foot off of it the
engine stalled like it stopped getting fuel, and left a lingering
smell of gasoline. Tried again and same deal -- sounded like it was
having trouble starting but as long as my foot was on the gas pedal it
started, but as soon as I took my foot off of the pedal it stalled..

Anybody ever run into an issue like this? I'd be inclined to say it's
an issue with the fuel pump or relay, but it seems to be delivering
fuel as it's stinking up the air. Could it be something dumb like a
MAP sensor, or is it likely something more serious?

Thanks, and let me know if you have any more questions...

Old March 5th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dave Gower[_1_]

> wrote

> ... corrosion on the negative terminal on the battery. ...Cleaned off the
> terminal, hooked up a
> portable jump starter, and attempted starting it. The engine cranked
> over this time, but sounded really wimpy (like the starter wasn't
> getting enough power).
>
> I let it sit for a couple of minutes with the jumper attached, then
> tried starting it again while pressing the gas pedal lightly. I got
> it to start WITH my foot on the gas pedal. Kept running as long as my
> foot was on the gas pedal, but AS SOON as I took my foot off of it the
> engine stalled like it stopped getting fuel, and left a lingering
> smell of gasoline.

Probably more than one thing, starting with a weak battery but maybe also a
problem with bad plugs or wires, fuel pressure or injector. How long has it
been since this beast had a full tune-up i.e. new plugs and wires, injector
and intake cleaning, fuel and air filter, check the alternator voltage etc.
Is it showing any trouble codes?

Old March 20th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Mar 4, 11:34 pm, Steve B. > wrote:
> On 4 Mar 2007 18:44:22 -0800, wrote:
>
> >Hi all,

> >My sister owns a 1996 Chrysler LeBaron which she's having trouble
> >starting.

> If the battery voltage drops tooo low while you are cranking the
> computer can loose the learned settings. It should figure out how to
> idle again in short order.
>
> I would clean up those connections and have the battery / charging
> system tested. Hopefully it will be as simple as that grungy battery
> connection or a battery that has reached the end of its life.
>
> Steve B.

Right on! It just ended up being the battery.

Unfortunately her dipsh** boyfriend decided to fill her antifreeze
today, and forgot to put the radiator cap back on. My sister drove
the car without the cap on for about 15 miles... the coolant boiled
off and she overheated the engine. After finding her I filled it, and
had her wait before trying to restart it. It shaked like hell when
she did for about 15-30 seconds, but then rumbled back to life.
Seemed to run fine after a few minutes, but as she drove away I saw a
good stream of white smoke come out her tailpipe... I think I know
what that means. *ugh*

Thanks guys!