Serpentine Belt

Old February 14th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
simon[_2_]

Default Serpentine Belt

What is the range in which this should cost to be replaced? I think I
just got mauled on the cost and am pretty annoyed by it.

Old February 14th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
simon[_2_]

Old February 14th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve B.

On 14 Feb 2007 12:26:34 -0800, "simon" >
wrote:

>What is the range in which this should cost to be replaced? I think I
>just got mauled on the cost and am pretty annoyed by it.

Price depends on what make model and year of vehicle it is going on.

Steve B.
Old February 14th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"simon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> What is the range in which this should cost to be replaced? I think I
> just got mauled on the cost and am pretty annoyed by it.

We had to have one done on our Buick LeSabre a year or so ago. Since the
serpentine was routed through the motor supports*, I chose to have the
dealership
do it. They charged us about $75 plus parts. In this case, I bought the
serpentine
belt for about $27.

* You cannot replace this belt without unbolting a motor support, or
similar.

Old February 14th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike

"simon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> What is the range in which this should cost to be replaced? I think I
> just got mauled on the cost and am pretty annoyed by it.

And would this serpentine belt fit on anything in particular ????? Year,
make, model, engine size and accessories might be a good start.

Old February 15th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
« Paul »

simon wrote:

> What is the range in which this should cost to be replaced? I think I
> just got mauled on the cost and am pretty annoyed by it.

$170 USD
Old February 15th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

> wrote in message
et...

> "simon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> What is the range in which this should cost to be replaced? I
>> think I
>> just got mauled on the cost and am pretty annoyed by it.

> We had to have one done on our Buick LeSabre a year or so ago.
> Since the
> serpentine was routed through the motor supports*, I chose to have
> the
> dealership
> do it. They charged us about $75 plus parts. In this case, I
> bought the
> serpentine
> belt for about $27.

Have you checked on GMs recommended replacement interval for
serpentine belts? I have read they expect the belt to be good for 100k
miles and only recommend replacement sooner if the belt is cracking on
the back side (the "smooth" side).

A local resident decided he want to see how long a serpentine belt
would last on his F150. He kept a replacement belt and a breaker bar
in the truck so he was prepared when it finally failed. When he sold
the truck with nearly 200k miles, the new belt was still behind the
seat. I've owned two Ford Expeditions. For the first one I replaced
the serpentine belt at 100k miles - it seemed to be OK. For the second
one, I sold the truck with 94k miles, and it still had the original
belt. My sister 1997 Honda has 130k miles and the original serpentine
belt (but not the original timing belt - LOL).

Ed

Old February 15th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> Have you checked on GMs recommended replacement interval for
> serpentine belts? I have read they expect the belt to be good for 100k
> miles and only recommend replacement sooner if the belt is cracking on
> the back side (the "smooth" side).
>
> Ed

I havent seen them crack on the backside but have definitely seen the
crack and burnish on the grooved side. I change when this happens
regardless of GM guidance.

We just had to change the second one on the aforementioned Buick
but it was not the fault of the belt. The bearings in the idler pulley
scattered and wrapped the belt around everything it could contact...
but it didnt break. First idler pulley I have ever seen decompose
like this one.

Old February 16th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White

> wrote in message
. ..

> "C. E. White" > wrote in message
>
>> Have you checked on GMs recommended replacement interval for
>> serpentine belts? I have read they expect the belt to be good for 100k
>> miles and only recommend replacement sooner if the belt is cracking on
>> the back side (the "smooth" side).
>>
>> Ed

> I havent seen them crack on the backside but have definitely seen the
> crack and burnish on the grooved side. I change when this happens
> regardless of GM guidance.

GM actually say the cracks on the grooved side are not a problem. If they
worry you, next time buy one of the "pre-cracked" ones - I am talking about
the ones with lots of little segments instead of continuous groves.

Ed

Old February 17th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:03:37 -0500, "C. E. White"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
. net...

>> "simon" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> What is the range in which this should cost to be replaced? I
>>> think I
>>> just got mauled on the cost and am pretty annoyed by it.

>> We had to have one done on our Buick LeSabre a year or so ago.
>> Since the
>> serpentine was routed through the motor supports*, I chose to have
>> the
>> dealership
>> do it. They charged us about $75 plus parts. In this case, I
>> bought the
>> serpentine
>> belt for about $27.

>Have you checked on GMs recommended replacement interval for
>serpentine belts? I have read they expect the belt to be good for 100k
>miles and only recommend replacement sooner if the belt is cracking on
>the back side (the "smooth" side).
>
>A local resident decided he want to see how long a serpentine belt
>would last on his F150. He kept a replacement belt and a breaker bar
>in the truck so he was prepared when it finally failed. When he sold
>the truck with nearly 200k miles, the new belt was still behind the
>seat. I've owned two Ford Expeditions. For the first one I replaced
>the serpentine belt at 100k miles - it seemed to be OK. For the second
>one, I sold the truck with 94k miles, and it still had the original
>belt. My sister 1997 Honda has 130k miles and the original serpentine
>belt (but not the original timing belt - LOL).
>
>Ed

The serpentine belt I bought at AutoZone only lasted less then 20K
before flying apart.

serpentine belt ('87 YJ) bobvonbob Jeep 16 September 7th 06 02:37 PM
Serpentine Belt Help DM Ford Mustang 2 June 1st 06 10:14 PM
Serpentine belt replacement with *newest design* belt? Lawrence Glickman Technology 12 February 5th 06 11:19 PM
Serpentine Belt goes bad too soon. Sam Nickaby Technology 43 December 10th 05 04:49 AM
serpentine belt garycf Saturn 3 August 2nd 05 01:19 PM