Jaguar Rover Australia (JRA) 6x6 Long Range Patrol Vehicle (LRPV)

Old May 17th 04, 07:39 AM
samuel mcgregor

Default Jaguar Rover Australia (JRA) 6x6 Long Range Patrol Vehicle (LRPV)

"R. David Steele" /OMEGA> wrote in message
> http://www.mheaust.com.au/Aust/Walka...V/6x6lrsas.htm
>
> What is this vehicle? How tough is it? Can it do a better job
> than the Hummer?
>
> http://*******sinc.blogs.com/*******...auer_ligh.html

well, that is a 6x6 long-range patrol vehicle used by the SAS which are the
elite soldiers of the Australian army, like the marines i guess. they are
essentially a wider 6 wheeled LR defender with a 3.9 litre turbocharged
isuzu truck engine (4bdi is the non-turbo, i think 4btdi is the turbo or
something like that). i have never driven one but from the look of it it is
a bit of a beast and looks fairly capable.

Old May 17th 04, 12:12 PM
The Becketts

The project to produce the LRs for the Australian army was the Perentie
project. These are commonly called Perenties (BTW, a perentie is a large
Australian lizard - second only in size to a Komodo Dragon - and they grow to
about 2.5 metres long.). You'll note the front windscreens of the LRs are
taller and the roofline is different.

See also http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~lloyd...over/Perentie/
and http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~lloyd...over/Perentie/

Regards

Ron

Old May 17th 04, 12:12 PM
The Becketts

Old May 17th 04, 01:25 PM
JD

R. David Steele wrote:

> http://www.mheaust.com.au/Aust/Walka...V/6x6lrsas.htm
>
> What is this vehicle? How tough is it? Can it do a better job
> than the Hummer?
>
> http://*******sinc.blogs.com/*******...auer_ligh.html

The Perentie project provided the vehicles to replace the Series 2&3
Landrovers in the Australian Army. The project started about the beginning
of the 80s, with, I believe, the last deliveries in the early 1990s.
The LRPV pictured is one of the types covered in the project.
Basically they were :-
1. 4x4 one tonne GS and variants. This is basically a Landrover 110 soft
top, but the chassis is modified and galvanised. Engine is the Isuzu 4BD1,
a n/a 3.9l diesel (93BHP@3200), driving an LT95A gearbox.

2. 6x6 2tonne. This is an extensively modified 110. The chassis is special
and is about a foot wider than the standard 110, as is the track. The third
axle is driven by the PTO on the LT95 designed for the powered trailer on
the 101. The prop shaft to it has a centre bearing on the top of the second
axle, and the diff on the third axle is on the right. Diffs on the 6x6 are
4.7:1, and the two rear axles are Rover not Salisbury. Rear suspension is
by interconnected leaf springs (standard S3) with the rocking beam
connecting the springs allowing extreme articulation.
Engine is the Isuzu 4BD1T (121BHP @ 3100), a turbocharged version of the
engine fitted to the 4x4. The cab is wider and higher than on the 4x4.
The major variants a-
a) The LRPV pictured in your reference.
b) General Service, with cab and flat top tray having a canvas top and side
seats.
c) Ambulance

A 6x6 was sold to the civilian market in very limited quantities in the mid
eighties. This was generally similar to the military version except that it
had a standard width chassis and standard cab. It came only as cab/chassis,
and although most had a tray body, I have seen at least one van body.
All diesel 110s sold in Australia before the introduction of the Defender
had the Isuzu engines, n/a in the 4x4 and the turbo in the 6x6. The 6x6 was
available only with the diesel, although 4x4s were also sold as v8s.

For further information do a search on "perentie"
JD

Old May 17th 04, 01:25 PM
JD