Any word on US versions of the diesel Jeep Liberty or diesel Land Rover Discovery?

Old January 16th 04, 06:58 PM
ColonelTupperware

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:24:27 -0500, Bret Chase >
employed a troop of monkeys to hit keyboards to produce:

>>:|
>>:|No idea of the introduction to the US though.
>>:|Why would you want a diesel in the US?
>>:|Doesn't gasoline cost less than the stuff you call beer? ;-)

>gas is waaaaaaaaay cheaper than beer.... a gal (128 Oz) of gas here
>(Maine, USA) is currently $1.60US... a 12 (144 Oz) pack of cheap
>domestic beer is about $7.99. diesel has been cheaper than gas for
>the last couple of years... it's price has remained rock solid while
>gas prices do the yo-yo.

Sheesh
Around my neck of the woods, draught beer (real ale not chemicalager)
is typically around £2 a pint and Petrol and Diesel is about 80p /
litre or about 45p a pint. That's about a quarter of the price of
beer.
There are more expensive beers of course, but somewhere near £2 will
get you a pint of session bitter in most places.

I cant work out your quantities in ounces because you use different
ounces and gallons to us. How much is your ordinary bar draft beer a
US gallon?

--
Russ
Jeep Technician and Big Hairy Biker
Old January 16th 04, 07:27 PM
QrizB

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:58:10 +0000, ColonelTupperware
> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:24:27 -0500, Bret Chase >
>employed a troop of monkeys to hit keyboards to produce:
>
>>>:|
>>>:|No idea of the introduction to the US though.
>>>:|Why would you want a diesel in the US?
>>>:|Doesn't gasoline cost less than the stuff you call beer? ;-)

>>gas is waaaaaaaaay cheaper than beer.... a gal (128 Oz) of gas here
>>(Maine, USA) is currently $1.60US... a 12 (144 Oz) pack of cheap
>>domestic beer is about $7.99. diesel has been cheaper than gas for
>>the last couple of years... it's price has remained rock solid while
>>gas prices do the yo-yo.
>>

>Sheesh
>Around my neck of the woods, draught beer (real ale not chemicalager)
>is typically around £2 a pint and Petrol and Diesel is about 80p /
>litre or about 45p a pint. That's about a quarter of the price of
>beer.
>There are more expensive beers of course, but somewhere near £2 will
>get you a pint of session bitter in most places.
>
>I cant work out your quantities in ounces because you use different
>ounces and gallons to us. How much is your ordinary bar draft beer a
>US gallon?

It's a tolerable approximation to treat a US fluid ounce as being the
same as a UK one. The big difference is that there's 16 fl. oz. in a
US pint, and 20 in a proper one.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old January 16th 04, 07:27 PM
QrizB

Old January 17th 04, 02:25 AM
rnf2

A pint of Draught beer ath the local here costs $3.50 NZD, or about a pound
and twenty P sterling. a 750ml bottle costs $5 NZD.

Diesel is about 65c a litre. or 20 p

Petrol: 91 oct is $1.05, 96 oct is a bit more, $1.17 per litre.

how many litres per gallon? we're metric only here.

rhys

"ColonelTupperware" > wrote

Old January 17th 04, 02:25 AM
rnf2

Old January 17th 04, 04:24 AM
Bret Chase

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:25:18 +1300, "rnf2" >
wrote:

>:|A pint of Draught beer ath the local here costs $3.50 NZD, or about a pound
>:|and twenty P sterling. a 750ml bottle costs $5 NZD.
>:|
>:|Diesel is about 65c a litre. or 20 p
>:|
>:|Petrol: 91 oct is $1.05, 96 oct is a bit more, $1.17 per litre.
>:|
>:|how many litres per gallon? we're metric only here.
>:|
>:|rhys

4 quarts per gal... a liter is only slightly larger than a quart. How
does the NZD convert to USD?

-Bret

Old January 17th 04, 04:24 AM
Bret Chase

Old January 18th 04, 02:08 AM
rnf2

"Chris Phillipo" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >, says...
> > A pint of Draught beer ath the local here costs $3.50 NZD, or about a

pound
> > and twenty P sterling. a 750ml bottle costs $5 NZD.
> >
> > Diesel is about 65c a litre. or 20 p
> >
> > Petrol: 91 oct is $1.05, 96 oct is a bit more, $1.17 per litre.
> >
> > how many litres per gallon? we're metric only here.
> >
> > rhys
> >

> Gas is at 81.9 cents/liter here where as diesel is 76.9, so it takes a
> long time for a diesel to pay for itself mileage wise in Canada when
> it's a $4000-$6000 option on those trucks you can get a diesel motor in.
> --

Thats Expensive, the AA New car price comparasions are available at
www.nzaa.co.nz

The Land rover Freelander for example comes in a 4 cyl 2L turbo diesel and a
2.5L V6 for exactly the same price. $57.490NZD for the auto. the manual is
only available as a diesel for 2K less. the Disco SE Td5 2.5L diesel and
the 4L V8 petrol are the same price at $69,500 NZD, petrol and diesel HSEs
are $90,000 NZD. only the SE Td5 is available as a manual for 4K less.
Petrol Range rovers cost more than diesel range rovers.

The BMW 330i SE Petrol is $100,900NZD while the 330D SE Diesel is
$98,900NZD.

Toyota Hilux 4x2 SR5 manual D/cab petrol is $40,800NZD while the diesel is
$40,000
The same in 4x4 are both $51,500

Landcruiser Prado RV, Diesel and Petrol are the same price

theres a big range of vehicles with diesels at the same or lower price...

rhys

Old January 18th 04, 02:08 AM
rnf2

Old January 18th 04, 03:33 AM
rnf2

"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
> rnf2 > wrote:
>
> > > Or even easier, the jag 4.2 supercharged version can easily put out

500hp
> > > with a change of chip. . . . . ;-)
> > >
> > > --

> > Why not go the whole hog with the V12?

> Because the 4.2 V8 has better fuel economy and more oomph than the V12.
> The V12 was a lovely engine, still is, but it's no match for the AJV8.
> Not unless it's tuned up "quite a bit" in which case the 6.0 V12 can
> produce over 700bhp.
>
> However in standard form, the supercharged V8 is the mutts nutts. Should
> be easy to retrofit a supercharger to V8 Land Rover products in the near
> future and I expect to see Overfinch do exactly that.
>
> --

I've seen Range rovers here in NZ re-engined with Australian Holden V6 3.8L
engines. they'll take a supercharger without modification. Not sure the
output, but the Holden cars go fast! a 3.8L SS Berlina maxes over 290K on a
track.

rhys