Anyone got any thoughts on PS3/GT5?

Old December 31st 10, 09:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher's Scrotum

Default Anyone got any thoughts on PS3/GT5?

I'm glad you like it and I agree with pretty much everything you say,
particularly about the Ring.

I, too, just don't feel all that connected to what the car is doing, unlike
in the MX5 of iRacing, for example.

I could forgive GT5 all of its minor flaws if it only had a damage model
worth mentioning. This one aspect destroys the racing simulator side for me
but does leave a fun hotlapping game that I really enjoy.

Old January 1st 11, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(David G Fisher's Scrotum) wrote:

> I, too, just don't feel all that connected to what the car is
> doing, unlike in the MX5 of iRacing, for example.

iRacing remains, for me, the most satisfying sim cockpit to sit in. But after 2.5
years I'm no closer to being satisfied by the service that great code is trapped in.
It's turned into much more of an addiction for me than a hobby. :-)

Which is why I've fought my way through the Spa release and a couple of offers to
stop spending and try to go cold turkey at the end of the month.

No doubt this will be as successful in the long term as all my other attempts to
find a way to make iRacing work for me. They'll probably announce a proper MX-5
series the day before my sub runs out and I'll be tempted back down the rabbit hole
again. :->

I had hope rF2 would have arrived by now to help ease the transition, but NKPro
should keep my serious sim head exercised for a while... especially if that "Xmas
update" turns up soonish.

> I could forgive GT5 all of its minor flaws if it only had a damage
> model worth mentioning.

This isn't a big problem for me. In iRacing I consider even a x1 a (personal)
defeat and always aspire to get no incidents at all in any race or even testing
session. So in GT5 if I make contact with anything I don't need visual or handling
damage because I'm harder on myself than any sim can be. Besides, the way the AI
drives in GT5 you'd never finish a race if there was significant damage. :-)

I did some more GT5 yesterday and met a few more frustrations. It's started to
remind me of my early days at iRacing, when whenever I try to join a race it tells
me I have to buy something. But that's ok. I just end up back at the Ring in my
Merc for a while. I can think of worse fates!

Andrew McP
Old January 1st 11, 12:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim O[_3_]

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 03:25 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

[snip]

>> I could forgive GT5 all of its minor flaws if it only had a damage
>> model worth mentioning.

>This isn't a big problem for me. In iRacing I consider even a x1 a (personal)
>defeat and always aspire to get no incidents at all in any race or even testing
>session. So in GT5 if I make contact with anything I don't need visual or handling
>damage because I'm harder on myself than any sim can be. Besides, the way the AI
>drives in GT5 you'd never finish a race if there was significant damage. :-)

I stress out about racing clean in multiplayer racing sims/games,
nearly to the point where it can remove the fun for me. I'd probably
be a neurotic mess in iRacing.

When I'm playing something like GT5 offline and find that I can
exploit a weakness, I can't help but do it. I wind up taking advantage
of how the AI slows too much for the first corner, go in way too hot
then bounce off of them in the apex to keep me from going off the
track. This slows them down and makes me faster. Once I'm in front, I
just block as best I can. Its horrible, because its the perfect
example of doing everything the wrong way to great success.

You blame yourself for that behavior, I blame the game for letting me
get away with it, and further enabling, no, ENCOURAGING bad habits by
starting me mid-pack for every race regardless of my performance.
If it'd put me on the Pole for gold cupping every race, I wouldn't be
able to do that. But it does -and so do I.

Maybe it'd be different with a wheel. I'm a total ham fist with the
controller. I tried playing a couple first person shooters on the
consoles and hated the experience so bad compared to mouse and keys
that I can't even imagine why anyone would choose to play that way
short of pure ignorance. It feels like driving a tank. LOL.

If my old red-bodied Logitech MOMO would just break on its own, I
could probably justify getting the G27 that will work on the PC and
PS3... Then I'm back to trying to rig up some setup to play it on my
TV. The Playstation still pulls heaviest duty as a BluRay/Netflix
player, so the wife wouldn't be happy with it coming into the computer
room!

Where I'm gonna get screwed is when I finally work up the nerve to
race online. I'll try to race clean, be slow as hell and its going to
be an all-around awful experience. Will probably have a bunch of 15
year old creeps yelling "GET OUT OF THE WAY FAGGOT!" the whole race,
too.

In summation, these are all problems with the game, you see! LOL.

Tim
Old January 2nd 11, 08:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(Tim O) wrote:

> I stress out about racing clean in multiplayer racing sims/games,
> nearly to the point where it can remove the fun for me. I'd probably
> be a neurotic mess in iRacing.

Welcome to my world. ;-)

> Maybe it'd be different with a wheel. I'm a total ham fist
> with the controller.

I would never have bought the PS3 if my wheel didn't work with it. I really can't
imagine driving with a controller... though I guess with all the aids dialled up it
must be fairly pleasant otherwise so people people wouldn't do it.

> Where I'm gonna get screwed is when I finally work up the nerve
> to race online. I'll try to race clean, be slow as hell and its
> going to be an all-around awful experience. Will probably have
> a bunch of 15 year old creeps yelling "GET OUT OF THE WAY
> FAGGOT!" the whole race, too.

It can be like that in iRacing too. :-) Not often though, admittedly. But I know
exactly what you mean, and that's why I've always preferred racing AI to people.
Less stress, less drama, and I suppose much less rewarding too. But when you're as
slow as I tend to be the only rewards are in my imagination anyway. :->

Andrew McP

Old January 2nd 11, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

>On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 06:00:04 -0500, Tim O > wrote:
>I stress out about racing clean in multiplayer racing sims/games,
>nearly to the point where it can remove the fun for me. I'd probably
>be a neurotic mess in iRacing.
>When I'm playing something like GT5 offline and find that I can
>exploit a weakness, I can't help but do it. I wind up taking advantage
>of how the AI slows too much for the first corner, go in way too hot
>then bounce off of them in the apex to keep me from going off the
>track. This slows them down and makes me faster. Once I'm in front, I
>just block as best I can. Its horrible, because its the perfect
>example of doing everything the wrong way to great success.
>Where I'm gonna get screwed is when I finally work up the nerve to
>race online. I'll try to race clean, be slow as hell and its going to
>be an all-around awful experience. Will probably have a bunch of 15
>year old creeps yelling "GET OUT OF THE WAY FAGGOT!" the whole race,
>too.
>Tim

Tim - You decribe how online racing has always been on any given day
on open servers for any race sim. It's always been the biggest reason
open, unrestricted servers usually suck. There is no penalty for
smashing your way to the front, chopping corners, and doing other
infantile things to "win". IMO iRacing, though certainly not perfect,
is the closest thing to real world you will get. On a real racetrack
with real cars we do everything in our power to avoid ANY contact, and
that's what iRacing dictates. As time goes on and the service
improves, i'm sure they will tweak it so minor rubbing isn't an issue
(may even be there now, i've been away) as it isn't in most RL series.
The tracks are darn near perfect, the damage model is very good and
always improving, the onlinecode is the best available, etc. etc. The
only reason not to play is funds, but for $150 per year or so (that
includes buying a couple extra cars and tracks) I don't see cost as an
issue..

No vested interest in iRacing though I do have a decal on my 911 race
car.. :-)

GR
Old January 2nd 11, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jwilson54[_2_]

On 1/2/2011 10:23 AM, GaryR wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 06:00:04 -0500, Tim > wrote:
>> I stress out about racing clean in multiplayer racing sims/games,
>> nearly to the point where it can remove the fun for me. I'd probably
>> be a neurotic mess in iRacing.
>> When I'm playing something like GT5 offline and find that I can
>> exploit a weakness, I can't help but do it. I wind up taking advantage
>> of how the AI slows too much for the first corner, go in way too hot
>> then bounce off of them in the apex to keep me from going off the
>> track. This slows them down and makes me faster. Once I'm in front, I
>> just block as best I can. Its horrible, because its the perfect
>> example of doing everything the wrong way to great success.
>> Where I'm gonna get screwed is when I finally work up the nerve to
>> race online. I'll try to race clean, be slow as hell and its going to
>> be an all-around awful experience. Will probably have a bunch of 15
>> year old creeps yelling "GET OUT OF THE WAY FAGGOT!" the whole race,
>> too.
>> Tim

> Tim - You decribe how online racing has always been on any given day
> on open servers for any race sim. It's always been the biggest reason
> open, unrestricted servers usually suck. There is no penalty for
> smashing your way to the front, chopping corners, and doing other
> infantile things to "win". IMO iRacing, though certainly not perfect,
> is the closest thing to real world you will get. On a real racetrack
> with real cars we do everything in our power to avoid ANY contact, and
> that's what iRacing dictates. As time goes on and the service
> improves, i'm sure they will tweak it so minor rubbing isn't an issue
> (may even be there now, i've been away) as it isn't in most RL series.
> The tracks are darn near perfect, the damage model is very good and
> always improving, the onlinecode is the best available, etc. etc. The
> only reason not to play is funds, but for $150 per year or so (that
> includes buying a couple extra cars and tracks) I don't see cost as an
> issue..
>
> No vested interest in iRacing though I do have a decal on my 911 race
> car.. :-)
>
> GR

The close racing and rubbing without a major warp crash is already
available in the ARCA sim.Thats one of the major reasons I switched from 03.
Old January 3rd 11, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim O[_3_]

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 10:23:18 -0500, GaryR >
wrote:

>>On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 06:00:04 -0500, Tim O > wrote:
>>I stress out about racing clean in multiplayer racing sims/games,
>>nearly to the point where it can remove the fun for me. I'd probably
>>be a neurotic mess in iRacing.
>>When I'm playing something like GT5 offline and find that I can
>>exploit a weakness, I can't help but do it. I wind up taking advantage
>>of how the AI slows too much for the first corner, go in way too hot
>>then bounce off of them in the apex to keep me from going off the
>>track. This slows them down and makes me faster. Once I'm in front, I
>>just block as best I can. Its horrible, because its the perfect
>>example of doing everything the wrong way to great success.
>>Where I'm gonna get screwed is when I finally work up the nerve to
>>race online. I'll try to race clean, be slow as hell and its going to
>>be an all-around awful experience. Will probably have a bunch of 15
>>year old creeps yelling "GET OUT OF THE WAY FAGGOT!" the whole race,
>>too.
>>Tim

>Tim - You decribe how online racing has always been on any given day
>on open servers for any race sim. It's always been the biggest reason
>open, unrestricted servers usually suck. There is no penalty for
>smashing your way to the front, chopping corners, and doing other
>infantile things to "win". IMO iRacing, though certainly not perfect,
>is the closest thing to real world you will get. On a real racetrack
>with real cars we do everything in our power to avoid ANY contact, and
>that's what iRacing dictates. As time goes on and the service
>improves, i'm sure they will tweak it so minor rubbing isn't an issue
>(may even be there now, i've been away) as it isn't in most RL series.
>The tracks are darn near perfect, the damage model is very good and
>always improving, the onlinecode is the best available, etc. etc. The
>only reason not to play is funds, but for $150 per year or so (that
>includes buying a couple extra cars and tracks) I don't see cost as an
>issue..
>
>No vested interest in iRacing though I do have a decal on my 911 race
>car.. :-)
>
>GR

2 years ago or so in Live For Speed is probably the last time I spent
any substantial time in a racing sim. That was actually a pretty
polite group once you found the regulars.

Might subscribe to iRacing in the future. Subscription seems
reasonable and fee's of any type probably help to keep out the rabble.
Lack of time is the main hurdle for me on anything by-the-month.

I actually entered the hop lapping online contest in GT5 today. I'm
abysmally slow with the gamepad, but I had a lot of fun with it. This
really made me want to snag a G27. I can always put the old MOMO on
the second machine for LAN games.

Tim
Old January 5th 11, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
pjgtech[_2_]

> After a lot of dithering and indecision, I achieved critical "oh f*ck it!" mass
> recently, and my PS3 came yesterday. And I totally agreed too until I hit the
> Nordschleife for the first time in the AMG Challenge in an old Merc. Then I
> genuinely stopped caring. This is, without doubt IMO, the best version of the 'Ring
> to appear in electronic form so far. The track just looks right... the proportions
> match those you expect from real world footage in a very, very immersive way.

Welcome to the world of consoles.... 8-)

I love my PS3, almost as much as my PC! It provides a good BluRay
player (and DVD and CD of course), looks cool, can be used as a media
server, photos, videos, music, etc, built in web access, built in BBC
iPlayer etc, and now also LoveFilm access......

> 1) GT5 is a *great* game.

I agree, its a great game, but not a great sim, although I do think it
can be a good sim, with a wheel, in a good (premium) car, on a good
track (eg: the Ring, etc). Hmm, I find the Top Gear track strangely
addictive too....

8-)

Old January 7th 11, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(pjgtech) wrote:

> Welcome to the world of consoles.... 8-)

I must admit I'm beginning to understand why people own these things. The PS3 (slim)
is ridiculously quiet, pretty slick in operation, and quick & painless to use.
However until I can play games with a mouse plugged in I will continue to cry
regularly. My PS3 shares one of my PC monitors, so I tend to forget I'm using the
PS3. I am getting a little sick of hitting escape on my keyboard or wiggling my
mouse and wondering why it didn't work. :-)

I'm also getting a little tired of the fact the G25's FFB isn't adjustable. In
other sims I have FFB turned to minimum while still giving good feedback, but in
GT5 I'm getting a workout. And while that only means sore wrists for me, it means
my G25's longevity is going to suffer.

Still, it's worth the strain. GT5 is a bit like NFS:Shift in that it has a puzzling
combination of complete horrors to drive, and a few really effing amazingly
convincing experiences. I swear I have never felt better FFB than when belting
round the Ring and getting a fast corner slightly wrong. Sometimes the way a wheel
suddenly gets traction back really catches me by surprise (in a very, very good
way!)

But at other times it's less convincing. Low speed manoeuvres feel lifeless, and
low speed contact with other vehicles feels nowhere near convincing, but high speed
contact does... it's as if there's a threshold above which reality kicks in. :-)
But even when the "feel" isn't quite right, the replay shows convincing physics and
the cars seems to act realistically.... especially when getting a bit of a tank
slapper on. I don't think I've ever had to fight so hard to recover (though this
might just be the FFB making it both more realistic and harder).

I also desperately need a brake bias adjustment of some sort. The Top Gear Elise
challenge, in particular, is diabolically hard to do even with plenty of assists on!
The various upgrade options can really work wonders, but I still need my inability
to cope with much oversteer dialled out.

Overall GT5 is definitely a game (and a surprisingly compelling one), but inside it
is a superb sim experience trying to get out. I am really hoping that the updates
in the pipeline make it a bit easier to liberate that hardcore experience. If not,
at least I've got access to a variety of satisfying Nordschleife options now. I
just need to get to level 21 before that Nascar at the Ring Seasonal disappears.
That should be a laugh. So should trying it in one of the advanced karts.

While in Ring mode, I swear the most difficult sim racing challenge I have ever
faced is driving the Ring in the rain. It's embarrassingly, horrifyingly hard for
me (in the AMG Challenge). But at the same time it feels hard in a good way...
though making me do it in near darkness as well is just being sadistic!

It's also turning me into a masochist. :-)

Andrew McP
Old January 9th 11, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

> I'm also getting a little tired of the fact the G25's FFB isn't
> adjustable.

Correction, it is. I found a setting I'd missed and it's now on 1 instead of 4. And
it is absolutely f*cking superb now! Light at low speeds, and just firm enough at
high.

It's still not brilliant in all cars at all tracks, all the time, but lapping the
Ring in the Intermediate AMG Challenge is now a sublime sim experience. The weather
is overcast, the colours muted, the mood bleak, but the handling.... this one car
and track was easily, *easily* worth the week's wages it cost to experience. I must
have put already put 10 hours into this one part of GT5 alone. Last night I was
even anticipating getting back from work and being able to fire it up again... and
that's something which hasn't happened to me for a long time.

Maybe that just shows how sad my life is, but maybe it also says something about
GT5. Of course the rest of GT5 is often annoying, often entertaining, sim-lite
clutter which you need to get through to unlock the best bits. But it really is
worth it.

Of course I said something similar about NFS:Shift's Ring experience, so I have a
record of poor judgement. But GT5 is way better than that. The track is perfectly
re-created, and it feels as well mapped as any iRacing track I've ever lumbered
round.

Of course it's important to say that most of the GT5 tracks don't feel anything
like as good as this, and a lot of the cars are really, really unsatisfying to
drive. But somebody put their heart and soul into modelling this experience, and it
shows in a big way.

Any Nordschleife enthusiast is genuinely missing out if they haven't tried this. I
promise. Honest!

Andrew McP... sponsored by Sony. ;-)