gm universal joints

Old January 15th 04, 12:32 AM
Terrence

Default gm universal joints

just finished installing U-joints on my 1990 gm half-ton 4x4,automatic
transmission. First went to general motors dealer bought the
joints(guaranteed to be the right ones, would not fit, needed about an
eight inche more to get the clips in, took the yolk back to the parts
man who told me it definitly was the right one and they would be happy
to press them in with their " special machine",and said I must be too
inexperienced putting them in, cause they do it everyday with no
problems I told what good would that be if they would be to snug and
would wear out to quick. Anyways got sick of arguing went across the
street to bumper to bumper but two for half the price went home and
had them installed and back on the truck in 1 hour. Now I am thinking
how many people take their vehicle in to GM and have this done for
them, and if these U-joints are all oversize, what other problems is
it causing to the vehicle besides wearing joints out every 30,000
miles. These were just replaced about 25,000 miles ago, just about
10,000 miles before my transmission died. Don't know if the U-joints
were the cause or just junky trannys.
Terrrence
Old January 15th 04, 01:38 AM
The Ancient One

"Terrence" > wrote in message
om...
> just finished installing U-joints on my 1990 gm half-ton 4x4,automatic
> transmission. First went to general motors dealer bought the
> joints(guaranteed to be the right ones, would not fit, needed about an
> eight inche more to get the clips in, took the yolk back to the parts
> man who told me it definitly was the right one and they would be happy
> to press them in with their " special machine",and said I must be too
> inexperienced putting them in, cause they do it everyday with no
> problems I told what good would that be if they would be to snug and
> would wear out to quick. Anyways got sick of arguing went across the
> street to bumper to bumper but two for half the price went home and
> had them installed and back on the truck in 1 hour. Now I am thinking
> how many people take their vehicle in to GM and have this done for
> them, and if these U-joints are all oversize, what other problems is
> it causing to the vehicle besides wearing joints out every 30,000
> miles. These were just replaced about 25,000 miles ago, just about
> 10,000 miles before my transmission died. Don't know if the U-joints
> were the cause or just junky trannys.
> Terrrence

Why would anyone go to the dealer for the u-joints in the first place? I
only buy parts from the dealer that I can't buy anywhere else, and there
aren't many of those.

Old January 15th 04, 01:38 AM
The Ancient One

om...

Old January 15th 04, 02:05 AM
Eugene

Terrence wrote:

> just finished installing U-joints on my 1990 gm half-ton 4x4,automatic
> transmission. First went to general motors dealer bought the
> joints(guaranteed to be the right ones, would not fit, needed about an
> eight inche more to get the clips in, took the yolk back to the parts
> man who told me it definitly was the right one and they would be happy
> to press them in with their " special machine",and said I must be too
> inexperienced putting them in, cause they do it everyday with no
> problems I told what good would that be if they would be to snug and
> would wear out to quick. Anyways got sick of arguing went across the
> street to bumper to bumper but two for half the price went home and
> had them installed and back on the truck in 1 hour. Now I am thinking
> how many people take their vehicle in to GM and have this done for
> them, and if these U-joints are all oversize, what other problems is
> it causing to the vehicle besides wearing joints out every 30,000
> miles. These were just replaced about 25,000 miles ago, just about
> 10,000 miles before my transmission died. Don't know if the U-joints
> were the cause or just junky trannys.
> Terrrence

I've replaced the joints in my 88 and 2000 and both times I ended up bending
the ears of the joint so they were too tight for me to install. I had to
go to a place and have the shaft fixed and balanced. I think my problem
was getting them too hot when I tried to melt the nylon from the original
factory joints.

Old January 15th 04, 02:05 AM
Eugene

Old January 21st 04, 11:55 PM
Terrence

Eugene > wrote in message >...
> Terrence wrote:
>
> > just finished installing U-joints on my 1990 gm half-ton 4x4,automatic
> > transmission. First went to general motors dealer bought the
> > joints(guaranteed to be the right ones, would not fit, needed about an
> > eight inche more to get the clips in, took the yolk back to the parts
> > man who told me it definitly was the right one and they would be happy
> > to press them in with their " special machine",and said I must be too
> > inexperienced putting them in, cause they do it everyday with no
> > problems I told what good would that be if they would be to snug and
> > would wear out to quick. Anyways got sick of arguing went across the
> > street to bumper to bumper but two for half the price went home and
> > had them installed and back on the truck in 1 hour. Now I am thinking
> > how many people take their vehicle in to GM and have this done for
> > them, and if these U-joints are all oversize, what other problems is
> > it causing to the vehicle besides wearing joints out every 30,000
> > miles. These were just replaced about 25,000 miles ago, just about
> > 10,000 miles before my transmission died. Don't know if the U-joints
> > were the cause or just junky trannys.
> > Terrrence

> I've replaced the joints in my 88 and 2000 and both times I ended up bending
> the ears of the joint so they were too tight for me to install. I had to
> go to a place and have the shaft fixed and balanced. I think my problem
> was getting them too hot when I tried to melt the nylon from the original
> factory joints.

I see its not just an isolated problem
took the ones I bought back to GM today partsman had a different
attitude and did not give me a hassle
Old January 21st 04, 11:55 PM
Terrence

1995 325is RyMal BMW 13 November 5th 04 07:16 PM
75 front wheel bearings and ball joints Catman Alfa Romeo 2 October 27th 04 06:55 AM