49 Chrysler with no compression

Old September 5th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Default 49 Chrysler with no compression

Doug wrote:

> with a special L-Head valve spring compressor (looks
> like a giant tweezer),

When I was first learning to tinker with engines and rebuilding a
one-lung Kohler back in the early 70s, my Dad dug out his valve-spring
compressor like you describe. He told me you had to have a "regular"
valve spring compressor for side-valve engines and couldn't use the
"special kind for overhead valve engines." :-)

compress the valve springs until the keepers
> are removed and then each assembly would easily come apart. The valve
> is then extracted from the top of the engine , the springs are removed
> from the side cover cavity and away you go....

That's my recollection too- you cannot get the springs out unless you
lift the valves to get the stems up high enough to let the springs
slide out. To install, you have to hold the compressed spring "stack"
(with retainer and any shim needed) in place and drop the valve through
it, stick the keepers on the stem (thick grease works great) and
carefully release the spring comprssor so that the retainer captures the
keepers.

> I even used the suction cup type hand valve twirlers,Prussian blue and
> grinding compound to resurface the valve seats.

Yep, that Kohler was the first and last time I ever did that job, too.
With the advent of hardened valve seats and 3-angle valve jobs, grinding
just kinda faded into the sunset.

Old September 6th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob AZ

On Sep 5, 12:16?am, Doug <sparks06524nos...@

The valve
> is then extracted compress the valve springs until the keepers
> are removed and from the top of the engine ,

Doug and et al

And the keepers start their journey to the oil pan unless the oil drip
passages/holes are blocked. Then the oil pan and probably the engine
comes out for sure!

If the OP is going to keep this car it is time to pull the engine and
get on with things.

Bob AZ

Old September 6th 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

On Sep 5, 8:33 pm, Bob AZ > wrote:
> On Sep 5, 12:16?am, Doug <sparks06524nos...@
>
> The valve
>
> > is then extracted compress the valve springs until the keepers
> > are removed and from the top of the engine ,

> Doug and et al
>
> And the keepers start their journey to the oil pan unless the oil drip
> passages/holes are blocked. Then the oil pan and probably the engine
> comes out for sure!

yeah of course, i didn't read the Motor's manual until after I dropped
the collet into the engine. It says plainly to put a rag over the
holes.

> If the OP is going to keep this car it is time to pull the engine and
> get on with things.

.......... you make it sound like flathead sixes are easily found
nowadays.. I've only seen a couple so far for sale on the
internet... none really seemed like anything to woohoo about. The
best lead so far is a 218 from a truck in Baltimore, but that's a bit
far for right now.

Old September 6th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Nza wrote:

> On Sep 5, 8:33 pm, Bob AZ > wrote:
>
>>On Sep 5, 12:16?am, Doug <sparks06524nos...@
>>
>>The valve
>>

>>>is then extracted compress the valve springs until the keepers
>>>are removed and from the top of the engine ,

>>Doug and et al
>>
>>And the keepers start their journey to the oil pan unless the oil drip
>>passages/holes are blocked. Then the oil pan and probably the engine
>>comes out for sure!

> yeah of course, i didn't read the Motor's manual until after I dropped
> the collet into the engine. It says plainly to put a rag over the
> holes.
>

>>If the OP is going to keep this car it is time to pull the engine and
>>get on with things.
>>

> ......... you make it sound like flathead sixes are easily found
> nowadays.. I've only seen a couple so far for sale on the
> internet... none really seemed like anything to woohoo about. The
> best lead so far is a 218 from a truck in Baltimore, but that's a bit
> far for right now.

Just rebuild what you've got. The average corner machine shop that does
50 small-block Shivvies a week may not want to do it, but its still a
routinely serviced engine. LOTS of old industrial equipment is still
running around with Chrysler flathead power, not to mention collectors'
cars.

Old September 9th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

Steve,

You are correct... I know you didn't need me to tell you this, but I
realised it after reading your 'article'... lol The car has been
sitting for nearly 30 years already, so i definitely shouldn't expect
it to be a fast restoration.

I just need to get it going well enough (and safely enough) to ride
around my 87 year old grand-dad ... he's really looking forward to
riding in it again..

Old September 9th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

meant to say this in the last post, but ..

guess i'd better get to work on this one as well... it's not getting
any younger either.

http://a25.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/...e04b596940.jpg

Old March 29th 16, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Flick

replying to <CountFloyd, Flick wrote:
What type of transmission fluid do you put in your 49 Windsor?

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/chrysler/...ion-59350-.htm

Old May 20th 16, 09:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sctvguy1[_2_]

On 2016-03-29 02:17:59 +0000, Flick said:

> replying to <CountFloyd, Flick wrote:
> What type of transmission fluid do you put in your 49 Windsor?

I have always used 10W30 in all my Fluid Drive cars, 1940, 41, and 49.
Never had any problems, they ran fine.