'00 300m -> What type of oil-like fluid could be leaking from underfront plastic facia?

Old July 15th 13, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
MoPar Man

Default '00 300m -> What type of oil-like fluid could be leaking from underfront plastic facia?

For over a year now I've been seeing small spots on my garage floor
where some sort of fluid is leaking from my year-2000 Chrysler 300m.
Something that's either part of the radiator or near the rad, some line
or connection is leaking and dripping down to the lower edge of the
front plastic facia and then from there is dripping down to the floor.

It's an oil of some type - not coolant.

I'd have to take the front facia off to see what's leaking, and it seems
that to do that I'd be breaking some plastic fasteners to get it off.

But I'd like to know what sort of line or connection, containing which
fluid, could be responsible and is located in that area.

I don't seem to be losing any engine oil, I did add maybe a shot-glass
worth of power steering fluid about a month ago (first time I've really
ever checked the PS reservoir on this car). The fluid is not red - so
it can't be transmission fluid. Don't know if it could be differential
fluid.

Any ideas?
Old July 15th 13, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

MoPar Man wrote:
> For over a year now I've been seeing small spots on my garage floor
> where some sort of fluid is leaking from my year-2000 Chrysler 300m.
> Something that's either part of the radiator or near the rad, some line
> or connection is leaking and dripping down to the lower edge of the
> front plastic facia and then from there is dripping down to the floor.
>
> It's an oil of some type - not coolant.
>
> I'd have to take the front facia off to see what's leaking, and it seems
> that to do that I'd be breaking some plastic fasteners to get it off.
>
> But I'd like to know what sort of line or connection, containing which
> fluid, could be responsible and is located in that area.
>
> I don't seem to be losing any engine oil, I did add maybe a shot-glass
> worth of power steering fluid about a month ago (first time I've really
> ever checked the PS reservoir on this car). The fluid is not red - so
> it can't be transmission fluid. Don't know if it could be differential
> fluid.
>
> Any ideas?

You probably just answered your own query. The power steering cooler is
located up behind the fascia and you likely have some seepage from a
weak clamp or possibly the cooler has a rusted area.

--
Steve W.
Old July 15th 13, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
howard[_3_]

On 7/15/2013 9:05 AM, MoPar Man wrote:
> For over a year now I've been seeing small spots on my garage floor
> where some sort of fluid is leaking from my year-2000 Chrysler 300m.
> Something that's either part of the radiator or near the rad, some line
> or connection is leaking and dripping down to the lower edge of the
> front plastic facia and then from there is dripping down to the floor.
>
> It's an oil of some type - not coolant.
>
> I'd have to take the front facia off to see what's leaking, and it seems
> that to do that I'd be breaking some plastic fasteners to get it off.
>
> But I'd like to know what sort of line or connection, containing which
> fluid, could be responsible and is located in that area.
>
> I don't seem to be losing any engine oil, I did add maybe a shot-glass
> worth of power steering fluid about a month ago (first time I've really
> ever checked the PS reservoir on this car). The fluid is not red - so
> it can't be transmission fluid. Don't know if it could be differential
> fluid.
>
> Any ideas?

2001 PT Cruiser, tan to dark yellow slight drip on floor of garage, in
varying places. Took the PT in to a PRIVATE MECHANIC (no dealer nearby)
for the 100,000 mile maintenance. He suspected and spotted a slight
water pump leak. I asked about the radiator, he said the leak was
probably tracking to the lowest point....radiator fine and tight.
Old July 15th 13, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
News

On 7/15/2013 5:09 PM, howard wrote:
> On 7/15/2013 9:05 AM, MoPar Man wrote:
>> For over a year now I've been seeing small spots on my garage floor
>> where some sort of fluid is leaking from my year-2000 Chrysler 300m.
>> Something that's either part of the radiator or near the rad, some line
>> or connection is leaking and dripping down to the lower edge of the
>> front plastic facia and then from there is dripping down to the floor.
>>
>> It's an oil of some type - not coolant.
>>
>> I'd have to take the front facia off to see what's leaking, and it seems
>> that to do that I'd be breaking some plastic fasteners to get it off.
>>
>> But I'd like to know what sort of line or connection, containing which
>> fluid, could be responsible and is located in that area.
>>
>> I don't seem to be losing any engine oil, I did add maybe a shot-glass
>> worth of power steering fluid about a month ago (first time I've really
>> ever checked the PS reservoir on this car). The fluid is not red - so
>> it can't be transmission fluid. Don't know if it could be differential
>> fluid.
>>
>> Any ideas?

> 2001 PT Cruiser, tan to dark yellow slight drip on floor of garage, in
> varying places. Took the PT in to a PRIVATE MECHANIC (no dealer nearby)
> for the 100,000 mile maintenance. He suspected and spotted a slight
> water pump leak. I asked about the radiator, he said the leak was
> probably tracking to the lowest point....radiator fine and tight.

There is a weep hole on the water pump.