iRacing finally gets its act together

Old October 29th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default iRacing finally gets its act together

....in the form of the MX-5.

Yes, the new Williams F1 car is grabbing much of the limelight (and there's a great
3 month, car & two track package for new customers) but I spent most of my day off
yesterday racing the MX-5. It was simply superb fun, and I think I did more road
races in one day than I did in the whole of last season.

The old Solstice was a dog, and no advert for the service whatsoever. However
they've given it new tyres this build, making it much, much, much more entertaining
to drive. But that's not really important because the MX-5 is even better and
replaces the Solstice as your first (road) taste of the iRacing code.

Now, as I've said from the start, I'm not the biggest fan of the overall service
and its serious sporting goals. But I still think this is the best sim code on the
planet and with the changes made in this build the pleasure/pain balance for me
might finally have been tipped permanently towards pleasure.

Maybe. :-) I am pleased that they've finally decided to try some permanent Fun
servers, with no SR to worry about. But I think choosing the F1 and top end oval
car is a mistake... neither car are suitable for a quick relaxed race... which, for
me, is the whole point of a permanent Fun server!

Still, it's progress towards a more widely targeted sim, so I have to be
optimistic... especially if we persuade them to give the MX-5 a proper series which
isn't limited to the two Rookie tracks. I used to think the Skip Barber was the
only road car iRacing needed, but now I'd be happy if there was only the MX-5 in
various formats to suit driver preferences. It will hurt other series, but that's
the nature of iRacing, and I don't honestly care. The MX-5 really is a hugely
satisfying sim-ride. Perhaps the best ever.

Anyway, if you're currently not a member, this is a good time join or re-join. The
new build fun & frolics may only last until the end of Wk13 (next Monday night) but
for the next few days at least iRacing feels like a great place to be a member.

Unless, of course, the maintenance going on as I type changes things again and
makes the MX-5 more fragile. Part of the appeal so far has been the ability to make
a little contact and not cause the traditional iCrippling damage.

Andrew McP... suffering from an uncharacteristic attack of iFanboyism which
probably won't last

PS The MX-5 is, of course, running on two tracks you'll have to buy this week
(Mid-Ohio & the superb Road Atlanta). But this is iRacing, so that goes without
saying. :-) The F1 is running on the two tracks mentioned above, plus Laguna, so at
least one day in three is accessible with no extra expense.

Disclaimer: I have spent almost a month's wages now at iRacing. I may not be
capable of a rational opinion on the subject any more. ;-)
Old October 30th 10, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

Thanks Andrew, I just went on and am downloading the MX5 now, along
with almost 600MB of updates!! I was going to wait until the Porsche
Club track season was totally over up here in the northeast (11/13 at
Limerock) but their 3 months for $12 offer got me back early.. They
made a TOn of changes since last April, looking forward to the winter
Sim season!

GaryR.

Old November 1st 10, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy[_3_]

"Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in message
> ...in the form of the MX-5.

snip

from here up, You are right sir. but just like the rest of the cars, I give
them 3 to 4 weeks to make even the Mazda undrivable (with updates), LOL!

Old November 2nd 10, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(PlowBoy) wrote:

> from here up, You are right sir. but just like the rest of the
> cars, I give them 3 to 4 weeks to make even the Mazda undrivable
> (with updates), LOL!

It is the iRacing way. You just get settled into things and then they go and change
it in a subtle way which makes you have to start re-training. :-)

In the MX-5's case, you might be right though. I was in a practice session at Road
Atlanta with (among many others) Eric Foss, who drives these things at that track
for real. He trains people on that track and has done about a zillion laps. He
mentioned to others that the Cup version has had its aero tweaked to bring it up to
the level of the Roadster, which is apparently a little faster.

He also said the car's a bit easier to drive on iRacing than it is in real life.
Not far off, but definitely easier. So someone may eventually decide to do some
un-tweaking.

At the moment though I'm feeling more iRacey than I've done in... well, a long time.
I might even throw caution to the wind and start joining MX-5 races which split.
Not sure I want to risk my SR in an unsplit Rookie race though. These cars lap too
close together, even in Rookie hands, for that! Wonderful little car though, and
the England club's using it for the weekly hosted races this season, instead of the
Skip. Should be a whole heap of fun based on a test race last Sunday.

Andrew McP

PS I found some of the interviews here quite reassuring. Steve Myers comes across
far better in person than he does in print...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q1-soWIvf8