Bailout for the Big Three?? How will it help??

Old November 24th 08, 10:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

Default Bailout for the Big Three?? How will it help??

In article >, MoPar Man >
wrote:

> Until or unless there is a level global playing field with respect to
> the importation and sale of foreign cars, we will never know if US-made
> cars would, or could sell in foreign markets to the extent necessary to
> change the financial bottom line of the US big-3.

If they make the cars we want well buy them.
I haven't seen one I would buy new for many years.

Yet the "foreign" makes have several cars I'd buy.
Old November 25th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article >, MoPar Man >
wrote:

> Blame Chrysler's current vehicle offerings on Germans working for
> Daimler. They had their own agenda, which was to treat Chrysler as a
> low-end sister division to Mercedes, and to design Chrysler vehicles
> with as much Mercedes parts content as possible. That meant lots of
> 4-wheel drive, and raising the car up to accomodate the extra parts for
> 4-wd. What you get is more truckish looking cars - and more heavy.

Certainly Daimler wanted Chrysler to complement Dalimer's vehicles and
to obtain production efficiencies through shared production.
The FWD 300M being replaced by the RWD 300 (Mafia car my dealer says) is
the result or sharing the drive train and engine.
The Caliper and Compass have some very good technology, I particularly
like the Compass's profile and rear views, but the Jeep (read truck)
front end is just something I park in my driveway.
The Nissan Rogue, with almost identical drive train, is quite acceptable
to me.
Old November 25th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article >,
Paul M. Eldridge > wrote:

> What I've been saying is that Chrysler needs to focus its attention
> squarely on the North American market and not get distracted trying to
> sell its products in countries where, for a variety of reasons, it's
> not likely to perform well. It goes to the point I made earlier, that
> if you can't sell North American cars to North American car buyers
> who, in the past, have been largely loyal to you, it's not likely
> you'll fair much better in foreign markets where the general public is
> even more committed to supporting their own domestic manufacturers.

Hear hear!!!
Old November 25th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article >, MoPar Man >
wrote:

> And it's NOT like the big-3 don't have small car options to sell when
> gas hits $4. They have always had small cars with small engines, and
> they always do sell a lot of them. They just don't make much profit on
> them, and they can't when Korean and Japanese cars are effectively
> dumped into the US market, and the big-3 face trade barriers trying to
> sell their small cars into those foreign markets.

They don't make much profit on their smaller cars because they are built
to be cheap, as well as small. I've owned several, both NS and import.

Most of our Japanese cars are built in NAFTA, most in the USA or Canada.
Take the Civic and RAV4 built in Canada; Camry and various Hyundai
models built in the USA; Nissan Versa built in Mexico where Chrysler
built the Neon as well as other models. Then there's the Fusion from
Mexico.
The Nissan Rogue has been coming from Japan, but I hear a USA plant is
being built.
GM is dumping small cars from Korea, my oh my!
Old November 25th 08, 09:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

In article >,
Paul M. Eldridge > wrote:

> Well, if, in your words, "South Korean culture is, by some accounts,
> incredibly hostile towards the US and this appears to influence
> consumer purchasing habits" this doesn't strike me as a promising
> market for Chrysler. Wouldn't it make more sense for Chrysler to
> focus its attention on markets that are a little less "hostile"? [I'm
> thinking, maybe, North America?]

I expect the German's running Chrysler didn't understand that.

> And for fear I leave you with the wrong impression, I have a strong
> emotional commitment to this company and with one exception, all my
> vehicles have been Chrysler products, most recently a 300M Special and
> a Dodge Magnum R/T. I would dearly like my next vehicle to be a
> Chrysler but, as I've stated on this forum before, I'm not the least
> bit interested in driving a truck or SUV, and whilst the new 300 is
> OK, it's doesn't drop me to my knees (frankly, if I wanted a cheap,
> plasticky interior, I would buy a Tercel).

Me too and if it weren't for being lucky and finding an excelent
condition 300M I would be driving 'foreign" today.

BTW that 300 totally turns me off. As I said to a Chrysler dealer, even
if the 300 was FWD I'd never buy it.
Old November 25th 08, 09:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

Some O wrote:
> > The big problem will be supplying the huge amount of
> > electricity. Big expansion of electric generating
> > capacity will be needed. Solar cells on the roofs
> > of plug in electric vehicles would help.

In article >, MoPar Man >
wrote:
> Actually - no. If we're talking about a mass adoption of gas-electric
> hybrids, then we're not looking at much, or any, additional load to the
> electricity grid. Remember that the Prius does not (from the factory)
> have the ability to be plug-in charged. There is no need, because it's
> battery system is not large enough, nor designed, to be the main energy
> source for the vehicle.

Actually- yes. More Hybrids will become plug in, where they can travel
40+ miles on battery alone. The gas engine is only used for extended
trips or for additional power. Much commuting could be done on plug in
power alone.
The Volt is of this type, I've read the Prius will also have this plug
in capability.
The Volt type of vehicle definitely interests me. I could get by with
the one car I have now, yet enjoy excellent urban mileage and long
distance highway driving.
Old November 26th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Some O wrote:

> > What I've been saying is that Chrysler needs to focus its
> > attention squarely on the North American market

> Hear hear!!!

Chrysler is at a huge disadvantage compared to GM and Ford at NOT having
a presence in foreign car markets.

Daimler spent the last 8 years ****ing with Chrysler and keeping them
from entering foreign markets (either directly with Chrysler car sales
or indirectly by buying foreign car brands).
Old November 26th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dori A Schmetterling[_3_]

Quite a few Chryslers are sold in Europe!

Or do you mean manufacturing in foreign markets?

DAS

---

Old November 26th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Top-poster Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

> Quite a few Chryslers are sold in Europe!

In 2006, Chrysler built 2.7 million vehicles (a drop of 4.5% compared to
2005), of which 556k were sold outside the US (220k in Canada, 131k
units in Mexico). Giving a total of 214k outside NA or 17.8k vehicles
per month.

"... the company's minivans and larger Jeep models, like Commander and
Grand Cherokee, are surprisingly popular in Europe."

In Q2 2007, Chrysler (then owned by Daimler) was selling about 15k to
18k cars per month outside North America. 9.5k of those were sold in
western Europe. The Caliber is the top seller outside NA. In the first
4 months of 2007, Chrysler sold a total of 71k cars outside NA (average
of 17.75k cars/month). One source claims these numbers are 10% to 15%
higher year over year vs 2006.

During the first 8 months of 2008, sales of Chrysler vehicles outside NA
_fell_ 12% year-over-year to 70.5k units (8.8k / month).

> Or do you mean manufacturing in foreign markets?

I'm sure that would help. The import taxes in foreign markets must be
significant.

See also:

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=187447

------------------
January 4 / 2007

Launch of Chrysler Sebring in China

Production of the new Chrysler Sebring sedan for the China market will
begin later this year in Beijing at Beijing-Benz DaimlerChrysler
Automotive Co. (BBDC). BBDC is a joint venture between the Beijing
Automotive Industry Holding Co. Ltd. and DaimlerChrysler.

Production of the Sebring leverages assembly capacity at the new BBDC
plant, which also builds the Chrysler 300C, the Mercedes-Benz E-Class
and Mitsubishi Outlander. Four-cylinder World Engines for the Sebring
will be built at the Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance (GEMA) plant
in Dundee, Mich. for export to China. GEMA is a joint venture of
DaimlerChrysler, Mitsubishi Motors Corp. and Hyundai Motor Co.

Global Business Opportunities

Global partnerships and ventures are part of the Chrysler Group's
aggressive drive to create new business models that make sense for
today's global automotive environment.

The agreement with Chery - which is dependent on approval by the
DaimlerChrysler Supervisory Board and Chinese government - also
illustrates the alliance strategy. The partnership allows the Chrysler
Group to bring a low-margin subcompact car to market fast, meet targets
for low cost and high quality, with minimal capital investment.

Another example of the Chrysler Group's alliance strategy is a licensing
agreement, reached last year, which allows Russian automaker GAZ to
build the previous-generation Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Stratus sedans
for sale in Russia under the GAZ brand. As part of the deal, GAZ
purchased manufacturing tooling from Chrysler Group's Sterling Heights
(Mich.) Assembly Plant where the sedans had previously been built,
enabling the Chrysler Group to maximize its assets. Engines for the
sedans and other vehicles being built by GAZ will be supplied by the
Chrysler Group plant in Saltillo, Mexico.
Old November 29th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dori A Schmetterling[_3_]

So what's the evidence for your point, post-dictator?

"...keeping them from entering foreign markets..."

Are you just a xenophobe you can't bear the idea that an American company
is/was owned by a European one so having a go at Daimler Germany?

Nor can you advance your arguments -- which appear quite confused -- with
supposition

"... The import taxes in foreign markets must be significant."

In Europe it isn't.

Chrysler has failed manufacturing ventures in Europe going back to well
before Mercedes's ownership. Ford and GM have fared much better (GM has
owned Adam Opel since the twenties, for example).

DAS

---
[...]