Suspended license from another state

Old September 7th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Terry

Default Suspended license from another state

When my niece was around 17 she got two speeding tickets in a short
period in Georgia. She lives in Alabama. Georgia sent her a letter
saying her driving privileges were suspended for 6 months and she
should send in her license. The letter also said that she would have
to take a defensive driving school. She was also supposed to send in
200 bucks for a reinstatement fee at the end of her suspension.

We found out at that time that Georgia can not suspend her license
because her license was issued in Alabama. Georgia can only suspend
her privilege in Georgia. A police told her mom that she did not have
to send in her license. She did take the driving course but has not
sent any papers to Georgia.

It is getting very close to the end of her suspension. My sister asked
a Georgia police to run my niece's license. The cop said that the
license came back clear in Georgia and in Alabama.

How can her privileges be reinstated in Georgia without her sending her
papers to the state and without sending $200?

A mistake has been made either by Georgia, which works to my niece's
advantage, or by the cop that has ran her license which could come back
to bite her on the ass.

How can I find out for sure without risking more trouble for my niece?

Old September 7th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Shawn Hirn

In article .com>,
"Terry" > wrote:

> When my niece was around 17 she got two speeding tickets in a short
> period in Georgia. She lives in Alabama. Georgia sent her a letter
> saying her driving privileges were suspended for 6 months and she
> should send in her license. The letter also said that she would have
> to take a defensive driving school. She was also supposed to send in
> 200 bucks for a reinstatement fee at the end of her suspension.
>
> We found out at that time that Georgia can not suspend her license
> because her license was issued in Alabama. Georgia can only suspend
> her privilege in Georgia. A police told her mom that she did not have
> to send in her license. She did take the driving course but has not
> sent any papers to Georgia.
>
> It is getting very close to the end of her suspension. My sister asked
> a Georgia police to run my niece's license. The cop said that the
> license came back clear in Georgia and in Alabama.
>
> How can her privileges be reinstated in Georgia without her sending her
> papers to the state and without sending $200?
>
> A mistake has been made either by Georgia, which works to my niece's
> advantage, or by the cop that has ran her license which could come back
> to bite her on the ass.
>
> How can I find out for sure without risking more trouble for my niece?

Maybe I am missing something, but didn't you said "my sister asked
a Georgia police to run my niece's license. The cop said that the
license came back clear in Georgia and in Alabama" so what's the
problem?
Old September 7th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Terry

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Terry" > wrote:
>
> > When my niece was around 17 she got two speeding tickets in a short
> > period in Georgia. She lives in Alabama. Georgia sent her a letter
> > saying her driving privileges were suspended for 6 months and she
> > should send in her license. The letter also said that she would have
> > to take a defensive driving school. She was also supposed to send in
> > 200 bucks for a reinstatement fee at the end of her suspension.
> >
> > We found out at that time that Georgia can not suspend her license
> > because her license was issued in Alabama. Georgia can only suspend
> > her privilege in Georgia. A police told her mom that she did not have
> > to send in her license. She did take the driving course but has not
> > sent any papers to Georgia.
> >
> > It is getting very close to the end of her suspension. My sister asked
> > a Georgia police to run my niece's license. The cop said that the
> > license came back clear in Georgia and in Alabama.
> >
> > How can her privileges be reinstated in Georgia without her sending her
> > papers to the state and without sending $200?
> >
> > A mistake has been made either by Georgia, which works to my niece's
> > advantage, or by the cop that has ran her license which could come back
> > to bite her on the ass.
> >
> > How can I find out for sure without risking more trouble for my niece?

> Maybe I am missing something, but didn't you said "my sister asked
> a Georgia police to run my niece's license. The cop said that the
> license came back clear in Georgia and in Alabama" so what's the
> problem?

The problem is that she has a letter from the State of Georgia that
says her license is suspended and before she can have them reinstated
she has to go to defensive driving school and send them 200 bucks.

I believe my sister when she says her friend (cop) ran the license, but
I can't help thinking that is no excuse to ignore the letter from
Georgia. I would like to find out if she can throw the letter in the
trash without stirring up trouble for my niece.

I am afraid if I try to verify this on my own that this might cause
Georgia to re-look into her file and cause trouble.

Old September 7th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
morticide

Terry wrote:
> Shawn Hirn wrote:
> > In article .com>,
> > "Terry" > wrote:
> >
> > > When my niece was around 17 she got two speeding tickets in a short
> > > period in Georgia. She lives in Alabama. Georgia sent her a letter
> > > saying her driving privileges were suspended for 6 months and she
> > > should send in her license. The letter also said that she would have
> > > to take a defensive driving school. She was also supposed to send in
> > > 200 bucks for a reinstatement fee at the end of her suspension.
> > >
> > > We found out at that time that Georgia can not suspend her license
> > > because her license was issued in Alabama. Georgia can only suspend
> > > her privilege in Georgia. A police told her mom that she did not have
> > > to send in her license. She did take the driving course but has not
> > > sent any papers to Georgia.
> > >
> > > It is getting very close to the end of her suspension. My sister asked
> > > a Georgia police to run my niece's license. The cop said that the
> > > license came back clear in Georgia and in Alabama.
> > >
> > > How can her privileges be reinstated in Georgia without her sending her
> > > papers to the state and without sending $200?
> > >
> > > A mistake has been made either by Georgia, which works to my niece's
> > > advantage, or by the cop that has ran her license which could come back
> > > to bite her on the ass.
> > >
> > > How can I find out for sure without risking more trouble for my niece?

> > Maybe I am missing something, but didn't you said "my sister asked
> > a Georgia police to run my niece's license. The cop said that the
> > license came back clear in Georgia and in Alabama" so what's the
> > problem?

> The problem is that she has a letter from the State of Georgia that
> says her license is suspended and before she can have them reinstated
> she has to go to defensive driving school and send them 200 bucks.
>
> I believe my sister when she says her friend (cop) ran the license, but
> I can't help thinking that is no excuse to ignore the letter from
> Georgia. I would like to find out if she can throw the letter in the
> trash without stirring up trouble for my niece.
>
> I am afraid if I try to verify this on my own that this might cause
> Georgia to re-look into her file and cause trouble.

I'd be suspicious too...the cop may be burying the truth to support the
revenue-generation operation.

Old September 7th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Bill Funk

On 7 Sep 2006 12:02:50 -0700, "Terry" > wrote:

>> Maybe I am missing something, but didn't you said "my sister asked
>> a Georgia police to run my niece's license. The cop said that the
>> license came back clear in Georgia and in Alabama" so what's the
>> problem?

>The problem is that she has a letter from the State of Georgia that
>says her license is suspended and before she can have them reinstated
>she has to go to defensive driving school and send them 200 bucks.
>
>I believe my sister when she says her friend (cop) ran the license, but
>I can't help thinking that is no excuse to ignore the letter from
>Georgia. I would like to find out if she can throw the letter in the
>trash without stirring up trouble for my niece.
>
>I am afraid if I try to verify this on my own that this might cause
>Georgia to re-look into her file and cause trouble.

What I would do:
Ask the Georgia DMV directly. Be prepared for the worst; proof of
driving school attendance and a $200 re-instatement fee.
Or, just don't go into Georgia ever again.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old September 7th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Terry

Bill Funk wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2006 12:02:50 -0700, "Terry" > wrote:
>
> >> Maybe I am missing something, but didn't you said "my sister asked
> >> a Georgia police to run my niece's license. The cop said that the
> >> license came back clear in Georgia and in Alabama" so what's the
> >> problem?

> >The problem is that she has a letter from the State of Georgia that
> >says her license is suspended and before she can have them reinstated
> >she has to go to defensive driving school and send them 200 bucks.
> >
> >I believe my sister when she says her friend (cop) ran the license, but
> >I can't help thinking that is no excuse to ignore the letter from
> >Georgia. I would like to find out if she can throw the letter in the
> >trash without stirring up trouble for my niece.
> >
> >I am afraid if I try to verify this on my own that this might cause
> >Georgia to re-look into her file and cause trouble.

> What I would do:
> Ask the Georgia DMV directly. Be prepared for the worst; proof of
> driving school attendance and a $200 re-instatement fee.
> Or, just don't go into Georgia ever again.

The 200$ is not even close to the worst. Stirring the fire could also
cause Georgia to contact Alabama and my niece pays twice for her
tickets This could also cause my sister's insurance to go up
considerably.

They live about 10 min from the Georgia line and spend much time in
Georgia. I live in Georgia.

Old September 8th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Bill Funk

On 7 Sep 2006 14:13:00 -0700, "Terry" > wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:

>> >The problem is that she has a letter from the State of Georgia that
>> >says her license is suspended and before she can have them reinstated
>> >she has to go to defensive driving school and send them 200 bucks.
>> >
>> >I believe my sister when she says her friend (cop) ran the license, but
>> >I can't help thinking that is no excuse to ignore the letter from
>> >Georgia. I would like to find out if she can throw the letter in the
>> >trash without stirring up trouble for my niece.
>> >
>> >I am afraid if I try to verify this on my own that this might cause
>> >Georgia to re-look into her file and cause trouble.

>> What I would do:
>> Ask the Georgia DMV directly. Be prepared for the worst; proof of
>> driving school attendance and a $200 re-instatement fee.
>> Or, just don't go into Georgia ever again.

>The 200$ is not even close to the worst. Stirring the fire could also
>cause Georgia to contact Alabama and my niece pays twice for her
>tickets

Alabama would fine her for a citation (or 2) in Georgia?
>This could also cause my sister's insurance to go up
>considerably.

Well, there are consequences for actions.

>They live about 10 min from the Georgia line and spend much time in
>Georgia. I live in Georgia.

Good luck.
--
Bill Funk