Thinking on buying

Old March 18th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Thinking on buying

Hi all, I am looking at buying a 1994 Explorer with about 145,000 km's on
it. I have owned Jeeps for a few years and know what to look for on them,
any thing special and particular I should be looking at on an Explorer? Any
comments on repairs to look into? or general comment appreciated.

Thanks
Snow...

Old March 19th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Snow > wrote in message
.. .
> Hi all, I am looking at buying a 1994 Explorer with about 145,000 km's on
> it. I have owned Jeeps for a few years and know what to look for on them,
> any thing special and particular I should be looking at on an Explorer?

Any
> comments on repairs to look into? or general comment appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Snow...

With that mileage the first thing that comes to my mind is radius arm
bushings. If it clunks when coming to a stop...

Other common problems but which usually occur with more miles would be:

Autohubs
Lower intake manifold gasket
Head gasket leaks
Automatic transmission

Thermostat failures are common too but at just about any mileage.

In my opinion the engine is just about bulletproof, the body and frame are
very strong, and with repairs and maintenance it will last a long, long
time. You may need a new (auto) transmission about the time many
cars/trucks are in the junkyard. Most of us have replaced the autohubs with
manual locking hubs. The other problems seem to occur generally around
150,000-200,000 miles (not kilos).

Old April 25th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Good grief, I have a 1993 Ford Explorer with 204,000 miles on it and I
wouldn't part with it. I love it. It has only let me down once in 14 years
and that was a bad fuel pump relay which was remedied in about 5 minutes by
swapping relays with the AC solenoid relay.

A friend has a 1994 Explorer and he bought a new Explorer four years ago. I
don't think he'd have done that if Explorers were POSs.

Old April 26th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Just curious... this is the second post I notice from you bashing
explorers. If you're not in to 'em, fine. But then why are you here?

In article <2Qd3g.7$nq3.3@clgrps12>, Grolch

Buying a new minivan Zee Chrysler 0 May 25th 05 05:24 AM
buying 2000 jetta dvdgldg VW water cooled 4 May 21st 05 12:32 AM
advice on car buying G Technology 9 April 14th 05 07:06 PM
Buying Used 95 Saturn-Advise! Semi Head Saturn 5 March 23rd 05 08:17 PM
Used 156 buying Advice Please ? Steve Haigh Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 09:12 PM