Best no BS motor oil/filter comparison?

Old December 5th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
E. Meyer

Default Best no BS motor oil/filter comparison?

On 12/4/08 5:55 PM, in article ,
"Vic Smith" > wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 21:55:07 GMT, "E. Meyer" >
> wrote:
>

>>> As far as I know driver's ed is still a HS graduation requirement in
>>> Illinois.

>> When did they start doing that? It certainly was not a graduation
>> requirement in Illinois when I went to high school there. It was offered in
>> most schools, but only as an extra cost after school activity.
>>

> Don't know when they started.
> I recall they were permitted at 15 - at school - got initial
> instruction at school, and had to spend some hours driving with a
> licensed driver - it was sometimes me, sometimes my wife - then
> did the test at school when they were 16.
> They just picked up the license at the DMV.
> DMV randomly tests some dates - my son caught that so was tested
> twice.
> They didn't even offer it when I was in school.
> My last two graduated in 2002 and 2003.
> It was required. Just like the Constitution test.
>
> --Vic

I guess I'm just too old. There was no constitution test when I went to HS
in Illinois either (class of '68). I do remember the last time I had to
drive in Illinois I observed a near universal disregard for virtually all
the rules of the road and near total lack of enforcement that would have
blown our minds back in the '60s.

Old December 5th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
Brent[_4_]

On 2008-12-05, Steve > wrote:
> Brent wrote:

>>> Yes... but does it make a difference? If the computer shuts the car off
>>> 'now' or 'in 30 seconds,' its still out of the driver's control. I know
>>> you mentioned an override switch, but I can still see the lawsuits
>>> flying. "I got all scared when the warning went off, I couldn't find the
>>> switch, so I looked around for it and hit a guardrail while I was
>>> looking down, and then a truck hit me, my passenger was killed and I'm
>>> paralyzed. The carmaker owes me 300 million dollars."

>> What do these idiots do when the ignition module cuts out?
>>
>> Or better yet, when the engine ultimately siezes up from overheating?
>>

> Brent, you're making sense. Stop it. Now think like a lawyer:
>
> Those incidents you mentioned are "acts of God" and you can't win a
> lawsuit based on them.
>
> But if the computer SHUTS DOWN the engine BY DESIGN, well my-oh-my,
> that's willful murder on the part of the manufacturer! Now we've got a
> CASE!!

A good lawyer could sue for faulty water pump design or poorly made
ignition modules too