$36.46

Old August 20th 05, 12:11 AM
dwight

Default $36.46

Stopped to gas up this morning, and 87 was going for $2.659 (I know it's
higher in some areas). The Sunoco was selling its Ultra94 for only two cents
more, so I chipped in another 26 cents for that.

Still, $36.46 is my new record for a tankful of gas. (It really wasn't that
long ago... I remember breaking the $20.00 barrier for the first time.)

What's really amazing to me is my own reaction. I just shrug, fill up, and
continue to drive the same way I always do.

If my tires were suddenly $250 apiece, I'd probably take it a little easier
on start-ups and turns. If my brakes became $1,000 jobs, I'd be doing a lot
more coasting. But seeing gas nearly double in price in a very short time
hasn't affected my driving or slowed me down.

Is it because the price comes in little bumps two and three times a week?

How has the gas price increases affected your own driving, folks?

dwight

Old August 20th 05, 12:39 AM
trotzo

I think locking gas caps are about to make a big comeback......

Old August 20th 05, 02:31 AM
AGuyNamedSteve

I've been riding the bus for quite some time now - since before it was
even $1.75/gallon. With my Ranger, my last fillup was $45, but I only
fill up a few times/month with my regular driving.

However, I'm getting closer to replacing the Ranger. If it hadn't been
for the $5000 engine replacement, it'd be paid off and gone. My
original plan was to have an SUV and a coupe for my wife and I. I was
thinking Toyota 4Runner with the V8 engine - could actually use it to
trailer the Buick if I were to do that in the future, and an Infiniti
G35 coupe.

Unfortunately the G35 coupe requires premium fuel... that may have to
get axed. The V8 4Runner only gets a little better mileage than the
Ranger... may have to change that plan.

Right now I'm sort of in limbo. I do know that we don't like having to
have other people drive when we go out with them (currently have my
Ranger and wife's 95 Civic). I've considered cars like the Audi A4 3.2
AWD, BMW 330xi (2005 they stopped making it with the body change), Acura
TL, and a variety of others. Personally I'd like AWD for this if I
don't end up with an SUV.

There isn't one American car that really interests me, for my practical
purposes. It's a sad truth, and I've really tried to find one.

So the gas prices are affecting potential replacement vehicle choices.
We'll see what happens.

Steve
72 Skylark Custom455

Old August 20th 05, 05:08 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

Hey Steve, have you looked at the Escape hybrid? It looks interesting.
Here's a link:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/home/

Old August 20th 05, 03:26 PM
dwight

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message
> Hey Steve, have you looked at the Escape hybrid? It looks interesting.
> Here's a link:
>
> http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/home/

The Hybrid would be a fair replacement for my wife's current Escape, since
it's mostly used as a commuter and some very light hauling. But that I4
engine putting out 133hp and torque at only 124... might not do what Steve
needs it to do.

dwight

Old August 20th 05, 04:29 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

dwight wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message
>
>>Hey Steve, have you looked at the Escape hybrid? It looks interesting.
>>Here's a link:
>>
>>http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/home/

> The Hybrid would be a fair replacement for my wife's current Escape, since
> it's mostly used as a commuter and some very light hauling. But that I4
> engine putting out 133hp and torque at only 124... might not do what Steve
> needs it to do.

It's definitely not a tow vehicle but it does get incredible mileage for
an SUV. The gas engine is supplemented by the electric motor under high
load situations so it performs very similar to the V-6 version. It
mainly gets its efficiency in city driving by shutting the engine off
when the car stops. The electric motor/generator then starts the engine
when needed. The generator also converts brake energy to electricity
which is stored in the NiMh battery. I would definitely want to get the
extended warranty on it though because I bet paying for a repair on that
drive train would be expensive.
Old August 20th 05, 08:19 PM
WindsorFox[SS]

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> Hey Steve, have you looked at the Escape hybrid? It looks interesting.
> Here's a link:
>
> http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/home/

Whos ad showed the 268 (?) horse power hybrid SUV passing the dork
in the Mustang vert?

--

"Gullible is a misdemeanor - stupid is a felony...
clueless gets you committed..." - JG
Old August 20th 05, 08:37 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

WindsorFox[SS] wrote:
> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>> Hey Steve, have you looked at the Escape hybrid? It looks
>> interesting. Here's a link:
>>
>> http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/home/
>>

> Whos ad showed the 268 (?) horse power hybrid SUV passing the dork
> in the Mustang vert?

I guess I missed that add.
Old August 21st 05, 06:57 AM
WindsorFox[SS]

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> WindsorFox[SS] wrote:
>
>> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Steve, have you looked at the Escape hybrid? It looks
>>> interesting. Here's a link:
>>>
>>> http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/home/
>>>

>> Whos ad showed the 268 (?) horse power hybrid SUV passing the dork
>> in the Mustang vert?

> I guess I missed that add.

Didn't miss much. Some lounge lizard type in a Mustang vert,
checking himself out in the mirror when a smallish SUV drives past and
he gets a shocked look like they shouldn't be able to do that, which is
dumb in its self. The voice over says "Now there's a 268 HP hybrid." I
think it's a Toyota.

Old August 21st 05, 12:54 AM
AGuyNamedSteve

Michael,

I saw the Escape Hybrid for the first time several years ago (back when
it was going to be a 2003 release). A friend and I got to preview a
bunch of the new trucks/SUV's at Seattle International Raceway's parking
lot. It was an invitation event. He actually was considering it as a
replacement for the family Saturn, when the time came. It never
happened for him now that it is here. I had an Escape V6 in Hawaii a
couple of years ago. It was a great rental car for The Big Island. But
I wouldn't want one of my own. I would rather not get one of the "mini"
SUV's anyhow.

I also don't need super high mpg, just something that has a low in the
low 20's and can see around 30. My Ranger just got about 15.25 on my
last tankful. I do drive it short distances to and from the park n ride
lot, which hurts it a little.

I have had two For Ranger trucks give me bad experiences, plus an
Explorer Sport with a problem too. I just can't see going back at this
point. I still think my new engine has a problem. But if there aren't
any codes, there isn't any problem...

It's unfortunate, but that's where I am with the (new) Fords at this
point. I'd still love to have 5.0 notch commuter though.

Steve
72 Skylark Custom455