A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Saturn
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Oil Life



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 19th 05, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Oil Life

My wife bought a 2005 Ion and has put 4000 miles on it so far. The oil
life warning has yet to signal a time for a change. The dealer says
bring it in every 3000 mile, but at $40 a pop, I think they are more
interested in making money. What is normal on these?

Thanks in advance;
Chuck
Ads
  #2  
Old December 19th 05, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Oil Life

Oil should be changed at 3,000 miles. If you think $40 is high, then have
it done someplace cheaper.

--
Steve Barker



"Charles D.Wolf" > wrote in message
...
> My wife bought a 2005 Ion and has put 4000 miles on it so far. The oil
> life warning has yet to signal a time for a change. The dealer says bring
> it in every 3000 mile, but at $40 a pop, I think they are more interested
> in making money. What is normal on these?
>
> Thanks in advance;
> Chuck



  #3  
Old December 20th 05, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Oil Life

Yeah, like an idiot I used to take my 92 SL1 to dealer for oil changes
because my dealer told me that I HAVE to bring it there. Soon as I
found out that I could have a lube shop do it for me without affecting
the warranty I started taking my car to Mr Lube where is was half the
cost of the dealer PLUS it was done on the spot.
With the dealer I had to take a loaner car home.... gimme a break.

Ever since the warranty ran out on the car I started to do my own oil
changes. I change the oil every 6000-7000 miles (always put Castrol
Syntec 5-50 in it). My car now has 280,000 miles on it and still going
strong.

  #4  
Old December 20th 05, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Oil Life

When I purchased by Vue, the dealer gave me the same lame
recommendation. I posted this recommendation here, and a GM engineer
actually took the time to email me about it. There is an explanation of
how the system works at
http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/iss...pdf/3_00_e.pdf (site is
going to be closed at the end of December, so look fast). I was a
little worried, since my Vue didn't call for an oil change in almost
7000 miles. So when I finally changed the oil, I collected a sample and
sent it off for analysis. The lab said it was in good condition and was
good for at least another 3000 miles.

The 3000 mile oil chage fanactics are mostly repeating their
grandfather's wisdom. 3000 mile oil changes have been the
recommendation for years despite the fact that oil is much better how
and engines are much much better better now. The removal of lead from
gasoline, good PCV system, better air filters and, most importatntly,
fuel injection have all worked to reduce the amount of contamination
that is added to the oil At the same time, the oils have been improved
greatly. Modern oils are far superior to the oil from even 15 years
ago. Yet, some people continue to claim you must change your oil every
3000 miles or your engine will die. Well it just isn't true for most
vehicels (apparently it is if you own a Toyota). Mostly the 3000 mile
oil change chat is designed to rransfer moeny from your pocket to the
pocket of the oil change places.

Ed

  #5  
Old December 21st 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Oil Life

You could have been doing them yourself all along. NO car manufacturer can
demand you pay to have the oil changed, and they ABSOLUTELY CANNOT deny a
warranty claim due to any oil related issue. I've replaced engines with
40,000 plus miles on them with the factory oil filter. I've seen dozens of
engines replaced or repaired with the original oil filter on them. (they're
painted like the engine). It makes no difference. I would like to know
where people get these bogus stories about <whiny voice on> "well my dealer
told me blah blah blah. " <whiny voice off> That is bull****. No dealer
would say such a thing, because it is just flat not true.


--
Steve Barker


"navaidstech" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yeah, like an idiot I used to take my 92 SL1 to dealer for oil changes
> because my dealer told me that I HAVE to bring it there. Soon as I
> found out that I could have a lube shop do it for me without affecting
> the warranty I started taking my car to Mr Lube where is was half the
> cost of the dealer PLUS it was done on the spot.
> With the dealer I had to take a loaner car home.... gimme a break.
>
> Ever since the warranty ran out on the car I started to do my own oil
> changes. I change the oil every 6000-7000 miles (always put Castrol
> Syntec 5-50 in it). My car now has 280,000 miles on it and still going
> strong.
>



  #6  
Old December 21st 05, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Oil Life

> "navaidstech" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Yeah, like an idiot I used to take my 92 SL1 to dealer for oil changes
>> because my dealer told me that I HAVE to bring it there. Soon as I
>> found out that I could have a lube shop do it for me without affecting
>> the warranty I started taking my car to Mr Lube where is was half the
>> cost of the dealer PLUS it was done on the spot.
>> With the dealer I had to take a loaner car home.... gimme a break.
>> <snip>


Wow! My dealer only seems to be a couple of dollars more expensive than
the ads I see for the quicky lube shops and I only have to wait 20 - 60
(almost always about 30-35) minutes! Your dealer sure is lame!


"Steve Barker LT" > wrote in message
...
> <snip>
> I would like to know where people get these bogus stories about <whiny
> voice on> "well my dealer told me blah blah blah. " <whiny voice off>
> That is bull****. No dealer would say such a thing, because it is just
> flat not true.


HUH?????? You sorely challenge your own credibility by suggesting that
all dealers always tell the truth. Did you really intend it the way it
sounds (to me) or have I misunderstood you?


  #7  
Old December 21st 05, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Oil Life


"Steve Barker LT" > wrote in message
...

> No dealer would say such a thing, because it is just flat not true.
>
> --
> Steve Barker



You don't think a car salesman would lie ?

ron


  #8  
Old December 22nd 05, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Oil Life


Steve wrote:

> Wow! My dealer only seems to be a couple of dollars more expensive than
> the ads I see for the quicky lube shops and I only have to wait 20 - 60
> (almost always about 30-35) minutes! Your dealer sure is lame!
>

Steve, that was 15 years ago when I was young, stupid and naive. I have
learned my lesson since. Now I do my own oil changes (every 6000-8000
miles), and my own car repairs. My car goes to a mechanic only when
there is something I can't do, ie. tire changes, A/C work, etc.
But I'm not kidding you, the oil change used to cost be about 40-45
dollars and for some strange reason they just couldn't do it the same
day. My dealer sure was.....and I'm sure it still is....lame.

  #9  
Old December 22nd 05, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Oil Life

>That is bull****. No dealer would say such a thing, because it is just flat not true.

HUH? A dealer that doesn't lie? My goodness, what was I thinking? I am
soooooo sorry to any car dealer that might be reading this.

NOT!!

  #10  
Old December 22nd 05, 06:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Oil Life

Ed White wrote:

> The 3000 mile oil chage fanactics are mostly repeating their
> grandfather's wisdom. 3000 mile oil changes have been the
> recommendation for years despite the fact that oil is much better how
> and engines are much much better better now.


You'll be hard pressed to find any vehicle manufacturer that has
recommended 3K mile oil changes. The first generation Saturns were one
exception, and this was because of the way the timing chain tensioner
worked, using oil as essentially a hydraulic fluid to ratchet up the
tensioner. The oil needed to be very clean or varnish would build up in
the timing chain tensioner bore, and would prevent the tensioner from
working properly.

5K is more than enough these days, with a huge margin of safety, and
7500 for non-severe driving is just fine.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Get 1 Million Visitors Without Paying A Dime In Advertising sevil ince Corvette 0 October 11th 05 07:48 AM
How To Get 1 Million Visitors Without Paying A Dime In Advertising sevil ince BMW 0 October 11th 05 07:48 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good [email protected] BMW 0 April 21st 05 10:01 PM
Life in the Fast Lane D. Rogers Mazda 0 October 30th 04 02:18 AM
FS: "The Life Of Jacques Villeneuve" (Formula 1) 1st Edition Book J.R. Sinclair General 0 June 20th 04 06:51 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.