2022 Anniversary Camaro Not Happening: Is 2021 The Last Year?

Old May 15th 21, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.camaro,alt.autos.gm
Miguel Tomar Nogueira

Default 2022 Anniversary Camaro Not Happening: Is 2021 The Last Year?

Today we can report that Chevy has no plans for the 55th anniversary of
the Camaro in 2022. Chevy always does some sort of anniversary special
Camaro every few years. What’s so different about the 55th? Why is the
2022 55th anniversary Camaro not happening? Could it be that 2021 is the
last year of the Camaro?

GM isn’t saying. It never gives any info related to future
products. That’s understandable and expected. But there have been
circumstances leading up to the 2021 Camaro that lead us to think this
is its last year of production.

First, it sold terribly last year. Yeah, COVID-19 hurt all vehicle sales
worldwide, but the 2020 Camaro was especially hit hard. Sales in the
first half of 2020 were down 50% from 2019. But the segment is led by
the Ford Mustang, which holds almost half of the market. Next in line
was the Dodge Challenger, a car developed back when Fiat Chrysler was
owned by Mercedes.

Sales of the Challenger were off about 25%-not 50% like the Camaro. So
the Camaro lags behind its two competitors by plenty. But there’s more.

The new Mustang is expected to debut later this year, although we’re now
hearing that could be delayed. But with the knowledge that Ford was
replacing the current Mustang for 2021, it means GM knows sales will
more than overshadow the Camaro. We’re thinking it decided to throw in
the towel after 2021.

We know that the plan has been to let the Camaro ride into the sunset
through 2023. But those plans were made when it was still selling enough
to keep the lights on at Camaro’s Lansing Grand River assembly plant.

Chevy has always used anniversaries for special edition Camaros. We got
one for the 25th, 35th, and 45th in 2012. In case you thought that the
55th wasn’t a big enough deal to warrant an anniversary model. And
Camaro fans expect this celebration to happen, even though that probably
doesn’t factor into Chevy’s decision not to celebrate the 55th.

With all of GM’s future plans focussed on EVs and autonomous futures,
the classic American muscle car is on the way out. The two-door, sporty,
V8-powered pony car will be gone. It is an anachronism in this jet-age
electric car frenzy. Just that alone seems like a great marketing
campaign for the last of the Camaros, last of the American V8, and last
of the pony cars-at least from GM.

Unfortunately, GM seems to run fast and loose with some of its iconic
brands. But we feel that GM wants to shed as much old GM as it can. It
wants to highlight its woke electric plans and juice up its stock
dividends. It even changed up its logo last week and plans on creating a
completely new division for its electric commercial delivery
trucks. Killing off the Camaro now just seems like part of the “new GM”
zeitgeist rampaging through the company. We’ll see what happens to the
Camaro soon enough.

<https://www.motorbiscuit.com/2022-anniversary-camaro-not-happening-is-2021-the-last-year/>