1991 Accord Lives Forever!

Old January 17th 07, 03:51 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Mark[_15_]

Default 1991 Accord Lives Forever!

- Fixed the oil leaks (no more cookie sheet under the engine when I park!
Yay!)
- New brake master cylinder
- New tires
- Replaced the O2 sensor (no more pesky code 43!)

Ready for another 50,000 miles.

I love this car.

-Mark

Old January 18th 07, 07:11 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
TE Chea

Default salesman bluffing ( 1991 Accord Lives Forever! )

| I love this car.

SM4 has many design flaws, e.g.
i) ECU sends too high voltage to injectors, 4 resistors use up =
waste 72.7% of voltage as heat, just to let injectors get a lower
voltage ( 27.3% ).
ii) gearbox has no ATF filter, so cannot be durable.
iii) internal EGR is worse than useless in reducing combustion
temperature.
iv) coil inside distributor gets too much heat, cannot produce
enough ampere, & coil's lacquer insulation will crack.
v) cheapo exhaust manifold, if <2.2 litre.

No wonder you hide your name, to bluff all you want.

Old January 25th 07, 12:00 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Michael Pardee

"TE Chea" > wrote in message
>| I love this car.
>
> SM4 has many design flaws, e.g.
> i) ECU sends too high voltage to injectors, 4 resistors use up =
> waste 72.7% of voltage as heat, just to let injectors get a lower
> voltage ( 27.3% ).

Actually, this is normal design (my '85 turbo Volvo is the same). Injectors
are often made to work with less than 12 volts, and ballast resistors limit
the heat the injectors are subjected to. The wasted energy is unimportant.

> ii) gearbox has no ATF filter, so cannot be durable.

There wouldn't be any point to putting a filter in the auto tranny. The
fluid suffers from breakdown (as do all modern auto tranny fluids) before a
filter would pick up anything important. Any metal particles just settle to
the bottom of the tranny and are flushed out when the fluid is changed. My
daughter's '93 Accord is on its original tranny at over 210K miles, so the
durability can't be all that bad. It has already outlasted pretty much any
Taurus transmission :-) http://tinyurl.com/23w5nf

> iii) internal EGR is worse than useless in reducing combustion
> temperature.

That's a new one on me. The role of EGR is to dilute the combustion charge
and thus limit peak temperatures. How does that make the Honda EGR "worse
than useless?"

> iv) coil inside distributor gets too much heat, cannot produce
> enough ampere, & coil's lacquer insulation will crack.

The coil is plenty powerful when in good condition. Yes, the coil failure
rate is higher than we would like and is similar to the ignitor failure
rate... and much like the coil failure rate in most modern cars. Each is
likely to need replacement once during the long life of a well cared for
Honda - typically around 150K or 200K miles. I sometimes think it is a good
idea to replace the coil and ignitor at 150K miles, keeping the known
working ones as emergency spares, and to replace the alternator brushes
every 150K miles - as in all cars.

> v) cheapo exhaust manifold, if <2.2 litre.
>
> No wonder you hide your name, to bluff all you want.

So, what car do you recommend?

Mike

Old January 25th 07, 05:18 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >, "TE Chea" >
wrote:

> | I love this car.
>
> SM4 has many design flaws, e.g.
> i) ECU sends too high voltage to injectors, 4 resistors use up =
> waste 72.7% of voltage as heat, just to let injectors get a lower
> voltage ( 27.3% ).

The RC circuit copes with winding inductance, solenoid momentum, pull
strength versus hold strength, and allows for voltage drops while
cranking. It's not at all a flaw. It's getting exactly what you need
done with one or two inexpensive and robust components.

> ii) gearbox has no ATF filter, so cannot be durable.

[snip]

Oh, this posting only gets worse...