Check Engine Warning light appeared after filling engine oil!

Old June 29th 06, 10:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Check Engine Warning light appeared after filling engine oil!

Hello all,

I filled my E46 325ci engine with Castrol GTX 0w-40 and the 'Cehck
Engine' light has appeared on my dash!

Have i done something wrong!?

my hand book says

"Exhast emissions have deterioated. please arrange for a bmw service
check up"

Im surprised s i had have had a £850 oil service just 6 months ago,
and £250 later on for something else?

Is this serious, as maintence is starting to annoy me, it has only done
48000 miles and i only really drive it on weekends!

Can you help?

Thanks

Old June 30th 06, 01:51 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Get the code read to determine where the problem is.
Changing the oil is highly unlikely to cause an emissions problem.
Surely they did more that just change the oil for 850 pounds. Changing the
oil here in the US costs about $75 if you use the most expensive oil around.
Jim
ups.com...

Old June 30th 06, 01:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

" > wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I filled my E46 325ci engine with Castrol GTX 0w-40 and the 'Cehck
Engine' light has appeared on my dash!

Have i done something wrong!?

my hand book says

"Exhast emissions have deterioated. please arrange for a bmw service
check up"

Im surprised s i had have had a £850 oil service just 6 months ago,
and £250 later on for something else?

Is this serious, as maintence is starting to annoy me, it has only done
48000 miles and i only really drive it on weekends!

Can you help?

Thanks

I suspect you left the ignition on while you drained and refilled, so the
ESU noticed that the oil level fell below minimum and has put the check
engine light on.

Old June 30th 06, 01:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
R. Mark Clayton > wrote:
> > I filled my E46 325ci engine with Castrol GTX 0w-40 and the 'Cehck
> > Engine' light has appeared on my dash!

> > Have i done something wrong!?

> > my hand book says

> > "Exhast emissions have deterioated. please arrange for a bmw service
> > check up"

> > Im surprised s i had have had a £850 oil service just 6 months ago,
> > and £250 later on for something else?

> > Is this serious, as maintence is starting to annoy me, it has only done
> > 48000 miles and i only really drive it on weekends!

> I suspect you left the ignition on while you drained and refilled, so
> the ESU noticed that the oil level fell below minimum and has put the
> check engine light on.

I read the OP's post as topping up rather than changing. Perhaps I was
wrong?

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 1st 06, 12:04 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Oh.... The light is still showing though! do i have to rest it? do i go
to BMW or can i do it my self? iknow 99% that was the problem.

Can i eset it?

Old July 1st 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Oh.... The light is still showing though! do i have to rest it? do i go
> to BMW or can i do it my self? iknow 99% that was the problem.
>
> Can i eset it?

If it's like the loose gas cap fault, it will probably go off in a few days.

Tom K.