Installing engine oil temperature gauge - TJ

Old August 24th 05, 09:55 AM
TW

Default Installing engine oil temperature gauge - TJ

Hi All,

I want to install an engine oil temperature gauge on my '01 TJ without
having to drill a hole in the oil pan. What is the easiest way of doing
this. One of the local shops here suggested perhaps putting a tee on the
oil pressure hole on the block and see if it works. I thought I should ask
here and may be someone will be a brilliantly simple idea. The other option
was to use a oil filter sandwich plate (which is normally for engine oil
coolers), but I don't want the cooler at this stage because I don't know
whether I need it or not.

Thanks
TW
---------
'01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/D44
265/75R16 BFG Muds, JKS Quick Discos, OME Lift, 1" MML, 1" BL

Old August 24th 05, 11:51 PM
DougW

Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:
> If you put in a tee then your stock oil sending unit will still work. with
> all the computers on-board nowadays there may be problems if the computer
> thinks the engine has no oil pressure.
>
> And a tee will only cost a couple dollars and a few minutes work to install

Yeabut... without a flow of oil the temperature sensor will just indicate
block temperature. That's why they say to put it in the oil pan even
though that's a pain and to do it properly you should remove the pan
to get rid of any stray metal.

Old August 24th 05, 11:56 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'd think it would be close enough for government work, though.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 25th 05, 12:30 AM
Billy Ray

There won't be oil flowing through the tee (to somewhere else) but there
will be plenty of oil flowing past the hole in the block where the tee is
located. Sure you might be a few degrees off but I'm not sure it is
significant.

--
..
(remove SPAM)

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 25th 05, 09:27 AM
TW

"Billy Ray" > wrote in message
> If you put in a tee then your stock oil sending unit will still work.
> with all the computers on-board nowadays there may be problems if the
> computer thinks the engine has no oil pressure.
>
> And a tee will only cost a couple dollars and a few minutes work to
> install
>
> --
> .

Would the stock oil pressure unit work? Your comments contradicts itself in
a way that there may be problems??

I don't want problems. How about if I use a sandwich plate between the
filter and the filter mount. Do you know whats the thread / dimension for
the oil filter mount?

Thanks, appreciate your input.
TW

Old August 25th 05, 09:29 AM
TW

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:
>> If you put in a tee then your stock oil sending unit will still work.
>> with
>> all the computers on-board nowadays there may be problems if the computer
>> thinks the engine has no oil pressure.
>>
>> And a tee will only cost a couple dollars and a few minutes work to
>> install

> Yeabut... without a flow of oil the temperature sensor will just indicate
> block temperature. That's why they say to put it in the oil pan even
> though that's a pain and to do it properly you should remove the pan
> to get rid of any stray metal.

I agree with the logic and understand the concept, but thats a lot of work
to do it cleanly in the pan. Also, its one more thing closer to ground that
can get snapped by tree stump/stones.

Thanks
TW

Old August 25th 05, 09:32 AM
TW

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" > wrote in message
> I'd think it would be close enough for government work, though.
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/

Hey Bill, you would know this for sure. Can I use one of those sandwich
plates in the filter mount and put the sender unit that way? Whats the
thread size for the oil filter mount for 01 TJ I6. I was thinking perhaps I
can get the B&M engine cooling kit and use the cooler for the tranny oil and
use the sandwich plate for engine oil sender. Could that work?

Thanks
TW

Old August 25th 05, 09:33 AM
TW

"Billy Ray" > wrote in message
> There won't be oil flowing through the tee (to somewhere else) but there
> will be plenty of oil flowing past the hole in the block where the tee is
> located. Sure you might be a few degrees off but I'm not sure it is
> significant.
>
> --

Great, all the factory gauges are approximate anyway. Now I will add
another approximate gauge, brilliant. Is there anyway I can use any other
options?

TW