97 Accord Engine Maint. light, on or off?

Old January 24th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kraig

Default 97 Accord Engine Maint. light, on or off?

Hey all,

I've been googling a bit, but can't find much except this way to turn
off the light, if it's on
(I haven't tried this yet)
How to turn off 'Maintenance Required" light:
1. Hold trip/reset button on dash
2. Turn key to "ON" or start engine
3. Hold button til light goes out

I bought a 97 Accord LX 3 weeks ago and this morning I couldn't tell if
the Eng. Maint. light was on or not. It turns off when I turn the
lights off, and when the lights are on it's kind of dim (like me) but
it *could* be on, maybe? But would the engine maint. light go off with
the lights???

I am close to hitting 85k, so maybe something is supposed to be done at
that mileage? If anyone knows where I can look at the scheduled maint.
for this car, I would appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I know nothing of it's maint. history, it was sold to me
be a dealer AS IS, but I do have a name of the previous owner, I should
call them sometime.

Thanks much,

Kraig

Old January 24th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Kraig wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been googling a bit, but can't find much except this way to turn
> off the light, if it's on
> (I haven't tried this yet)
> How to turn off 'Maintenance Required" light:
> 1. Hold trip/reset button on dash
> 2. Turn key to "ON" or start engine
> 3. Hold button til light goes out
>
> I bought a 97 Accord LX 3 weeks ago and this morning I couldn't tell if
> the Eng. Maint. light was on or not. It turns off when I turn the
> lights off, and when the lights are on it's kind of dim (like me) but
> it *could* be on, maybe? But would the engine maint. light go off with
> the lights???
>
> I am close to hitting 85k, so maybe something is supposed to be done at
> that mileage? If anyone knows where I can look at the scheduled maint.
> for this car, I would appreciate it.
>
> Unfortunately, I know nothing of it's maint. history, it was sold to me
> be a dealer AS IS, but I do have a name of the previous owner, I should
> call them sometime.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Kraig

====================================

The owner's manual is Part of the Car. It says so in the front cover.
The service schedule is provided in the FINE manual. Get the dealer to
buy you one. Tell them you were told to read the FINE manual. The
maintenance light is a turned on by the MILEAGE since the last person
reset it.

'Curly'
Old January 24th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Kraig" > wrote in news:1169647853.246750.227360
@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Hey all,
>
> I've been googling a bit, but can't find much except this way to turn
> off the light, if it's on
> (I haven't tried this yet)
> How to turn off 'Maintenance Required" light:
> 1. Hold trip/reset button on dash
> 2. Turn key to "ON" or start engine
> 3. Hold button til light goes out
>
> I bought a 97 Accord LX 3 weeks ago and this morning I couldn't tell if
> the Eng. Maint. light was on or not. It turns off when I turn the
> lights off, and when the lights are on it's kind of dim (like me) but
> it *could* be on, maybe? But would the engine maint. light go off with
> the lights???
>
> I am close to hitting 85k, so maybe something is supposed to be done at
> that mileage? If anyone knows where I can look at the scheduled maint.
> for this car, I would appreciate it.
>
> Unfortunately, I know nothing of it's maint. history, it was sold to me
> be a dealer AS IS, but I do have a name of the previous owner, I should
> call them sometime.

This has been an Unofficial FAQ question for some time.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/maint...eqd-light.html
This page also tells you where to obtain a free Owner's Manual for your
car.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 25th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kraig

Thanks very much. I think I was just freaking out this morning, when
the lights are on the light almost looks on, but it wasn't on, but I
truly appreciate the FAQ.

I tried the reset button, it didn't change, so *obviously* I was just
paranoid, lol, THANKS EVERYONE!

Old January 25th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kraig

Okay, I've been playing with the buttons on the speedometer area, I
don't see any buttons below or on the steering column, trying the reset
trick, it didn't change anything so I'm thinking the light isn't even
on or I'm pressing the wrong button.

I have been pressing that little rectangular button and I tried the
trip reset button. I don't see any other buttons underneath, but I
might have missed something.

SO, basically, can anyone tell me if the Engine Maint. turns on and off
with the headlights? That wouldn't make sense to me, but I don't really
know.

It only looks *barely* on (if it's on at all) when the headlights are
on, like the backlight is slightly illuminating the Eng. Maint. light a
little.

I'm sure I'm worried about nothing probably, but it gives me something
to do at least, lol.

Thanks again.

Old January 25th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kraig

HEY, guess what. I found the manual, lol. Yup, it tells me to just
stick the key in the little hole there on the speedometer to reset the
light, which I was doing. So, I guess the dang light isn't on, lol.
Just being paranoid, waiting for the car to bust down or something, you
know how it is when you buy used eh?

So, nm. Thanks again!