02 Honda Civic EX (Please Help)

Old January 23rd 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 02 Honda Civic EX (Please Help)

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX. I am having trouble with the cars
gas mileage and also with power. Here is what its doing: Every time I
get to a ¼ of a tank it runs really bad. At first when I am starting
my car it has to crank like 4 or 5 times before it will fire up but if
I crank it once or twice and then turn it to the off position and then
try again it will fire right up like it is suppose to. The other things
it is doing is it will stall out on me when I try to accelerate and
sometimes will die unless I ride the clutch. Then when I am just
sitting at an intersection it will stutter and bog out like it wants to
die. The catch to it is though when I am on a full tank it runs fine
except for the bad gas mileage. I am not a mechanic by any means and I
have taken this car to 3 different people and have gotten 3 different
answers. I am tired of wasting my money with dishonest people.
The check engine light is on and it reads that the fuel is
running lean, but why would I be getting this bad of gas mileage. When
I say I am getting bad gas mileage I am getting about 200 miles to a
tank and anyone who owns a Honda knows that's horrible. The problems
that have been told to me are this

1. That I have a crack in my exhaust manifold.
2. I need a new fuel pump.
3. My fuel gauge is off.

I am hoping some one on here might be able to help me out on
figuring out what's going on so I can get my car back to normal
conditions.

Old January 23rd 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Hi,

If could be a number of things and a mechanic would be able to tell you
after checking it out. However like me you really want to know what is
happening, and mechanics are expensive you can cheat a bit. One way is
to buy an ODBII gadget. ODBII is a interface installed in all US cars
since 1996, that is by US law. So you will have such an interface. Hook
up the gadget and read off the code. That diagnostic code will tell you
why the CHECK ENGINE light is on.

My hunch / wild guess is that your Oxygen sensor is broken, or you have
a bad connection between the sensor and the cars engine control
computer. The sensor is saying "hey the mixture is lean lean lean" and
the computer is saying OKI'll compensate and tries to push as much fuel
into the engine as it can. Hence your high fuel usage.

If you Google ODBII there are a few web sites that explain the
interface. 2002 is a relatively new car, so I think the Oxygen sensor
may still be O.K. could be a lose connection. O2 sensors cost about $US
90, and I have been told are realatively easy to replace by yourself. I
have never done it myself!

Best, Mike.

Old January 23rd 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

wrote:
> I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX. I am having trouble with the cars
> gas mileage and also with power. Here is what its doing: Every time I
> get to a ¼ of a tank it runs really bad. At first when I am starting
> my car it has to crank like 4 or 5 times before it will fire up but if
> I crank it once or twice and then turn it to the off position and then
> try again it will fire right up like it is suppose to. The other things
> it is doing is it will stall out on me when I try to accelerate and
> sometimes will die unless I ride the clutch. Then when I am just
> sitting at an intersection it will stutter and bog out like it wants to
> die. The catch to it is though when I am on a full tank it runs fine
> except for the bad gas mileage. I am not a mechanic by any means and I
> have taken this car to 3 different people and have gotten 3 different
> answers. I am tired of wasting my money with dishonest people.
> The check engine light is on and it reads that the fuel is
> running lean, but why would I be getting this bad of gas mileage. When
> I say I am getting bad gas mileage I am getting about 200 miles to a
> tank and anyone who owns a Honda knows that's horrible. The problems
> that have been told to me are this
>
> 1. That I have a crack in my exhaust manifold.
> 2. I need a new fuel pump.
> 3. My fuel gauge is off.
>
> I am hoping some one on here might be able to help me out on
> figuring out what's going on so I can get my car back to normal
> conditions.

One simple guess is water or such in the gas somewhere; add gas drier
to tank and change fuel filter, (probably best to do at more or less
the same time). Both relatively cheap and easy and you have to change
the fuel filter every now and then anyway, so if it's wrong, no big
loss. If that doesn't do it, check fuel line pressure, might be a
clogged fuel line that needs to be blown out, might be the fuel pump,
might be a cloggy injector that might be fixable by injector cleaner or
might need replacing.