86 Chrysler 5th avenue. AC Update to R134 fitting.

Old March 13th 11, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob AZ

Default 86 Chrysler 5th avenue. AC Update to R134 fitting.

When someone updated my AC to R134, the replacement fitting is too
close to the bracket that connects the hose to the compressor. It will
not allow the quick connector from the guages to be used.

Will I be able to remove the fitting and reattach using an extender?

Thanks
Bob AZ
Old March 16th 11, 06:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:34:11 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ >
wrote:

>When someone updated my AC to R134, the replacement fitting is too
>close to the bracket that connects the hose to the compressor. It will
>not allow the quick connector from the guages to be used.
>
>Will I be able to remove the fitting and reattach using an extender?
>
>Thanks
>Bob AZ

It was my understanding that if you did it "by the book" those
retro-fittings were glued into place. Not sure if they are removable
but I assume the rule calling for the glue was intended to make them
non-removable. You might be able to get a right angle adaptor from an
AC supply shop that will fit where the gauge hose won't.
Old March 18th 11, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob AZ

"> It was my understanding that if you did it "by the book" those
> retro-fittings were glued into place. *Not sure if they are removable
> but I assume the rule calling for the glue was intended to make them
> non-removable. *You might be able to get a right angle adaptor from an
> AC supply shop that will fit where the gauge hose won't."

Ashton

Been looking at things and talking to some who have meaningful input.

I have purchased a 90 degree fitting that should do OK. But need to
remove the low side hose and flange to get it in. So will be doing new
hose assemblies, $120.00, new Receiver Drier. Actually the hose
assemblies, two each, consist of complete plumbing assemblies that are
compliant with R134A.

I put a wrench on the offending fitting and it was just over hand
tight. Thus the low R134A level. Need to gather a few more items and
will take a day to gew things up to normal.

Thankfully we are having a cool winter and spring. Last cold spell
coming next week. Then April will be here and the AC will be working
and ready for summer.

Thanks for the response.
Bob AZ